The Student Room Group

A2 question on dreaming - Help?

It's for AQA A.

A) Consider neurobiological theories of the function of dreaming. (12)
B) Evaluate these theories in terms of alternative theoretical accounts.

I actually don't understand the question. I don't know how to answer it!

I know the type of things to involve, such as Hobsons activation synthesis theory, but how I go about answering it is completely unknown to me. :s
How would I even structure this? And how do I evaluate the theories in terms of alternative theoretical accounts?!

Any help?
:smile:
Reply 1
For B) I think you would say whether the theories you've talked about are good/bad in relation to other theories e.g. are there other theories that are better? are the theories you've talked about a better explanation than others?
So I'm saying if neurobiological theories are better than psychological?
Reply 3
SuicideCommando
So I'm saying if neurobiological theories are better than psychological?

Well, I don't do Psychology lol (at least I didn't at A Level) but the question's worded in a similar way to other questions I've come across and it does seem like it's asking you to do that.

It's asking you to criticise (or compliment, for the lack of a better word) the theories by talking about other theories, as opposed to criticising it another way (such as saying it's not descriptive enough or something).
Reply 4
Consider in this case means describe in detail. Evaluation means strengths and weaknesses. Note that the part a question refers to neurobiological theories, so describe both activation synthesis and reverse learrning accounts of dreaming. Also note the word 'theories' for part b0, so I'd go for 2 but no more than 3 psychological theories. Otherwise, you'll lose marks for partial performance. So, to sum up do the following for this question:

1. Describe activation sythesis and reverse learnign theories of dreaming in detail (but don't go OTT).

2. Give the strengths and weaknesses of these theories using key terms (e.g. empirical evidence) and research to support/contradict your arguments wher possible (e.g. the spiky anteater study).

3. Describe 2/3 psychological theories (link to your evaluation where poss) of dreaming. E.g. wish fulfilment & problem solving.

4. Evaluate these theories as in point 2.

Finish by concluding which theory is better (based on evidence presented in essay) if any.

Hope this helps!

Latest

Trending

Trending