The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
French is also quite competitive as far as modern languages are concerned, like Spanish. So they're less likely to let you walk in a ab initio while there are people fighting each other for places who have slaved over the language for years. Less popular languages like Italian and German generally require much lower grades.

If you're looking at Warwick, Oxford, Durham etc. Yes you will need an A in French. But if you're looking at Universities more in the league of the ones I have applied to (in my signature) then you'll more likely need a B. There are lots of places available where you won't need an A, I've throughly looked into it because I know I can't get an A in French.
Lexi_
If you're looking at Warwick, Oxford, Durham etc. Yes you will need an A in French. But if you're looking at Universities more in the league of the ones I have applied to (in my signature) then you'll more likely need a B. There are lots of places available where you won't need an A, I've throughly looked into it because I know I can't get an A in French.

You do know that Bristol often ask for an A in French? I had an A in AS French when I applied there, and was predicted one for A2, and they still rejected me flat out. Also, although Edinburgh claim to want BBB, in reality, they accept very few candidates who are actually predicted or expecting to get a B in the subject they want to continue. They also rejected me, despite predicted grades of AAAB and the same in achieved grades.

Not trying to damped your hopes or anything, but I don't think it's right to tell the OP that Bristol and Edinburgh are examples of universities he or she could expect to get into to if they're not going to get an A.
Reply 22
Joanna May
You do know that Bristol often ask for an A in French? I had an A in AS French when I applied there, and was predicted one for A2, and they still rejected me flat out. Also, although Edinburgh claim to want BBB, in reality, they accept very few candidates who are actually predicted or expecting to get a B in the subject they want to continue. They also rejected me, despite predicted grades of AAAB and the same in achieved grades.

Not trying to damped your hopes or anything, but I don't think it's right to tell the OP that Bristol and Edinburgh are examples of universities he or she could expect to get into to if they're not going to get an A.

Bristol was a bit of a dicey one because their offer range is so wide (AAB-BBC) for French and German. Nowhere in the prospectus or on the website does it indicate that an A is required in French. I know two people who do languages at Bristol and I'm pretty sure they weren't specifically asked for an A in French. As far as I'm aware Bristol are quite reputable for languages and yet the prospectus states from French single offers the typical offer is BBB-BBC. So if you're right then that's a lot of people who have been deceived.

However inspite of all this Leeds shall be my firm choice and I already have my offer from there. :yep:
The difference is that although the offer might be BBB, they often give them to people expected quite a lot higher than that. It's like Edinburgh, I've seen very few people accepted there who were expected to get BBB, and they reject a lot of people who were predicted a great deal higher.

But congratulations on Leeds. :smile:
Reply 24
Joanna May
The difference is that although the offer might be BBB, they often give them to people expected quite a lot higher than that. It's like Edinburgh, I've seen very few people accepted there who were expected to get BBB, and they reject a lot of people who were predicted a great deal higher.

But congratulations on Leeds. :smile:

Yeah ok Bristol was a bad example, lol. I only really applied there because I didn't know where else to apply, I thought about withdrawing my application the other day but then I still don't have anywhere I'd rather replace it with so theres not a lot of point.

Will be bit gutted if Edinburgh reject me though :frown:
Yeah, it's a big of an ego-crush, but if you don't really want to go there anyway,you'll get over it quickly enough! Obviously I hope you aren't rejected, but if you are, it doesn't mean anything really, just that some people were better than you this time, and that's just life in general!
Reply 26
Joanna May
Yeah, it's a big of an ego-crush, but if you don't really want to go there anyway,you'll get over it quickly enough! Obviously I hope you aren't rejected, but if you are, it doesn't mean anything really, just that some people were better than you this time, and that's just life in general!

Yeah, lol, I more hope one of my friends gets into Bristol (same course as me), it's her first choice after Oxford. Needless to say she's got a lot more chance than I. The biggest frustration is the wait. Is it just me or do language applicants seem to have to wait longer than most. :s-smilie:
I can't believe I didn't know that Lancaster offers ab initio French. Like some people on here, I wasn't able to take French at school. I'd love a career working for the EU and everyone knows a very good level of French is essential. And now, after applying, I have stumbled across this very thread! Don't get me wrong, I do really want to do ab initio German, but knowing what I know about getting a career in the EU, do I let my findings sway me into changing courses?
Reply 28
Leggy Lucy
I can't believe I didn't know that Lancaster offers ab initio French. Like some people on here, I wasn't able to take French at school. I'd love a career working for the EU and everyone knows a very good level of French is essential. And now, after applying, I have stumbled across this very thread! Don't get me wrong, I do really want to do ab initio German, but knowing what I know about getting a career in the EU, do I let my findings sway me into changing courses?

I don't know if you know this, but you have to do 3 subjects in your first year at Lancaster... and then providing you pass the year, you can (normally) change major at the end of first year... I am not sure whether you're allowed to do 2 ab initio languages, but it might be worth checking. Hope this helps:smile:
*banana
I don't know if you know this, but you have to do 3 subjects in your first year at Lancaster... and then providing you pass the year, you can (normally) change major at the end of first year... I am not sure whether you're allowed to do 2 ab initio languages, but it might be worth checking. Hope this helps:smile:

Well when I was choosing which 2nd language to do at Uni, I wanted to do French or German, but when I researched the French option, nowhere offered it ab initio, hence why I chose German (even though I would still like to do German) but now I know this about French at Lancaster I'm feeling pretty confused. It's always been a dream of mine to become fluent in French and when I found out that Lancaster do actually offer it ab initio, I'm tempted to phone them up and ask if I can switch courses. Doing 3 subjects would be ace as it'd allow me to do some European Studies stuff which could be useful if I chose to pursue the EU as a career option.

Do you go to Lancaster then? Because admittedly, one of the things that put me off was that it doesn't seem to have a very established Languages department, so if you can change my mind about this I may have to seriously re-consider! If you'd prefer to PM your experiences, that's fine. Infact, PM me everything about Lancaster because it's the one Uni I hadn't given much thought to up until last night!

Latest

Trending

Trending