The Student Room Group

Is worth it going to Nottingham or bristol through clearing

I have gotten all my offers from including from York and Southampton. But I really want to go to Nottingham, when I was applying weren’t the best and York+SH were a long shot. Sort of wishing I applied to a bigger Russell group like Leeds, Nottingham or Bristol. What do you guys think? ( is a larger uni better? )
Larger universities can be much more isolating. I get the appeal, but smaller campuses means you’re more likely to meet people and bump into them on passing. Larger campuses you’ll never see the same people twice in a row.

For example, a large university may have hundreds of people on a singular course, meaning you’d get to know a scarce few. Outside of lessons, such as walking back to your accommodation it could feel lonely. Many courses have cross over paths meaning not everyone in your first semester classes will be there for second semester classes, as different modules cross over with different courses, and classes are grouped differently at bigger universities to sometimes make smaller groups. This means it’s more unlikely that you’ll make friends who are in many classes with you.

Universities like York are highly renounced. My brother went to Nottingham with 44,000 students and didn’t make a single friend. He left and went to York afterwards and much preferred the friendlier and closer knit atmosphere.

Any Russell group university is respected, although for an undergrad, for most courses university ranks are irrelevant for jobs anyhow, as many of the courses are accredited by the same groups.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by 2B2Z
I have gotten all my offers from including from York and Southampton. But I really want to go to Nottingham, when I was applying weren’t the best and York+SH were a long shot. Sort of wishing I applied to a bigger Russell group like Leeds, Nottingham or Bristol. What do you guys think? ( is a larger uni better? )
The first and perhaps most important thing to say is these universities might not have your course available in clearing. Last year very few courses from Leeds and Bristol were in clearing.

As far is a large university better that depends on how you see it. These is very little benefit going to say Bristol instead of Southampton. They are broadly of similar standings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending