The Student Room Group

Using laptop for uni exams

Hi so from year 9 onwards in secondary i was allowed to use a laptop for all exams. I have dyspraxia and i struggled to make my handwriting tidy. However my university is requesting proof and I don't know what to send them as i had no formalised assessment or anything like that. I just recall going to a therapist privately who then told the school via a letter i needed a laptop.It's been years (i'm 20 now) since i had contact with the school and even longer since this therapist, what can I do? I can't even remember the last time I hand wrote a piece of school work.
Reply 1
Original post by civicpride2506
Hi so from year 9 onwards in secondary i was allowed to use a laptop for all exams. I have dyspraxia and i struggled to make my handwriting tidy. However my university is requesting proof and I don't know what to send them as i had no formalised assessment or anything like that. I just recall going to a therapist privately who then told the school via a letter i needed a laptop.It's been years (i'm 20 now) since i had contact with the school and even longer since this therapist, what can I do? I can't even remember the last time I hand wrote a piece of school work.

That’s so frustrating! I had to do an assessment at GCSE and when I went onto A levels they required another assessment but neither let you keep the proof so I don’t understand what Universities expect really. The education system really does fail when it comes to disabled students. Your best bet would be trying to contact your therapist as they will have your records and if not you can do a medical assessment via your GP, they may not be able to provide you with a therapist but they can acknowledge your past and struggles in a medical summary.
Reply 2

Didn't you get a copy of the letter? Did your GP get a copy?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3

Medical records, any prescriptions or doctors letters would be great. Even something that mentions your diagnosis should be helpful - the more you have the better it will be to build your case
Reply 4

Hi dyslexic student with a similar conundrum, there just looking for proof so it's may be possible to have a conversation with the diversity and inclusion's department at your university, if not I'd recommend getting a private referral having your essays, come across clearly is vital to success in university
Original post by Muttley79
Didn't you get a copy of the letter? Did your GP get a copy?

No, I can't even remember what it was or what kind of assessment it was. I have a copy of a dyspraxia diagnosis and thats it (also autism and adhd which was diagnosed later)
Reply 6
No, I can't even remember what it was or what kind of assessment it was. I have a copy of a dyspraxia diagnosis and thats it (also autism and adhd which was diagnosed late

Maybe do some writing and show, that it would be useful for exams...
Hi, I believe that I suffer from Writers Cramp or Dyspraxia as I am unable to write properly with my dominant hand due to it cramping up or not coordinating with what my brain wants it to do. I recently finished my A levels which I had to type up (got A*A*A) and now I am off to study Medicine. I just wanted to ask if I should be looking to getting a diagnosis before informing the university so that I can use a laptop for University exams. Also is it even possible to do Medical school exams with this condition? I’m really scared as now I believe that all my hard work during A levels may have come to nothing :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Fingerscrossed27
Hi, I believe that I suffer from Writers Cramp or Dyspraxia as I am unable to write properly with my dominant hand due to it cramping up or not coordinating with what my brain wants it to do. I recently finished my A levels which I had to type up (got A*A*A) and now I am off to study Medicine. I just wanted to ask if I should be looking to getting a diagnosis before informing the university so that I can use a laptop for University exams. Also is it even possible to do Medical school exams with this condition? I’m really scared as now I believe that all my hard work during A levels may have come to nothing :frown:

Also try not to worry I'm sure if u have a conversation with the admissions office it will be okay

Quick Reply

Latest