The Student Room Group

Clearing offer no email

I received a verbal offer from a un but haven’t received and email yet and they said they would send it by the afternoon.

Normally this would be fine but I’m scared they will retract their offer. This is because I called them twice this morning.

First call: they gave me an offer verbally, but then after talking more they took it back in the same call bc I said I did a semester at a university sept-dec 2022 and left for health reasons and i didn’t like the uni, and they said sorry no.

Second call: 3 hours later, was put on the phone with a different person. Before the call started I told them I did previous study and left - they said it was fine and confirmed all my details and I said it a further 3 times I had done previous study and left- the person on the phone said yes that it was fine. They gave me a verbal offer, said congratulations and said I’d receive an email by the afternoon.

Now what do I make of this as I haven’t received an email from this uni. And i had 2 different answers?
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anoraeb
I received a verbal offer from a un but haven’t received and email yet and they said they would send it by the afternoon.

Normally this would be fine but I’m scared they will retract their offer. This is because I called them twice this morning.

First call: they gave me an offer verbally, but then after talking more they took it back in the same call bc I said I did a semester at a university sept-dec 2022 for health reasons and i didn’t like the uni, and they said sorry.

Second call: 3 hours later, was put on the phone with a different person. Before the call started I told them I did previous study and left - they said it was fine and confirmed all my details and I said it a further 3 times I had done previous study and left- the person on the phone said yes that it was fine. They gave me a verbal offer, said congratulations and said I’d receive an email by the afternoon.

Now what do I make of this as I haven’t received an email from this uni. And i had 2 different answers?

In the first phone call did they give you a reason for withdrawing the offer?

Is there a reason why you have told them you withdrew from your previous university? I am not sure why this would make a difference. If you have grades that meet the offer and a clearing number they don't need any more than that.

What time did you receive the second offer?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by She-Ra
In the first phone call did they give you a reason for withdrawing the offer?

Is there a reason why you have told them you withdrew from your previous university? I am not sure why this would make a difference. If you have grades that meet the offer and a clearing number they don't need any more than that.

What time did you receive the second offer?

The reason they withdrew was solely because I did a semester elsewhere last year. That is what they said on the phone (although the woman on the phone had to keep going back and forth asking someone what to do)- so during the first call they gave and took it back. This was at around 8.30am.

^ I told them i withdrew from a uni previously bc the woman on the phone said ‘we would be happy to give you an offer on your grades achieved last summer and this is your first time at uni’ - from this i got a bit confused and concerned, my sister who’s already graduated was helping me and told me to tell them incase they rejected me through ucas later which is worse. So i then told her I withdrew last December and only did a semester, she then said she would get back to me and ask. When she came back she said sorry no.

Second call same uni, same conditions, met all req. was at around 10.15am. Told the guy 4 times total that i had done 1 semester of previous study and he said it was fine.

So Yh that’s why i was confused, my sister also agreed idk why attending one semester elsewhere makes a big difference?
It is only 12:30.
Reply 4
Original post by random_matt
It is only 12:30.

True, but this circumstance is a bit weird and im scared, so want to know what other people think of this.

I have offers at nottingham and birmingham for the same course and have received confirmation emails so was just scared about this uni bc it is my first choice😭
Original post by anoraeb
True, but this circumstance is a bit weird and im scared, so want to know what other people think of this.

I have offers at nottingham and birmingham for the same course and have received confirmation emails so was just scared about this uni bc it is my first choice😭

There's not much more we can say before 1pm when you apply I'm afraid :redface:
Original post by anoraeb

This is such a strange situation. I am sorry it has been so confusing and not straightforward.

Which uni are you waiting to hear from?

Have you checked your spam or junk?

That is brilliant you have offers from Nottingham and Birmingham. I went to Brum and I loved it.
Reply 7
Original post by She-Ra
This is such a strange situation. I am sorry it has been so confusing and not straightforward.

Which uni are you waiting to hear from?

Have you checked your spam or junk?

That is brilliant you have offers from Nottingham and Birmingham. I went to Brum and I loved it.

Honestly was super stressful, it was the first place I called too so it was not a good start bc i really want to go to this uni (warwick). I was crying so hard after bc obviously they gave it to me, took it back, and i thought other unis wouldn’t offer me just bc i went uni last year for a single semester 🥲
Original post by anoraeb
Honestly was super stressful, it was the first place I called too so it was not a good start bc i really want to go to this uni (warwick). I was crying so hard after bc obviously they gave it to me, took it back, and i thought other unis wouldn’t offer me just bc i went uni last year for a single semester 🥲

:console:

Ok lovely I would advise you call Warwick now and explain you are still waiting on a confirmation email. You don't need to explain anything.

:hugs:

You absolutely within your right to stop attending a university if going there does not serve you - this is OK.

Let me know how you get on. :heart:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
hi, update: long story short I am being forwarded to head of admissions (HOA).

I called them about an email and was put on hold as they were finding out where it was for about 15 mins. They asked the time of my offer and i told them. He said he wasn't sure what has happened and HOA will call me later to confirm my details and what happened during this call.

It isn't looking too good :frown: bc now it seems(not sure if this is true) they can't even find my offer on the system and are gonna call me - they have stopped taking places for the course.

Original post by She-Ra
:console:

Ok lovely I would advise you call Warwick now and explain you are still waiting on a confirmation email. You don't need to explain anything.

:hugs:

You absolutely within your right to stop attending a university if going there does not serve you - this is OK.

Let me know how you get on. :heart:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by anoraeb

I called them about an email and was put on hold as they were finding out where it was for about 15 mins. They asked the time of my offer and i told them. He said he wasn't sure what has happened and HOA will call me later to confirm my details and what happened during this call.

It isn't looking too good :frown: bc now it seems(not sure if this is true) they can't even find my offer on the system and are gonna call me - they have stopped taking places for the course.

Ok - I am glad to hear Warwick are taking this seriously and you are now in touch with the HOA.

I am truly sorry you are having this experience.

I have everything crossed for you. Let's see what they come back with.

As back up have you visited Birmingham or Notts? What are you planning to study? They are both excellent universities in superb cities. However, I appreciate your heart is set on Warwick and this has been a really hard day for you so far.

Hang in there :hugs:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by anoraeb

Morning :heart:

Just checking in - how did you get on yesterday?

:crossedf:
Reply 12
Original post by She-Ra

Hey, unfortunately that was correct and that is normally the unis policy to not take in students who have already dropped out even of its just a semester.

(Personally think the rule is a bit ableist since I left for health reasons and I said that in the first call and they said no)

Luckily during my call with the head of admissions because my academic profile was good they have given me a verbal offer on the condition I get some stuff emailed to them by Monday:

-reference from my old uni stating my code of conduct, performance/grades whilst I was there
-and them stating I’m fit to study

however, my old uni won’t know about my health status so I was told a GP letter would be okay.
Called the GP and said it could take two weeks for a letter, I said it was urgent so they said to come to the surgery and if they could get it done yesterday. After lots of rushing and crying yesterday I managed to get an appointment for Saturday to do the letter with a GP.

My old tutor at uni is writing my reference -since they wrote my UCAS reference in Jan they already had a base so they’re just editing it so would be able to do it before Monday!! Only thing is they don’t have time to pull out my exact grades bc I left and it’s a busy time for unis to do it besides Monday but he said he could write that I achieved a first class average with coursework 70% and above because that is what he wrote before which is true- I hope that is fine for them? and I’ve never broken any codes of conduct and was part of many societies so I hope that this is all okay! I’ll update you next week once I am firmly placed!

Fingers crossed they let me in! I honestly don’t see what the issue would be if they didn’t!
Reply 13
Original post by She-Ra

Also because I have to get all the evidence together sadly I’ll have to give up my place at notts because they want me to reply by 5pm today but I can’t, birmingham have been kind to give me an extension to Monday afternoon :smile:
Original post by anoraeb
Also because I have to get all the evidence together sadly I’ll have to give up my place at notts because they want me to reply by 5pm today but I can’t, birmingham have been kind to give me an extension to Monday afternoon :smile:

Original post by anoraeb
Hey, unfortunately that was correct and that is normally the unis policy to not take in students who have already dropped out even of its just a semester.

