The Student Room Group

Autism and secondary school

How do you feel about secondary school as a autistic person?
Reply 1
You post a lot about school and autism
Original post by E.B5
You post a lot about school and autism

Yeah, I do because I have gcses coming up and I'm autistic. :smile:
ngl hated every single second of high school, college is better but not by much but that's probably due to other reasons.
I was diagnosed in Y12 so didn't have any support from Y7-Y11 hated all of it and always wanted to know why I was different and couldn't do things that others come
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I was diagnosed in Y12 so didn't have any support from Y7-Y11 hated all of it and always wanted to know why I was different and couldn't do things that others come

That's quite sad you got a late diagnosis (not to brag I got mine when I was 4). Do you now get support or is it still a struggle?
Original post by ILOVECHEESW
That's quite sad you got a late diagnosis (not to brag I got mine when I was 4). Do you now get support or is it still a struggle?

They mentioned it at primary school but my reception teacher was known for making fun of children (last year they taught reception) and then the other teachers mentioned it apparently and then my mum was against it (not against autism just because the fact that the teacher that bullied all the kids could have been right) and then after you start high school its quite weird so she didn't know if it was autism or just changing schools (obviously the autism made it worse) but I didn't really talk to her about school so she didn't know how much I struggled and then the other things that others could do I didn't know how to verbalize or didn't want to admit them so she was unaware of the autistic traits that I was displaying at school. But about once a year she would mention that she always thought that I was on the spectrum and then I would ask her why and then in Y10 I had a really long phase of not speaking to anyone at school but I spoke at home and then the school contacted my mum and the whole process started.
Sorry for the long rant
I get support now which is really good but I'm about to start uni and lets just say its been hard with sending them all the information that they want and it was getting them to accept the information but now I have a dedicated person they are amazing

Was reading this thread and i have a very similar story to you. I was diagnosed last month (i’m in yr12) and had struggles right from preschool. I’m so glad you finally got a diagnosis! If you have any advice or things i can do now i have the diagnosis i would love to know because i feel like i’ve got it and it’s just a label and it hasn’t given any extra support xx
Original post by anniewilsonn
Was reading this thread and i have a very similar story to you. I was diagnosed last month (i’m in yr12) and had struggles right from preschool. I’m so glad you finally got a diagnosis! If you have any advice or things i can do now i have the diagnosis i would love to know because i feel like i’ve got it and it’s just a label and it hasn’t given any extra support xx

So at my school I had a SEND meeting and we discussed challenges that I faced such as exams and noises, group work etc. and then we came up with solutions such as being able to sit bymyself so I'd didn't feel forced to talk to anyone, doing exams in a small room with breaks and extra time, and other things and overall it just made the teachers more understanding. If you show the diagnosis to the school they will have to make adjustments and if they don't then I would make a complaint as it is technically illegal
Original post by ILOVECHEESW
How do you feel about secondary school as a autistic person?

Although I was asked if I was autistic a few times in secondary school and considered it a little, I never took it seriously until year 12 and only sought professional diagnosis in year 13 when I was struggling a lot with my mental health and knew I had to do something about it.
I think this made lower school difficult for me as I had no support and tried too hard to fit in. It felt like I was an actor in the big show of life: never able to be myself. I used to pretend to not like things like programming and maths because they were seen as uncool even though I found it really fun. This inevitably led to mental health issues. I think I was depressed for much of lower school and was plagued by nervous tics. I don't think I was bullied but I was called things like robotic, encyclopaedia or geek (the usual's) and students and teachers alike constantly asked me why I very rarely smile or show emotion (people still do but at least I understand why now).
It was difficult but I think the lockdowns helped me as during them I did whatever I wanted and stopped caring so much what people thought of me. I have always been high achieving academically so that wasn't a problem for me and there were some fun moments in school so it wasn't all bad but I'm glad to be leaving now and am confident things will get easier. Sorry for the long message.
So at my school I had a SEND meeting and we discussed challenges that I faced such as exams and noises, group work etc. and then we came up with solutions such as being able to sit bymyself so I'd didn't feel forced to talk to anyone, doing exams in a small room with breaks and extra time, and other things and overall it just made the teachers more understanding. If you show the diagnosis to the school they will have to make adjustments and if they don't then I would make a complaint as it is technically illegal

School knows about the diagnosis and just want me to decide what help i want without any parameters.

Appreciate the reply and have got some ideas of what would be beneficial from your message xx
Original post by anniewilsonn
School knows about the diagnosis and just want me to decide what help i want without any parameters.

Appreciate the reply and have got some ideas of what would be beneficial from your message xx

hey
yk if u have asd , can you get a out of lesson pass?
in yr 11, smtimes class makes me anxious , and then i cant concentrate bcuz ,like im not in class anymore but just in my head? idk if that makes sense
Original post by ambrxxn1
hey
yk if u have asd , can you get a out of lesson pass?
in yr 11, smtimes class makes me anxious , and then i cant concentrate bcuz ,like im not in class anymore but just in my head? idk if that makes sense

asd as in autism spec disorder not the

Quick Reply

Latest