The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Degree Classification

Hi I am currently coming to the end of my degree and just curious about degree classification based on my grades.
I have looked at the regulations here: https://regulations.docstore.port.ac.uk/ExamRegs9BoardofExaminers.pdf
And have seen the rules below for working out degree classification:
5.4.3.4. The Board of Examiners shall recommend to a student who is eligible for the relevant award, as defined in the document Awards of the University of Portsmouth, the highest classification arising from the application of the following formulae:
a) the classification of the weighted mean of all relevant credits at Level 5 and all relevant credits at Level 6 in the ratio of 40:60 respectively after first discounting the marks in the worst 20 credits both at Level 5 and at Level 6;
b) the classification of the weighted mean of all relevant credits at Level 6 after first discounting the marks in the worst 20 credits at Level 6
c) the minimum classification in which more than 50% of the combined relevant credits at Level 5 and Level 6 were attained after first discounting the marks in the worst 20 credits both at Level 5 and at Level 6

I have also used the calculator here:
https://soc.port.ac.uk/dcalc/

I was just curious about the wording of rule C. Does that mean if I got 3 modules worth 20 credits graded at 60% in level 5 and another 3 modules of 20 credits graded at 60% in level 6 that I would get a final grade of 60% overall regardless of what I got from my dissertation which is worth 40 credits?

I was just a little confused and unsure if the calculator was correct,
Thank you!
Original post by NeoXlm
Hi I am currently coming to the end of my degree and just curious about degree classification based on my grades.
I have looked at the regulations here: https://regulations.docstore.port.ac.uk/ExamRegs9BoardofExaminers.pdf
And have seen the rules below for working out degree classification:
5.4.3.4. The Board of Examiners shall recommend to a student who is eligible for the relevant award, as defined in the document Awards of the University of Portsmouth, the highest classification arising from the application of the following formulae:
a) the classification of the weighted mean of all relevant credits at Level 5 and all relevant credits at Level 6 in the ratio of 40:60 respectively after first discounting the marks in the worst 20 credits both at Level 5 and at Level 6;
b) the classification of the weighted mean of all relevant credits at Level 6 after first discounting the marks in the worst 20 credits at Level 6
c) the minimum classification in which more than 50% of the combined relevant credits at Level 5 and Level 6 were attained after first discounting the marks in the worst 20 credits both at Level 5 and at Level 6

I have also used the calculator here:
https://soc.port.ac.uk/dcalc/

I was just curious about the wording of rule C. Does that mean if I got 3 modules worth 20 credits graded at 60% in level 5 and another 3 modules of 20 credits graded at 60% in level 6 that I would get a final grade of 60% overall regardless of what I got from my dissertation which is worth 40 credits?

I was just a little confused and unsure if the calculator was correct,
Thank you!

Clause (c) isn't terribly clear is it? I read is saying:
1. First discard the worst 20 credits at Level 5 and the worst 20 credits at level 6.
2. Then look at the 200 credits remaining. If more than 50% of them (i.e. more than 100 credits) would be classified as 2:1, then you get a 2:1.

So, in the scenario you describe, you would get a 2:1 overall. Is that what their calculator said?
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Clause (c) isn't terribly clear is it? I read is saying:
1. First discard the worst 20 credits at Level 5 and the worst 20 credits at level 6.
2. Then look at the 200 credits remaining. If more than 50% of them (i.e. more than 100 credits) would be classified as 2:1, then you get a 2:1.

So, in the scenario you describe, you would get a 2:1 overall. Is that what their calculator said?
Hi thank you for the response! Yeah that's what the calculator came out with I just wasn't sure if it was correct but thank you for clearing it up! I'm glad someone else agrees its rather confusing haha thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending