The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

WJEC Criminology

There are many cases on here of students wanting to take this. I have found this from UCL and many others dont accept it. Be wary of these courses
WJEC Applied Generals
The WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology is only accepted for entry to the BSc Crime and Security Science programme. This qualification is not accepted for any other programme at UCL.

All other WJEC Applied Generals are not accepted for any UCL Undergraduate Programme
Can somebody put this as a sticky as it is something that comes up a lot.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
There are many cases on here of students wanting to take this. I have found this from UCL and many others dont accept it. Be wary of these courses
WJEC Applied Generals
The WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology is only accepted for entry to the BSc Crime and Security Science programme. This qualification is not accepted for any other programme at UCL.

All other WJEC Applied Generals are not accepted for any UCL Undergraduate Programe

Hi my daughter is year 1 WJEC criminology and wants to apply to a top uni next year. She initially was looking at potentially Crim degree or English lit but she has now decided on English. When she asked her a level teacher, they said that the WJEC would be the same as A level for all subjects as she specifically asked knowing she may decide not to do Crim degree. This is clearly not the case and she will now come out with effectively just 2 a levels. What are her options? She is very likely to score high (A *'s) but universities will not even consider her. Does anyone have any tips/advice? We're obviously very disappointed and upset by this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by barry_44
Hi my daughter is year 1 WJEC criminology and wants to apply to a top uni next year. She initially was looking at potentially Crim degree or English lit but she has now decided on English. When she asked her a level teacher, they said that the WJEC would be the same as A level for all subjects as she specifically asked knowing she may decide not to do Crim degree. This is clearly not the case and she will now come out with effectively just 2 a levels. What are her options? She is very likely to score high (A *'s) but universities will not even consider her. Does anyone have any tips/advice? We're obviously very disappointed and upset by this. Thanks in advance for any help.

I dont know how many universities dont accept it but it appears UCL, Bristol and Birmingham dont and it it is highly unlikely others wont accept. This is part of the issue. For these universities your daughter only has 2 A levels so isnt going to get accepted. Unfortunately WJEC and many teachers dont tell students of the potential pitfalls.

McGinger who works in university admissions has been trying to advise students of these problems but there have been others on here who are teaching this subject trying to rubbish her knowledge. Having it put so clearly by UCL gets rid off their arguments.

As far as your daughter is concerned maybe it would be best for you to contact any universities she is interested in to see who actually is going to accept it. If she can find universities who will then she can apply there. That seems her best option at the moment as it is not known exactly who does and doesnt accept this qualification.

Another option is to restart year 12 taking a different subject or to fast track an A level. The big question is how restricted she will be with this subject and nobody knows exactly.

Is your daughter Welsh and taking Weklsh Bacc. She could use that in most places instead of an A level but there are also universities who dont accept that as well although I think Birmingham and Bristol still do
Reply 4
I dont know how many universities dont accept it but it appears UCL, Bristol and Birmingham dont and it it is highly unlikely others wont accept. This is part of the issue. For these universities your daughter only has 2 A levels so isnt going to get accepted. Unfortunately WJEC and many teachers dont tell students of the potential pitfalls.

McGinger who works in university admissions has been trying to advise students of these problems but there have been others on here who are teaching this subject trying to rubbish her knowledge. Having it put so clearly by UCL gets rid off their arguments.

As far as your daughter is concerned maybe it would be best for you to contact any universities she is interested in to see who actually is going to accept it. If she can find universities who will then she can apply there. That seems her best option at the moment as it is not known exactly who does and doesnt accept this qualification.

Another option is to restart year 12 taking a different subject or to fast track an A level. The big question is how restricted she will be with this subject and nobody knows exactly.

Is your daughter Welsh and taking Weklsh Bacc. She could use that in most places instead of an A level but there are also universities who dont accept that as well although I think Birmingham and Bristol still do

Thanks for the swift reply and advice. She is not Welsh, course she is taking is in Hertfordshire. We have contacted a lot of universities and there are some that accept it but all that do are not really her choices. Well explore the option of a fast track A level as well. Thanks again
Thanks for the swift reply and advice. She is not Welsh, course she is taking is in Hertfordshire. We have contacted a lot of universities and there are some that accept it but all that do are not really her choices. Well explore the option of a fast track A level as well. Thanks again

It would be very useful to ow who does and doesnt accept it so others can be advised. Can you say who has told you they will and wont.
Reply 6
It would be very useful to ow who does and doesnt accept it so others can be advised. Can you say who has told you they will and wont.

So far it's 2 in Cambridge that would judge it on application but is not a No (though I suspect it is!) and Warwick I believe. we're waiting on others and Durham said they need to investigate further. I'll update you when we hear from others.
So far it's 2 in Cambridge that would judge it on application but is not a No (though I suspect it is!) and Warwick I believe. we're waiting on others and Durham said they need to investigate further. I'll update you when we hear from others.

Great

Hi hope your ok. Did your daughter have any luck getting into university with her diploma? My daughter is wanting to do it and have been told she won't have a problem getting accepted? Wanting to ensure she's making the right choice
Original post by Rachel3674
Hi hope your ok. Did your daughter have any luck getting into university with her diploma? My daughter is wanting to do it and have been told she won't have a problem getting accepted? Wanting to ensure she's making the right choice

I suggest you contact universities she is intending applying for before she takes this up. Schools are selling this qualification and telling potential students that is accepted when there are numerous universities that dont. Birmingham, Bristol and UCL dont and there are likely others. If a university doesnt accept it then if your daughter takes this with 2 A levels she effectively only has 2 A levels so wont get accepted.

There is a similar issue with the Welsh Bac. A number of universities dont accept that. It tends to be very top universities and particularly in London
Thank you. Shes considering more local universities Iike leeds, Nottingham, lincoln. Ill contact the ones she is considering and see what they say.
Hi do you have any update . I’m studying criminology and I’m wondering the same thing
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Collystudent2021
Hi do you have any update . I’m studying criminology and I’m wondering the same thing

I had the same concerns but he got through to interview at Oxford and has been offered places to study Law at Durham, Newcastle, York and Northumbria. As other posters have said, I would check with the Universities. My son wishes he had chose Politics instead but did not know what he wanted to do at the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending