The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm also looking to apply to MPhil music, but my account is new and I can't message you... could you message me? I'd love to talk!
Original post by musicstudent64
Prospective course: MPhil Musicology
Achieved (or expected) grade: Expected First
Nationality: UK
Current (or last) university: University of York, (Vanbrugh College)
Current (or last) course: BA Music
College preferences: Pembroke, not sure on 2nd choice
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Yale, Durham, KCL, Edinburgh

Any other music applicants to any universities please message me - I'd love to chat :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Thanks for reaching out. Of course - I'll PM you now. :smile:
Original post by shibe16
Hello! I'm also looking to apply to MPhil music, but my account is new and I can't message you... could you message me? I'd love to talk!
@musicstudent64 @shibe16

I’m starting the MPhil course in Music this 2022 Michaelmas term (music and science; past degrees not from Cambridge in musicology and performance). Let me know if you have any questions and if I can help at all!
Original post by musicstudent64
Thanks for reaching out. Of course - I'll PM you now. :smile:

Thanks for messaging! Unfortunately I realised that my account still isn’t “ready” to even reply :frown: I’ll get back to you as soon as my account lets me!
Not a problem - thanks for letting me know. I look forward to our conversation! :smile:
Original post by shibe16
Thanks for messaging! Unfortunately I realised that my account still isn’t “ready” to even reply :frown: I’ll get back to you as soon as my account lets me!
Thank you so much for reaching out - I'll PM you if that's okay please!
Original post by muzicfriend
@musicstudent64 @shibe16

I’m starting the MPhil course in Music this 2022 Michaelmas term (music and science; past degrees not from Cambridge in musicology and performance). Let me know if you have any questions and if I can help at all!
Original post by muzicfriend
@musicstudent64 @shibe16

My account can finally send messages, could I PM you to ask a few questions please?
Original post by shibe16
My account can finally send messages, could I PM you to ask a few questions please?

Of course; go ahead!
Prospective course: PhD in Cancer Biology
Achieved (or expected) grade: Undergraduate degree- first
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: University of Leicester
Current (or last) course: Master of Research Clinical Science- in progress
College preferences: currently researching
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LFaulkner1
Prospective course: PhD in Cancer Biology
Achieved (or expected) grade: undergraduate degree- first
Current (or last) university: University of Leicester
Current (or last) course: Master of Research Clinical Science
College preferences: currently researching
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford

Hello everyone.
I am beginning to look over the application form and what be interested to anyone else's thoughts on College preference
For the course I am applying to there is the option to not select a preference.
My initial thoughts were not to go for a graduate college (I didn't go to a collegiate undergrad university so would want the full experience), and probably wouldn't select a girls' only college either. I not concerned about geographical location much either as campus seems small enough that the difference
Accommodation seems an important consideration but I don't know if I would live in the college anyway and am considering private accommodation.
I would be interested to hear what factors other applicants are taking into consideration when selecting a college.
I would also be interested to hear if anyone has any insight into how the University processes this and whether you are at a disadvantage by selecting the more academic colleges.
Hello everyone.
I am beginning to look over the application form and what be interested to anyone else's thoughts on College preference
My initial thoughts were not to go for a graduate college (I didn't go to a collegiate undergrad university so would want the full experience), and probably wouldn't select a girls' only college either. I not concerned about geographical location much either as campus seems small enough that the difference
Accommodation seems an important consideration but I don't know if I would live in the college anyway and am considering private accommodation.
I would be interested to hear what factors other applicants are taking into consideration when selecting a college.
I would also be interested to hear if anyone has any insight into how the University processes this and whether you are at a disadvantage by selecting the more academic colleges.

If you don't want a graduate college and you are female but don't want an all female college, then you absolutely need to put down a college preference. After that though, it's not a big deal, pick the architecture you like best, or the nicest college colours. People massively overthink college selection.
Reply 31
Prospective course: Earth Science PhD
Achieved (or expected) grade: 2.i in Electronic Engineering Bachelors, Predicted Pass (only pass/fail grade) MScR Physics
Current (or last) university: RG University
Current (or last) course: RG University
College preferences: Jesus, Selwyn
Other universities you’re applying to: not sure
Hello everyone.

Select Selwyn or Queens.
Hey guys - I want to apply for the PhD Geography. I am concerned about my chances, as I only recieved a 66 for my MPhil at Cam (1st BA at other uni). I know that most PhDs at Cam require 70 in a Masters, however the geography department and Cam site does not mention the requirement for a Masters degree, which seems very odd.

I know offers are given for a myriad of reasons, but would my 66 leave me unqualified, or is it still possible to do a phd at cam, seeing as the geog phd doesn't technoically require a postgraduate degree?

Any insights would be helpful, as i did ask the department directly but they basically ctrl c&v'd the website info to me. Thanks!
Hello Everyone!

I am an American national applying for the Ph.D. in Asian & Middle Eastern Studies at Cambridge. New to the Student Room, so bear with me.

Question- if an application states "Sent to PAO," does that mean that the department and/or supervisor has accepted your application? Not saying I have reached there yet, but saw a few posts about it and thought it be worth an ask.

Cheers!
Original post by haiders
Hello Everyone!

I am an American national applying for the Ph.D. in Asian & Middle Eastern Studies at Cambridge. New to the Student Room, so bear with me.

Question- if an application states "Sent to PAO," does that mean that the department and/or supervisor has accepted your application? Not saying I have reached there yet, but saw a few posts about it and thought it be worth an ask.

Cheers!

Yes. This is explained in the very first post on this thread, btw. Also, here - https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/application-process/what-happens-next
Original post by sayswho
Yes. This is explained in the very first post on this thread, btw. Also, here - https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/application-process/what-happens-next

Saw this, but wanted to be sure. Thank you!!
Original post by haiders
Hello Everyone!

Cheers!

Also got changed to "under review by department" today, so fingers crossed!
Out of curiosity what is the likelihood that one gets denied admission by the Degree if accepted by the department?
Original post by haiders
Out of curiosity what is the likelihood that one gets denied admission by the Degree if accepted by the department?

Depends on a myriad of internal things no-one knows in detail unless they are on the committee. Overall, not many get turned down by the degree committee, but individually, there's no knowing how an application might be read.

Latest

Trending

Trending