The Student Room Group

Contextual offers

Which unis make contextual offers for ppl with diagnosis of autism?
(Original post by Hamish MacLeod)Which unis make contextual offers for ppl with diagnosis of autism?

Autism isnt a case of contextual offers. Contextual offers are based on things like post code and schooling. Autism might be considered as extenuating circumstances but you will need to contac each university to find out
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by Hamish MacLeod)Which unis make contextual offers for ppl with diagnosis of autism?

Autism isnt a case of contextual offers. Contextual offers are based on things like post code and schooling. Autism might be considered as extenuating circumstances but you will need to contac each university to find out

This is not consistent with what I’ve read about contextual offers. I think it was Cardiff who included it as one of their criteria under the disability heading. Post codes are a different heading and so possibly not relevant here. I’ve read that some universities would not include autism, hence the question.
Original post by Hamish MacLeod
This is not consistent with what I’ve read about contextual offers. I think it was Cardiff who included it as one of their criteria under the disability heading. Post codes are a different heading and so possibly not relevant here. I’ve read that some universities would not include autism, hence the question.

A contextual offer is an offer whereby people are at a disadvantage due to their background ie poor upbringiing, having been in care or in a school whose results were lower than others. They are meant to overcome those difficulties and it will be everybody in that group. For example all students in a set school are covered by it and all students living in a set post code area will be covered. Illnesses or medical conditions are totally separate. Most universities will view them individually. There has been a policy by a few universities to place them in with contextual offers but most wont. You need to contact each university because although you are not entitled to a contextual offer they may well accept you due to your medical condition.

This might help you

Who is eligible?

Not all universities offer Contextual Offers, but the number who do is rapidly increasing. Eligibility varies from university to university but typically you must meet at least one of the following:

First generation higher education students (the first in their immediate family to attend university)
Students from low socio-economic groups
Students from schools with low progression
Students living in low-participation neighbourhoods
Students who have spent time in care
Students who are refugees or asylum seekers
Students who have participated in Access to University/Widening Participation programmes
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
A contextual offer is an offer whereby people are at a disadvantage due to their background ie poor upbringiing, having been in care or in a school whose results were lower than others. They are meant to overcome those difficulties and it will be everybody in that group. For example all students in a set school are covered by it and all students living in a set post code area will be covered. Illnesses or medical conditions are totally separate. Most universities will view them individually. There has been a policy by a few universities to place them in with contextual offers but most wont. You need to contact each university because although you are not entitled to a contextual offer they may well accept you due to your medical condition.

This might help you

Who is eligible?

Not all universities offer Contextual Offers, but the number who do is rapidly increasing. Eligibility varies from university to university but typically you must meet at least one of the following:

First generation higher education students (the first in their immediate family to attend university)
Students from low socio-economic groups
Students from schools with low progression
Students living in low-participation neighbourhoods
Students who have spent time in care
Students who are refugees or asylum seekers
Students who have participated in Access to University/Widening Participation programmes

Here’s what I’d already found.
784B059E-808D-4397-AE05-36E67370711B.jpeg
It seems there may be more than are on your list, but that’s cool. My actual question was about which universities do include autism, as I thought asking here may be more expedient than checking each website individually.
Original post by Hamish MacLeod
Here’s what I’d already found.
784B059E-808D-4397-AE05-36E67370711B.jpeg
It seems there may be more than are on your list, but that’s cool. My actual question was about which universities do include autism, as I thought asking here may be more expedient than checking each website individually.

People arent going to know as most universities wont state it. The purpose of contextual offers is to increase the numbers of students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Ever university has a different policy and most wont show autism but that doesnt mean that university might not give you special consideration. The only way to find is to contact the university.

The problem is some universities accept 1 flag some more and each university has different contextual flags.
People arent going to know as most universities wont state it. The purpose of contextual offers is to increase the numbers of students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Ever university has a different policy and most wont show autism but that doesnt mean that university might not give you special consideration. The only way to find is to contact the university.

The problem is some universities accept 1 flag some more and each university has different contextual flags.

Here is Bristols policy. It isnt mentioned because any medical conditions or illnesses are classed under special consideration. Ask them they might accept you.

Could I get a contextual offer?
You may be eligible for a contextual offer if one of the following statements applies to you:

You have attended an aspiring state school or college

You live in an area with low progression to higher education

You have completed a University of Bristol outreach programme

You have spent time in care

You attend a Venturers Trust secondary school

You receive (or have received) free school meals
Here is an example from Leeds. They require 2 flags

You will be eligible for Access to Leeds if you are a UK student and you meet two of the following six criteria:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending