The Student Room Group

BSc Computer Science by Goldsmiths (University of London) via Coursera?

Hello everyone, just last year (2019) the University of London introduced a new BSc Computer Science to be run via Coursera with academic direction by Goldsmiths.

As this is relatively new I cannot find much information about the quality of the content and students` experience with their material.

Does anybody have any experience with this course? Is anyone here enrolled, if so could you share your experience so far?

Thanks!
Reply 1
I'm also interested to know more if people have any infos
Reply 2
A current student has left quite a negative review of the course in question. Here I quote it: "Taking online program for CS, just to get formal education. I have 20+ years of experience in the domain so I think I can judge. Bottom line: consider more options. This one is not the best. 1. Courses content.
Out of 8 courses I've already seen, the content of 6 of them (and most important ones) is good. 2 others however are awful: the content is simply not a university grade, also for God knows what reason, a team work is mandatory in one of them and it looks like the team work prevails over the subject of the course 2. Quizzes, exams Some courses have many errors in online quizzes. It takes months to get your notes after the exams. Currently, in the mid of spring session, I still don't have evaluation of mid term for some of the last fall session courses. There is also no way to get reasoning why do you get this or that note and no way to get reevaluation, if you do not agree. The course team do what they want w/o any supervision.
3. How competitive will you be after getting a degree? I think, your chances to get a job in the domain are close to zero unless you already have relevant experience. In my case, Bsc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence, it does not look like this degree will help me to convert from Software Engineer to Machine Learning engineer unless I study on my own, 10 times more than the program offers". This was sourced via Google Maps.co.uk, review of Goldsmiths, University of London, retrieved on 19/07/2020.

Hope this is helpful. With this mind, I decided not to go ahead.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I think all of the online courses have come up short in reviews, unfortunately. It seems like its a case of picking the least worse one, if you are set on a distance-learning conversion Msc.
Reply 4
Original post by Krood
Thanks for the reply. I think all of the online courses have come up short in reviews, unfortunately. It seems like its a case of picking the least worse one, if you are set on a distance-learning conversion Msc.

If you are looking for a MSc online conversion into Computer Science, you may want to look at the MSc run by Bath University, it appears to have a good reputation amongst students.
Reply 5
Original post by Randnom
A current student has left quite a negative review of the course in question. Here I quote it: "Taking online program for CS, just to get formal education. I have 20+ years of experience in the domain so I think I can judge. Bottom line: consider more options. This one is not the best. 1. Courses content.
Out of 8 courses I've already seen, the content of 6 of them (and most important ones) is good. 2 others however are awful: the content is simply not a university grade, also for God knows what reason, a team work is mandatory in one of them and it looks like the team work prevails over the subject of the course 2. Quizzes, exams Some courses have many errors in online quizzes. It takes months to get your notes after the exams. Currently, in the mid of spring session, I still don't have evaluation of mid term for some of the last fall session courses. There is also no way to get reasoning why do you get this or that note and no way to get reevaluation, if you do not agree. The course team do what they want w/o any supervision.
3. How competitive will you be after getting a degree? I think, your chances to get a job in the domain are close to zero unless you already have relevant experience. In my case, Bsc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence, it does not look like this degree will help me to convert from Software Engineer to Machine Learning engineer unless I study on my own, 10 times more than the program offers". This was sourced via Google Maps.co.uk, review of Goldsmiths, University of London, retrieved on 19/07/2020.

Hope this is helpful. With this mind, I decided not to go ahead.

To conclude, can I apply for masters in Oxford for Computer science with Goldsmith university of London degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending