The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Advice on finding single semester accomodation in Nottingham

I will be starting my master's course at the University of Nottingham this semester. As part of this course, I will be spending the spring semester aboard at one of the university's foreign campuses. Therefore, I require accommodation in Nottingham only for the Autumn semester. Whilst searching for accommodation options, I am noticed that the vast majority of those advertised give a tenancy period spanning the whole of the academic year. If anyone could recommend student accommodation in Nottingham, which they know is available for a single semester tenancy, please could you pass on your recommendations.
Original post by Anonymous
I will be starting my master's course at the University of Nottingham this semester. As part of this course, I will be spending the spring semester aboard at one of the university's foreign campuses. Therefore, I require accommodation in Nottingham only for the Autumn semester. Whilst searching for accommodation options, I am noticed that the vast majority of those advertised give a tenancy period spanning the whole of the academic year. If anyone could recommend student accommodation in Nottingham, which they know is available for a single semester tenancy, please could you pass on your recommendations.

Stay in halls for 1 semester maybe (call the accommodation team), or find someone who is looking for a 1st semester tenancy takeover bit i think this will be tricky tbh.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by mnot
Stay in halls for 1 semester maybe (call the accommodation team), or find someone who is looking for a 1st semester tenancy takeover bit i think this will be tricky tbh.

Thanks for the advice.

I've already looked in university arranged halls; however, only the most basic options are available at an inflated rate. I'm hoping other option become available nearer to the start of term. Otherwise, I may have to resort to the uni-arranged halls.

What did you end up doing? I am in the same position going into next year
Reply 4
What did you end up doing? I am in the same position going into next year

I ended up staying at Raleigh Park. I preferred Raleigh Park over Broadgate Park, which was the only other university arranged Halls of Residence offering a single semester stay option. Broadgate Park appeared to have a smaller living space on the unviersity accommodation website and cost more than Releigh Park. The latter is also far closer to the city centre. It cost me £2,453.00 to stay at Raleigh Park for 19 weeks, which is exactly half of what Raleigh Park was charging for a 44 week stay. The prices have gone up for the next academic year. I paid all my rent in one installment. Consquently, I did not require a guarantor. I also did not pay any rent until I received the first installment of my Master's Loan on the 1st October, which was a couple weeks into my tenancy. At Raleigh Park, I stayed in a shared flat with 5 other students who were at least 3 years into their undergraduate degrees. They were all friendly, and were all staying in Nottingham for single semester international exchanges. I was also successful in receiving my entire deposit of £250 back from Raleigh Park on the 8th March, over five weeks after completing my tenancy.

One of my classmate studying the same course, opted to rent a room in a house. She had a 12 month contract, but was able to find another student to sublet to during the Spring term. The student she sublet to left when the the Spring term finished. This means classmate has to pay for the room out of pocket over the summer. This arrangement wouldn't have suited me because I wanted to move back to my parent's once I returned to the UK.
Reply 5
I ended up staying at Raleigh Park. I preferred Raleigh Park over Broadgate Park, which was the only other university arranged Halls of Residence offering a single semester stay option. Broadgate Park appeared to have a smaller living space on the unviersity accommodation website and cost more than Releigh Park. The latter is also far closer to the city centre. It cost me £2,453.00 to stay at Raleigh Park for 19 weeks, which is exactly half of what Raleigh Park was charging for a 44 week stay. The prices have gone up for the next academic year. I paid all my rent in one installment. Consquently, I did not require a guarantor. I also did not pay any rent until I received the first installment of my Master's Loan on the 1st October, which was a couple weeks into my tenancy. At Raleigh Park, I stayed in a shared flat with 5 other students who were at least 3 years into their undergraduate degrees. They were all friendly, and were all staying in Nottingham for single semester international exchanges. I was also successful in receiving my entire deposit of £250 back from Raleigh Park on the 8th March, over five weeks after completing my tenancy.

One of my classmate studying the same course, opted to rent a room in a house. She had a 12 month contract, but was able to find another student to sublet to during the Spring term. The student she sublet to left when the the Spring term finished. This means classmate has to pay for the room out of pocket over the summer. This arrangement wouldn't have suited me because I wanted to move back to my parent's once I returned to the UK.

Only just seen this reply, sorry! I have applied for Raleigh park but they are not sure about availability for single semester students. I stayed in Raleigh Park as a fresher so I know all about it already (I've missed the Lidl!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending