The Student Room Group

Degree classification borderline question , pre- ponderance rule

I just received my degree classification as a 2:2. I am however on the borderline for a 2.1 and would only be considered for a 2.1 if 50% of my modules are in the higher classification. This is where the problem is because I just miss out on this 50% by one module at 59%, if this was increased by 1% I would be awarded a 2.1. I was wondering if it would be worth contacting my uni to see if they could do anything about it? I just feel helpless since its so close yet so far...
Has anyone else been in this situation?
Original post by enemysoilder
I just received my degree classification as a 2:2. I am however on the borderline for a 2.1 and would only be considered for a 2.1 if 50% of my modules are in the higher classification. This is where the problem is because I just miss out on this 50% by one module at 59%, if this was increased by 1% I would be awarded a 2.1. I was wondering if it would be worth contacting my uni to see if they could do anything about it? I just feel helpless since its so close yet so far...

It sounds like you are a near-miss, and that even with a back-up rule that allows near-misses to be given a higher classification in certain circumstances you don't qualify.

The university will have considered this as part of the classification process.

Your 59% mark was the academic judgement of the marker(s) concerned. You can't appeal academic judgement.

The lines have to be drawn somewhere, and unfortunately you've fallen just the wrong side of it.
Original post by martin7
It sounds like you are a near-miss, and that even with a back-up rule that allows near-misses to be given a higher classification in certain circumstances you don't qualify.

The university will have considered this as part of the classification process.

Your 59% mark was the academic judgement of the marker(s) concerned. You can't appeal academic judgement.

The lines have to be drawn somewhere, and unfortunately you've fallen just the wrong side of it.

I understand its academic judgement, but surely 1% isn't a big deal, like a difference between a 54 and a 55 or 56 is so little for example. i get that the judgment is meant to be stringent but its not like my assignment for that one module is going up an entire grade. its just 1 or 2 percent's for that assignment. I feel like academic judgement should also be subject to scrutiny since its only one person thats marking it. another marker could see the coursework as 56 or something etc rather than a 54. but I also understand that this allows markers to see the assignment as a 52 instead of a 54, vice-versa.

They can’t just arbitrarily raise one of your module grades.

They would need a credible academic reason, and things like this are always looked on more sceptically post results, their is no real harm in trying but frankly I don’t see it going anywhere.

Every year people end up on the wrong side of classification boundaries. Ultimately you should still be proud of what you have achieved.
Original post by mnot
They can’t just arbitrarily raise one of your module grades.

They would need a credible academic reason, and things like this are always looked on more sceptically post results, their is no real harm in trying but frankly I don’t see it going anywhere.

Every year people end up on the wrong side of classification boundaries. Ultimately you should still be proud of what you have achieved.

do you think the credible reason could be to counter the academic judgment? I ask for a remark but with the knowledge that the result can go down (not that it matters though as I would still be in a 2.2) but just the likelihood it does go up, by academic judgement of a different marker.
do you think the credible reason could be to counter the academic judgment? I ask for a remark but with the knowledge that the result can go down (not that it matters though as I would still be in a 2.2) but just the likelihood it does go up, by academic judgement of a different marker.

You can’t just invent a reason or ask for a remark, pre-existing valid academic grounds need to exist already.

How did it go?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
How did it go?

I ended up getting a 2.1 in the end as I got a good enugh grades in my finals :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending