The Student Room Group

Firm choice?

which universities should I pick for my firm? in terms of the city, accommodation etc.

I want to study sociology and criminology

My predicated grades are:
BTEC national diploma business: D*, D
Sociology: C

City university of London
Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth
Hi there, moved your thread to the applications forum :smile:

Which of these universities do you prefer?
Nobody can answer this but you. It is down to personal choice and 1 persons like is anothers dislike. Attend visit days and see which is right for you. You have several months to make this decision. Dont do anything until April at the earliest.
Reply 3
a) Course - look at the optional units for all 3 years of each course - which would you choose to do if you went there?
b) Think about the cost of being there - for instance, Loughborough and Portsmouth will be a great deal cheaper than City.
c) You have until 6 June to make this decision - and you do not get extra brownie points for doing this early. Take time to think, consider and reconsider.
Original post by Anonymous
which universities should I pick for my firm? in terms of the city, accommodation etc.

Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Have you visited them yet?
Check which ones have visit days available for applicants in the spring so you can visit and see for yourself
Original post by Anonymous #1

Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Hi,

Great to see you are considering University of Southampton. I am a current University of Southampton Student. I can talk a bit about the University of Southampton.

In terms of the city, there is lots to do. If you are interested going on nights out, there are an array of bars and nightclubs including the University's own bar on campus. There are also 200+ societies available to join depending on your interests where you can find like-minded people. It is a lively city, but there is also the opportunity to go to more quieter areas such as the Southampton Common which is just below the main campus.

The city is well connected with buses. And with your accomodation you will get a free bus pass so you can travel for free. The accomodations are dotted around Southampton. The largest being Glen Eyre and Wessex Lane both within walking distance from the main campus. There are variety of different accomodations to such as ensuite/non-ensuite or self-catered/part-catered as well as different size rooms depending on your preferences. The accomodations also have different facilities available. You can also choose whether you want, quiet, alcohol free, single gender etc. You can find out more here

My recommendation is you visit the uni to get a feel for the area. If you have already received your offer, you will be able to book on to a visit day. There, you will receive a talk about your subject area as well as get a chance to have a campus tour and explore the city.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
Reply 6
you can visit the cities and see

Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Hi there,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough 🙂

I have just finished my second year at Loughborough so can give you a bit of insight about Loughborough. There is so much to do and get involved in at Loughborough- you are never short of opportunities. There is so much to get involved in: from sport to societies and RAG and so much more! I personally chose Loughborough because of the campus and the initial great vibes it gave when I first visited. Loughborough has a great community feel and the campus has amazing facilities. I wanted to be on a campus as everything is in one place and is easily accessible. I really like the campus and community feel of Loughborough it really feels like a student town.

I tend to spend most weekdays on campus as there is lots going on for example studying, watching sports teams play and nights out at the union! Weekends I usually go into town more. As Loughborough can't offer what big cities can offer we sometimes get the train to Nottingham or Leicester, for a city atmosphere, which are both about 20 minutes away and easy enough to do. We have a campus shuttle which runs every 10 minutes and also goes into town and to the train station which is very convenient.

I would recommend taking a look at our accommodation page here. I personally think Loughborough offers a great range of accommodation options and I enjoyed my time in halls in first year.

If you have any further questions please do ask.

Alex

Loughborough
Royal Holloway
Southampton
Portsmouth

Hi there,

It’s great to hear you’re considering studying Sociology and Criminology at Royal Holloway!
Our campus is one of the most beautiful in the world with numerous teaching and study spaces, bars and cafés, high-quality accommodation, and sports facilities. Visit our campus and get a real feel for student life at one of our Open Days. You can find out more on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/visit-royal-holloway/open-days/

We have a fantastic range of accommodation to suit a range of preferences and budgets. There are lots of options for you, both on and off campus so you can find a place that’s ideal for every stage of your studies. Find out more on this page: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/

Our students know us better than anyone and can tell you all about life at Royal Holloway, from what the courses are like, to accommodation options and what’s available on campus! If you have any questions about the course, you can chat to a current Criminology and Sociology student here: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat/

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Royal Holloway, University of London rep
Hi there,

We're here and ready to help with any questions you may have.

Take your time to consider the pros and cons of all and see what feels right for you. Either way, you've got this!

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending