The Student Room Group

final choice

hi
my final choice for a levels is 3d design/fine art/geography (this is due to me not having an art gsce), computer science, core math and criminology
my main uni choice is Cambridge is this accepted for architecture.
Original post by JF ZAK
hi
my final choice for a levels is 3d design/fine art/geography (this is due to me not having an art gsce), computer science, core math and criminology
my main uni choice is Cambridge is this accepted for architecture.

Entry requirements at Cambridge are set by the individual colleges. If you check the Architecture entry requirements by College for 2024 entry you will note that most have no specific subject requirements, although some require A level Mathematics or A level Physics (and Sidney Sussex requests an "A Level in an essay-based subject".

It's also worth pointing out that the Entry Requirements section of the Architecture page says that, of the successful applicants coming from an A level background, "90% took Maths, 90% took Art & Design and 53% took Physics (84% took Art & Design, plus either Mathematics, Physics or both)."
There are no particular entry requirements, though Art would be the most helpful (as a portfolio is required). Computer science is not fully related but you could still make it work I suppose. Geography is a bit more relevant and could also help if you could make it work.

Criminology though? Really don't recommend.

Cambridge is very competitive, so think over your subject combinations and strengths carefully (not to discourage you, but re-evaluate)
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Entry requirements at Cambridge are set by the individual colleges. If you check the Architecture entry requirements by College for 2024 entry you will note that most have no specific subject requirements, although some require A level Mathematics or A level Physics (and Sidney Sussex requests an "A Level in an essay-based subject".

It's also worth pointing out that the Entry Requirements section of the Architecture page says that, of the successful applicants coming from an A level background, "90% took Maths, 90% took Art & Design and 53% took Physics (84% took Art & Design, plus either Mathematics, Physics or both)."
thanks that y i choose maths as i know i can do good and for art i chose 3d design
Reply 4
Original post by autonomous-warbl
There are no particular entry requirements, though Art would be the most helpful (as a portfolio is required). Computer science is not fully related but you could still make it work I suppose. Geography is a bit more relevant and could also help if you could make it work.

Criminology though? Really don't recommend.

Cambridge is very competitive, so think over your subject combinations and strengths carefully (not to discourage you, but re-evaluate)
i dont get y i should re-evaluate
also whats so wrong with criminology r u suggesting to do law
Why criminology? If you want to maximise your chances of Cambridge, I would take a level maths, art and design, and physics
Reply 6
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Why criminology? If you want to maximise your chances of Cambridge, I would take a level maths, art and design, and physics
im doing physics at triple science gsce i know i can get a grade 8/9 but it took me long to understand and having sixth form being 2 years i dont think i can get the A*AA required
the problem is that i also cant do an art gsce being now at yr 10 bit late some sixth form dont require so i can do 3d design or art fine art if lucky.
also criminology was a 4th a level and i knw i can get an A* easy even if i did law as some say criminology isnt accepted as not a level but a wjec
what do u recommend after reading?
Original post by JF ZAK
i dont get y i should re-evaluate
also whats so wrong with criminology r u suggesting to do law

The issue with Criminology is that it isn't an A level. (Well, unless some exam board has come out with a Criminology A level since last I checked.)

I suspect the course is actually a WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology. The issue is the some universities are a bit squeamish about these qualifications. Cambridge, for example, say on their Check which qualifications we accept page that, "We do not accept Applied Certificates and Diplomas for any courses at Cambridge."

Sometimes schools and colleges mislead students into thinking that something which is equivalent to an A level is actually an A level. So do carefully check exactly what this Criminology qualification really is.
Reply 8
The issue with Criminology is that it isn't an A level. (Well, unless some exam board has come out with a Criminology A level since last I checked.)

I suspect the course is actually a WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology. The issue is the some universities are a bit squeamish about these qualifications. Cambridge, for example, say on their Check which qualifications we accept page that, "We do not accept Applied Certificates and Diplomas for any courses at Cambridge."

Sometimes schools and colleges mislead students into thinking that something which is equivalent to an A level is actually an A level. So do carefully check exactly what this Criminology qualification really is.
yh check
its still a wjec
so u think law is better
Original post by JF ZAK
yh check
its still a wjec
so u think law is better

Yes. Not because it's law, but because it's an actual A level.
Reply 10
Yes. Not because it's law, but because it's an actual A level.
okay thats fine there isnt a big difference between them is there

Quick Reply

Latest