(Personally think the rule is a bit ableist since I left for health reasons and I said that in the first call and they said no)

Luckily during my call with the head of admissions because my academic profile was good they have given me a verbal offer on the condition I get some stuff emailed to them by Monday:

-reference from my old uni stating my code of conduct, performance/grades whilst I was there
-and them stating I’m fit to study

however, my old uni won’t know about my health status so I was told a GP letter would be okay.
Called the GP and said it could take two weeks for a letter, I said it was urgent so they said to come to the surgery and if they could get it done yesterday. After lots of rushing and crying yesterday I managed to get an appointment for Saturday to do the letter with a GP.

My old tutor at uni is writing my reference -since they wrote my UCAS reference in Jan they already had a base so they’re just editing it so would be able to do it before Monday!! Only thing is they don’t have time to pull out my exact grades bc I left and it’s a busy time for unis to do it besides Monday but he said he could write that I achieved a first class average with coursework 70% and above because that is what he wrote before which is true- I hope that is fine for them? and I’ve never broken any codes of conduct and was part of many societies so I hope that this is all okay! I’ll update you next week once I am firmly placed!

Fingers crossed they let me in! I honestly don’t see what the issue would be if they didn’t!

This all sounds so positive - I am hugely optimistic that all will be well once Warwick have the letter from the GP and your letter from the personal tutor.

The personal tutor being your UCAS reference was a stroke of genius indeed.

Well done you for not letting this go and doing everything you can to get this over the line.

I appreciate Nottingham's position and it is great to hear Birmingham are being so honouring of this situation.

Everything crossed for you for Monday :h:
Reply 15
I sent off a requested document for a uni through clearing- they said they needed it by Monday. I sent it on Friday at 5.30pm, and they still haven’t processed my offer.

I gave them a call at 9.30 this morning and the clearing person sent an email to admissions to check my email but im still being processed:frown:

How long will it take I’m very anxious as I had to turn down an offer at another uni to wait for this on friday and now im gonna have to turn down another one today ive been holding onto as i reached the maximum time limit for those offers.

I’m concerned what if i don’t get accepted and now i just wont have a place at uni. Also accommodation deadline for this uni is tomorrow and I definitely wont be processed in time.
Original post by anoraeb
I sent off a requested document for a uni through clearing- they said they needed it by Monday. I sent it on Friday at 5.30pm, and they still haven’t processed my offer.

I gave them a call at 9.30 this morning and the clearing person sent an email to admissions to check my email but im still being processed:frown:

How long will it take I’m very anxious as I had to turn down an offer at another uni to wait for this on friday and now im gonna have to turn down another one today ive been holding onto as i reached the maximum time limit for those offers.

I’m concerned what if i don’t get accepted and now i just wont have a place at uni. Also accommodation deadline for this uni is tomorrow and I definitely wont be processed in time.

Do these things, in this order, in the next 40 mins:
1. Phone that other offer back and ask for an extended deadline due to the delays taken by another uni to process paperwork. If they still have space they'll make that happen.

2. Phone your top choice and ask if they've received your email.

3. Start your accommodation application at the top choice now.
Reply 17
Original post by 04MR17
Do these things, in this order, in the next 40 mins:
1. Phone that other offer back and ask for an extended deadline due to the delays taken by another uni to process paperwork. If they still have space they'll make that happen.

2. Phone your top choice and ask if they've received your email.

3. Start your accommodation application at the top choice now.

I cant apply for accommodation because I havent been confirmed on the course so i dont have a uni id from them to even access the portal :frown:

I just called them and they said there’s nothing they could do and they are processing it. The other uni has already given me an extension and they have said no.
Original post by anoraeb
The other uni has already given me an extension and they have said no.

Hello, I'm confused about what you mean by this?
They've said no to a further extension?
Threads merged

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending