The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

MSt AI Ethics & Society - Cambridge - 2024

Hi there! I haven't seen a thread for this year's cohort. Anyone else here applied for this course?
(edited 1 month ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I'm an offer holder for the MPhil in Ethics of ADA, so not the same degree but a 'sister program' from the same centre!
I also wonder how many people in the student room applied to the MSt. Hope there's a bunch. 😃

The application deadline is in 4 days, have you already submitted it?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by Dranox
Hi! I'm an offer holder for the MPhil in Ethics of ADA, so not the same degree but a 'sister program' from the same centre!
I also wonder how many people in the student room applied to the MSt. Hope there's a bunch. 😃
The application deadline is in 4 days, have you already submitted it?

Hey! Huge congratulations on your offer!

I finally submitted my application a few weeks ago. Thinking I may be a long shot to be accepted, as I have a less academic background than many others. Hoping my work experience will help though. Fingers crossed!
Original post by sperz003
Hi there! I haven't seen a thread for this year's cohort. Anyone else here applied for this course?

I have; but haven’t heard anything yet…
Reply 4
Hey! Huge congratulations on your offer!
I finally submitted my application a few weeks ago. Thinking I may be a long shot to be accepted, as I have a less academic background than many others. Hoping my work experience will help though. Fingers crossed!

Hi! I just applied.....Same goes for me actually re: academic background. What sector do you work in?
Reply 5
Original post by 212nyc
Hi! I just applied.....Same goes for me actually re: academic background. What sector do you work in?

Oh nice! I'm coming from a tech background, social platform side. What about you?
I left it to the last minute to apply - my reference letter writers will not appreciate that... I was surprised that one of the videos I watched said the class size was 40-50. I should probably look for previous threads to see how well that works - it seems a little too large. But, whatever, I will try not to be too disappointed if I don't make it to the interview stage :cry:
Reply 7
Oh nice! I'm coming from a tech background, social platform side. What about you?

oh cool! I've been in finance mainly but recently moved over to tech doing corporate compliance/risk mgmt
Original post by Troy_Tempest
I left it to the last minute to apply - my reference letter writers will not appreciate that... I was surprised that one of the videos I watched said the class size was 40-50. I should probably look for previous threads to see how well that works - it seems a little too large. But, whatever, I will try not to be too disappointed if I don't make it to the interview stage :cry:

The class size does appear to be in the 40-50 range. In 2021, 49 offers were made from 113 applications and, in 2022, it was 56 offers from 121 applications. Not every one accepted the offer. I have yet to find the 2023 numbers. On another thread, people speculated that the number of applications probably increased in 2023 after the release of ChatGPT.
Reply 9
Interesting, can you provide the sources for previous years’ offer numbers?
Original post by Dranox
Interesting, can you provide the sources for previous years’ offer numbers?

There was a link from last year's thread to a site that assists with FOI requests: MSt in AI Ethics and Society admission statistics 2022 - a Freedom of Information request to University of Cambridge - WhatDoTheyKnow The one for 2021 can be found in the section called "requests like this" on the right-hand side of the page. Both are provided as PDFs.
(edited 1 month ago)
The 2023 numbers were in the FAQ section - I always forget to read the materials provided... In any case, they stated that "over 175 applications" were received. The class size was the same as other years. It's not unreasonable to assume that application may well be >200 this year. In which case, many of us will be disappointed. I am preparing my plan B...
Reply 12
Thanks! I was also expecting a strong increase since ChatGPT was a total game-changer of public awareness. And it really did increase significantly, and just like you said might even increase more this year.
Btw, I couldn't find the newest FAQ at first, so if anybody is interested it's available on this page, at the very bottom:
https://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/course/mst-ai-ethics-and-society
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Troy_Tempest

Same here, submitted a few hours before the deadline. Hope I can at least get an interview oppotunity.
Reply 14
Good to see this thread. I applied to this course. Fingers crossed! Will be following the activity here to know more about the outcomes..
Hey, I applied for this course too. Has anyone heard back yet either positively (interview) or negatively (rejected)?

Best of luck to all of you!
Hey, I also applied for this course and didn't hear anything yet. I think it will take more time than the years before, so maybe we will have to be patient for a few days or weeks more.

Best of luck to you all too 🙂
Reply 17
Hey guys
I got an interview
Original post by J.ioak
Hey guys
I got an interview

Congratulations! Fingers are crossed 🙂 If I may ask: when did you receive that offer?
Reply 19
Original post by J.ioak
Hey guys
I got an interview

Congrats!
When is your interview?
Do you know who will interview you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending