The Student Room Group

Exeter vs SOAS

I’m looking to study Arabic and politics and I’m in between SOAS and Exeter at the moment. Exeter seems to be the more well regarded uni but living in London for uni would be a dream and tbh it’s my biggest draw towards SOAS since I keep hearing that Exeter is super boring with not much to do. It’s low ranking is putting me off though bc I want to go into law after uni and it’s pretty elitist. Does anyone have any insight for what the Arabic course is like at either uni or what life is like at Exeter?
Original post by Sarah9102
I’m looking to study Arabic and politics and I’m in between SOAS and Exeter at the moment. Exeter seems to be the more well regarded uni but living in London for uni would be a dream and tbh it’s my biggest draw towards SOAS since I keep hearing that Exeter is super boring with not much to do. It’s low ranking is putting me off though bc I want to go into law after uni and it’s pretty elitist. Does anyone have any insight for what the Arabic course is like at either uni or what life is like at Exeter?

where diid you end up going?
Original post by Sarah9102

Hi, thanks for your message. I'm a final year undergraduate studying Arabic and International Relations at SOAS University. The Arabic department at SOAS is great and super encouraging. The first two years we focused mainly on grammar, doing translations, learning lots of vocab with some speaking practise and in final year (fourth year) its mostly translations. My favourite part of the degree is the year abroad (in third year) to a language institute in Jordan where the language really came to life as we immersed in the local culture, met so many new people, interacted with Arabs, engaged in debates, listened to series, news reports and did speaking presentations every week. It was so much fun as the teachers were soo nice and offered us trips around the country and lots of cultural immersion activities like dabke (traditional Jordanian dance) classes, food workshops and Arabic calligraphy. Life at SOAS is also great as its a friendly, diverse, cosmopolitan community of students from all over the world and there are over 100+ societies you can get involved in like MENA, sports, feminist society etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending