The Student Room Group

My time at Secondary and regrets

2015 was my last year of Primary School and my parents wanted me to be in a special needs School because I was diagnosed with Autism and I have learning difficulties and when I was at the school, I really felt very uncomfortable as a kid because I wanted to be in a mainstream side but luckily the School has been in a partnership with another Secondary School so they put me there.

During my time with them

I was both students of both secondary schools and I wanted to be in the full mainstream class because I wanted to attend classes and do GCSE, so I requested that I want to be in mainstream class but the most frustrating part is, my Teacher hasn't been updating me on everything and it got me so upset about it because they have not been doing anything about it so I got screwed over sadly. I did not want to study the subject I wanted to do like IT and English and it has really disappointed me and I wanted to use those for College and unfortunately It was too late. I am still annoyed about it to this day because of the lack of transparency so I did not attend ANY GCSE's or A Level not even Btec because of this...

Year 11 happened and I got accepted to College but I had to take a foundation course so I had to study there, I wanted to make friends in the mainstream side but unfortunately the Covid-19 Pandemic happened so it severely affected my studies and I only passed my English exam so I left and I took the supported internship as a back up for my future because I went through mental health issues like depression and a lot of lack of confidence in my future because I failed maths and Maths is my biggest and my most HATED subject mostly because in Primary I didn't develop my Maths properly due to the abuses I got there.

Now I graduated my internship, I am now doing my Apprenticeship LVL 2 at the age of 20 and right now working my way to Level 6 but also, I really regret leaving College, I haven't stopped letting go of that for a year now

I wanted to make friends in a mainstream environment peer group so I can feel more mature and more open about my future.

It has been recently hard finding friends because I am no longer in college and I kept comparing myself to other people from mainstream like "Man.. he is getting a Degree at the age of 21 and here I am doing Level 2 at the age of 20..." The comparison has been kicking me so much. I feel like it will be too late because time is going very quick and I view this as "time is running out"

I still am trying my hardest to find friends at my age because I want be more connective.

It is all the doubt my Teachers and other people put into my mind by saying "It will be too difficult for you" I get it is true because I cannot handle the pressure of doing these hard exams but at the same time

I WANT A CHALLEGE

I want an advice:

Is there anything on how to deal with this feeling of regret?

How do I find friends at my age? ( I tried Meetup and more but it is too difficult and I don't want something that involves dating)

Does doing Level 2 Apprenticeship at the age of 20 feel too late to go to Level 6?

What is your thoughts?
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi
Don't bet yourself on this. I am telling you from personal experience. You are doing an amazing job by following your ambition. I am 30+ with dyslexia and have 4 kids English is my second language. I left college in 2008 without any good grades however did access courses (2017/18) and managed to start BSc (Hons) in adult nursing, jugal with study, kids, placement family, my mental health, and well-being. holistically exhausted. Guess what I didn't pass my final year which I don't have any regret because my baby needed me most at that point. So I know exactly what you mean by 'time running out'. Never give up.

I tell myself, that whatever happens, happens for reason.
“Verily, patience is a way to success.” Quran 103:2
Reply 2
Original post by FKhanom190214
Hi
Don't bet yourself on this. I am telling you from personal experience. You are doing an amazing job by following your ambition. I am 30+ with dyslexia and have 4 kids English is my second language. I left college in 2008 without any good grades however did access courses (2017/18) and managed to start BSc (Hons) in adult nursing, jugal with study, kids, placement family, my mental health, and well-being. holistically exhausted. Guess what I didn't pass my final year which I don't have any regret because my baby needed me most at that point. So I know exactly what you mean by 'time running out'. Never give up.

I tell myself, that whatever happens, happens for reason.
“Verily, patience is a way to success.” Quran 103:2

Thank you for the message

It has motivated me to keep my head high.

Quick Reply

Latest