The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

SOAS vs Queen Mary

Ive applied for international relations at both SOAS and queen Mary, I did visit QMUL and I did enjoy it, I have only been to SOAS years ago since both my sisters attended. I am highly debating on which uni to pick, I've seen and heard a lot of mixed reviews about both universities.

I was wondering how these factors where at the two universities:
-social life
-graduate prosepcts
-teaching and acadmics
-overall vibes
-student satisfaction
Honestly, social life is what you make of it at any uni. Graduate prospects are going to be pretty much equivalent between the two. I don't know much about the academic side for that department at each specifically. Student satisfaction you can see from NSS results; I was very happy with the teaching and lecturers in my area at SOAS (different field) but the admin is absolutely awful. I very nearly put in a formal complaint about issues the admin caused but decided it would just cause me event more time and energy once I finally got them to sort the issue so decided against it...even by general uni standards the admin there is shocking.

No idea how you measure "vibes" so...
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly, social life is what you make of it at any uni. Graduate prospects are going to be pretty much equivalent between the two. I don't know much about the academic side for that department at each specifically. Student satisfaction you can see from NSS results; I was very happy with the teaching and lecturers in my area at SOAS (different field) but the admin is absolutely awful. I very nearly put in a formal complaint about issues the admin caused but decided it would just cause me event more time and energy once I finally got them to sort the issue so decided against it...even by general uni standards the admin there is shocking.

No idea how you measure "vibes" so...

thank youuu :smile:, thag did help me a bit
Original post by chia1303
Ive applied for international relations at both SOAS and queen Mary, I did visit QMUL and I did enjoy it, I have only been to SOAS years ago since both my sisters attended. I am highly debating on which uni to pick, I've seen and heard a lot of mixed reviews about both universities.

-social life
-graduate prosepcts
-teaching and acadmics
-overall vibes
-student satisfaction

Hi this can be a really tough decision and having applied to both unis, I remember being in the same position. I'm now a final year Arabic and International Relations student at SOAS and I'm really glad I chose the uni. SOAS is a very lively and diverse uni as there's people from all over the world so it's a great place to experience different cultures and make friends. The students union is super active so there's always stall events and things going on in the students union like the last Friday of every month the bar is open late and there's live performances from the drama/music society. Theres also over 100 societies you can join and participate in sports clubs, cultural societies like MENA, Pakistan Society, Debating, Feminist, Creative Writing society and so much more. Being at SOAS means you're also part of the University of London so you can go to all other university society events too like UCL, Kings, LSE. SOAS also has a Careers Service which help you navigate your steps after university. They offer workshops on tailoring your CV, 1-1 careers support, networking events and offer a range of graduate and internship opportunities. The teaching faculty are also experts in their field so they bring their research and insights into your course content and bring in contemporary events from the news to analyse. They are also extremely supportive and have office hours you can go to for any questions or help within your course. Hope this helps and if you have any questions related to IR I'd be happy to answer them!
Original post by chia1303
-social life
-graduate prosepcts
-teaching and acadmics
-overall vibes
-student satisfaction

hey i was wondering if you'd decided which uni u want to firm bc i'm having the same problem as u rn (i'm doing IR too). idk which uni to go for 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending