The Student Room Group

I got a 3rd in second year is there any hope for a 2:2?

I got my second year grades back and I absolutely bombed 2nd year I came out with an average grade of 46% so I’m sitting heavy on a 3rd right now. My mental health was in shambles and unfortunately I wasn’t able to pull myself together to get the grades I needed. Now I’m in 3rd year wondering if this degree is even worth it if I’m going to come out with a 3rd overall. I was wondering if there’s any possibility of me being able to come out with at least a 2:2 and what percentage do you think I’d need in 3rd year. For some reference in my uni 2nd year is worth 25% and 3rd year is worth 75% overall
Reply 1
You have answered yourself
2nd year worth 25% of entire grade and 3rd year worth 75% so if you put in a decent year three result not only could you secure a 2:2 you could actually still secure a 2:1
To secure a 2:1 you need an overall grade of 60% - 69%
You got 46% in year two so that would mean you were circa 14% shy of a 2:1 grade in year two so would need to score just shy of 65% in Year 3 to now obtain a 2:1.
You just need to work that bit harder in Year 3 (5% harder) to get the better final result,
Not sure what your degree is on but clearly maths isn't your strong point.
Good Luck
Original post by Wagyu202
I got my second year grades back and I absolutely bombed 2nd year I came out with an average grade of 46% so I’m sitting heavy on a 3rd right now. My mental health was in shambles and unfortunately I wasn’t able to pull myself together to get the grades I needed. Now I’m in 3rd year wondering if this degree is even worth it if I’m going to come out with a 3rd overall. I was wondering if there’s any possibility of me being able to come out with at least a 2:2 and what percentage do you think I’d need in 3rd year. For some reference in my uni 2nd year is worth 25% and 3rd year is worth 75% overall

To get an overall average of 50 you need to average 51.33 in your final year. You should also check your degree regulations because most unis have methods of upgrading near misses.
Reply 3

Assuming this is calculated purely arithmetically, you'd need:

an average of 51.33% in year 3 for a 2:2;
an average of 64.67% in year 3 for a 2:1;
an average of 78% in year 3 for a first.

As @ageshallnot points out, many universities have rules for "near misses" -- typically if you're within 1 or 2% of the borderline.

Also, some universities have classification rules that allow some units to be excluded from the calculations -- for example, looking at the best 100 credits in each year rather than all 120 credits.

You'd need to check the regulations applicable to your university (and in some cases, to your specific programme) to be sure.
Reply 4
Original post by LsDad
You have answered yourself
2nd year worth 25% of entire grade and 3rd year worth 75% so if you put in a decent year three result not only could you secure a 2:2 you could actually still secure a 2:1
To secure a 2:1 you need an overall grade of 60% - 69%
You got 46% in year two so that would mean you were circa 14% shy of a 2:1 grade in year two so would need to score just shy of 65% in Year 3 to now obtain a 2:1.
You just need to work that bit harder in Year 3 (5% harder) to get the better final result,
Not sure what your degree is on but clearly maths isn't your strong point.
Good Luck

Wow at little diss at the end there 😭😭 but you’re not wrong made me feel much better overall about my situation tho thank you !!
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
To get an overall average of 50 you need to average 51.33 in your final year. You should also check your degree regulations because most unis have methods of upgrading near misses.

thank you I will do !
Reply 6
Original post by martin7
Assuming this is calculated purely arithmetically, you'd need:

an average of 51.33% in year 3 for a 2:2;
an average of 64.67% in year 3 for a 2:1;
an average of 78% in year 3 for a first.

As @ageshallnot points out, many universities have rules for "near misses" -- typically if you're within 1 or 2% of the borderline.

Also, some universities have classification rules that allow some units to be excluded from the calculations -- for example, looking at the best 100 credits in each year rather than all 120 credits.

You'd need to check the regulations applicable to your university (and in some cases, to your specific programme) to be sure.

Thank you !!
Reply 7
Wow at little diss at the end there 😭😭 but you’re not wrong made me feel much better overall about my situation tho thank you !!

You will smash it this year and come out with a 2:1
Good luck - You take care now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending