The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Greenhead, heckmondwike or Huddersfield new college?

which college is best, for support, stress, food, people, teachers, fasilaties. any information is useful.
Original post by Anonymous
which college is best, for support, stress, food, people, teachers, fasilaties. any information is useful.

In terms of lower school, Hecky grammar is pretty solid, but I have heard others suggest that it's mainly because they choose smarter students using the test, and so they tend to get better GCSE results.

I went to Greenhead for 6th form, but most of it was during lockdown. The 6th form at Greenhead is very big and (at least for chem bio and maths) the departments are well organised - each subject is split into topics and units, and each unit has a content booklet, question booklet, and exam practice booklet (they call them packs). I have friends who went to HGS 6th form and I heard it was pretty bad - full timetables, overpriced food, lack of space in the Jo Cox centre, bad covid planning etc. IDK about Hudds new college though, but theres a high chance you'd be better off going to greenhead or hecky instead if you can.

Greenhead food is nice - its a short walk to hudds town centre where you have kfc, sainsburys, greggs, costa, mcdonalds etc, hecky is a bit dead so not much choice.

Greenhead is much bigger - 1000 students per year, so the support per student is lower in quality, but the teachers are all nice and friendly and you can just go and speak to them if you need help or anything. Facilities: the science labs at Hecky are nicer than the ones at Greenhead (only marginally though), but I would be very surprised if hecky had anywhere near the amount of extra curriculars as greenhead.

IMO just go greenhead :biggrin: , most of A levels is based on your ability and not the school reputation.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
In terms of lower school, Hecky grammar is pretty solid, but I have heard others suggest that it's mainly because they choose smarter students using the test, and so they tend to get better GCSE results.

I went to Greenhead for 6th form, but most of it was during lockdown. The 6th form at Greenhead is very big and (at least for chem bio and maths) the departments are well organised - each subject is split into topics and units, and each unit has a content booklet, question booklet, and exam practice booklet (they call them packs). I have friends who went to HGS 6th form and I heard it was pretty bad - full timetables, overpriced food, lack of space in the Jo Cox centre, bad covid planning etc. IDK about Hudds new college though, but theres a high chance you'd be better off going to greenhead or hecky instead if you can.

Greenhead food is nice - its a short walk to hudds town centre where you have kfc, sainsburys, greggs, costa, mcdonalds etc, hecky is a bit dead so not much choice.

Greenhead is much bigger - 1000 students per year, so the support per student is lower in quality, but the teachers are all nice and friendly and you can just go and speak to them if you need help or anything. Facilities: the science labs at Hecky are nicer than the ones at Greenhead (only marginally though), but I would be very surprised if hecky had anywhere near the amount of extra curriculars as greenhead.

IMO just go greenhead :biggrin: , most of A levels is based on your ability and not the school reputation.

I'm at GHC rn and i disagree with this ngl. I feel like sixth forms give WAY more support than colleges in general and many do agree. Other people I've talked to regret going ghc and icl I do too. You're meant to be an 'adult' there and the help is VERY limited you're literally expected to do everything urself and the teachers get so rude if you ask for help. the whole of yr 12 I had a supply for biology, my other subject was always cancelled bc my teacher had covid and my other subject is a mess the teacher cant control the 'people' in my class and its literally a playground atp. Learning at ghc for me was ACC so bad and if I could id go back to my high school sixth form but I'm already 1 year in ffs. the ghc wedges do live up to their name and the women working there are really sweet and nice!!! the town is defo better than hecky but who doesn't love hecky dixys??!!
I'm at GHC rn and i disagree with this ngl. I feel like sixth forms give WAY more support than colleges in general and many do agree. Other people I've talked to regret going ghc and icl I do too. You're meant to be an 'adult' there and the help is VERY limited you're literally expected to do everything urself and the teachers get so rude if you ask for help. the whole of yr 12 I had a supply for biology, my other subject was always cancelled bc my teacher had covid and my other subject is a mess the teacher cant control the 'people' in my class and its literally a playground atp. Learning at ghc for me was ACC so bad and if I could id go back to my high school sixth form but I'm already 1 year in ffs. the ghc wedges do live up to their name and the women working there are really sweet and nice!!! the town is defo better than hecky but who doesn't love hecky dixys??!!

wow, I've only heard good about ghc and never bad.
From what I've heard only well behaved students were accepted into Greenhead from my school so I'm surprised it's a tip. I was thinking of enrolling in a few days to ghc but now I'm having second thoughts as I think I will need a lot of support, especially because I'm not good at maths and I have mostly maths based subjects. on the website I saw they run lots of study sessions for support but I'm guessing this is not true..?
wow, I've only heard good about ghc and never bad.
From what I've heard only well behaved students were accepted into Greenhead from my school so I'm surprised it's a tip. I was thinking of enrolling in a few days to ghc but now I'm having second thoughts as I think I will need a lot of support, especially because I'm not good at maths and I have mostly maths based subjects. on the website I saw they run lots of study sessions for support but I'm guessing this is not true..?

at the end of the day its up to you ngl. I'm always happy to help you if you ever need help at ghc lmao! being an a1 is pretty hard ghc is Huge.

they do have study sessions. I've attended some but you literally just sit in a room with people and its a bit awkward asking for help ngl loooool but I had a supply do mine and she just waffled about her own personal life so I stopped going.

are you local to ghc? i go on the train and it takes the absolute **** there's never a seat in the morning man and I'm always squashed up next to some old man
at the end of the day its up to you ngl. I'm always happy to help you if you ever need help at ghc lmao! being an a1 is pretty hard ghc is Huge.

they do have study sessions. I've attended some but you literally just sit in a room with people and its a bit awkward asking for help ngl loooool but I had a supply do mine and she just waffled about her own personal life so I stopped going.

are you local to ghc? i go on the train and it takes the absolute **** there's never a seat in the morning man and I'm always squashed up next to some old man

haha, I think I'm going to be taking a bus, and no I'm not local to ghc. I live kinda far.

I wanted to go to ghc because of its prestigious reputation in a way and I was one of the few lucky ones to get into the school. I'm just scared I'm not as clever as the rest of my class as I picked science options mostly which contain a lot of content and maths....and maths is really not my thing but I don't know what else to pick.
I also heard ghc students can be a bit...snobby because of how clever they are...is this true? are people there extremely clever?

also I read on their website that the school has 12 biology teachers or something so how come you had a supply instead of an actual teacher? also what options did you pick if you don't mind me asking?
haha, I think I'm going to be taking a bus, and no I'm not local to ghc. I live kinda far.

I wanted to go to ghc because of its prestigious reputation in a way and I was one of the few lucky ones to get into the school. I'm just scared I'm not as clever as the rest of my class as I picked science options mostly which contain a lot of content and maths....and maths is really not my thing but I don't know what else to pick.
I also heard ghc students can be a bit...snobby because of how clever they are...is this true? are people there extremely clever?

also I read on their website that the school has 12 biology teachers or something so how come you had a supply instead of an actual teacher? also what options did you pick if you don't mind me asking?

i have a feeling ur local to me looooool

you can always swap but make sure you do it less than a week in bc other subjects get taken up FAST. i do bio and a lot of my mates wanted to do it but it was all full. Ngl there's some 'clever' people, but icl most are your normal ones that you find in any college. Many people in my class are getting U's and E's and D's so don't worry !!

she went for an operation and came back later than expected lmao. bio psych and chem
i have a feeling ur local to me looooool

you can always swap but make sure you do it less than a week in bc other subjects get taken up FAST. i do bio and a lot of my mates wanted to do it but it was all full. Ngl there's some 'clever' people, but icl most are your normal ones that you find in any college. Many people in my class are getting U's and E's and D's so don't worry !!

she went for an operation and came back later than expected lmao. bio psych and chem

I also feel as though we may be local lol. And OMG those are my exact options! please tell me what they're like? especially chemistry, I'm dreading it. is there lots of maths in all these subjects, be honest. I got a grade 6 in maths and I'm quite bad at it, my mind goes blank. I picked those options cause idk what else to do. tbh I'm mostly an English person but I feel like sciencey jobs pay well. I don't mind science tho, it's just the maths element that catches me out.
and it's releiving that not everyone is clever so thank you so much! but I heard a rumour that if you fail multiple tests, ghc kicks you out, is this true?
I also feel as though we may be local lol. And OMG those are my exact options! please tell me what they're like? especially chemistry, I'm dreading it. is there lots of maths in all these subjects, be honest. I got a grade 6 in maths and I'm quite bad at it, my mind goes blank. I picked those options cause idk what else to do. tbh I'm mostly an English person but I feel like sciencey jobs pay well. I don't mind science tho, it's just the maths element that catches me out.
and it's releiving that not everyone is clever so thank you so much! but I heard a rumour that if you fail multiple tests, ghc kicks you out, is this true?

bro im out hear revealing my whole life what if ghc catches me looool. we probably are ngl.

Ngl I reccomed enjoying yr 12 while you can. i spent yr 12 chilling missing lessons oops and just having the time of my life and I wouldn't change anything about it . bio is really content heavy same with psych and so is chem. try and make friends with the people you sit near otherwise you'll end up being alone. the chances of being with ur mates is literally 0. trust me.

no worries! i just wish someone told me it was like this :'(

nah that bs , they don't even care ngl.
bro im out hear revealing my whole life what if ghc catches me looool. we probably are ngl.

Ngl I reccomed enjoying yr 12 while you can. i spent yr 12 chilling missing lessons oops and just having the time of my life and I wouldn't change anything about it . bio is really content heavy same with psych and so is chem. try and make friends with the people you sit near otherwise you'll end up being alone. the chances of being with ur mates is literally 0. trust me.

no worries! i just wish someone told me it was like this :'(

nah that bs , they don't even care ngl.

FR, we're sharing too much info lool.
I'm quite antisocial so I probably won't make friends. everyone seemed to make friends on transition day but I never....oops.
Damn, I was expecting to be with my friends in classes but thanks for the heads up!
Honestly I'm so grateful to have had the chance to talk to you so tysm!

btw is there a lot of maths in your subjects? like...A LOT?
Also, if you don't like ghc, why don't you leave?

I've had three daughters go through Greenhead College and I can't recommend it highly enough. All three had fantastic teaching and the enrichment activities are great.

I agree with another poster in that you are expected to work hard and are treated more like an adult, but it's good preparation for uni. If you're struggling, you do get extra help though.

Two of my daughters did sciences and my third did languages and humanities. Teaching in the sciences is very methodical and the resources you're given are outstanding.
FR, we're sharing too much info lool.
I'm quite antisocial so I probably won't make friends. everyone seemed to make friends on transition day but I never....oops.
Damn, I was expecting to be with my friends in classes but thanks for the heads up!
Honestly I'm so grateful to have had the chance to talk to you so tysm!

btw is there a lot of maths in your subjects? like...A LOT?
Also, if you don't like ghc, why don't you leave?

dw im literally known as the anti- social one everywhere loool and I've made a couple of mates in each class. no worries! there's quite a bit even in psych there's some like standard deviation etc.

I'm a year in, my parents told me to go local and I didn't listen, id embarrass myself if I left, where would I go?
dw im literally known as the anti- social one everywhere loool and I've made a couple of mates in each class. no worries! there's quite a bit even in psych there's some like standard deviation etc.

I'm a year in, my parents told me to go local and I didn't listen, id embarrass myself if I left, where would I go?

I mean, I'm sure hecky would take you in? I don't think it would be embarrassing, isn't your happiness what comes first. Though I do understand where you're coming from. It would be funny if we ever pass each other in ghc and never even realise haha.

Ah, I'm scared for the maths aspect, it will definitely bring most of my grades down, but I'll try my best!

Thank you for your advice!! All the best in year 12! Hope things get better.
I mean, I'm sure hecky would take you in? I don't think it would be embarrassing, isn't your happiness what comes first. Though I do understand where you're coming from. It would be funny if we ever pass each other in ghc and never even realise haha.

Ah, I'm scared for the maths aspect, it will definitely bring most of my grades down, but I'll try my best!

Thank you for your advice!! All the best in year 12! Hope things get better.

nope they wont ive already checked trust me lol. we most likely will loool ghc is a small place . if you ever get lost id be happy to help, even though ngl I was planning on sending a1s the wrong way loooool.

you'll be fine yr 12 is all about having fun and chilling!!

no worries good luck
nope they wont ive already checked trust me lol. we most likely will loool ghc is a small place . if you ever get lost id be happy to help, even though ngl I was planning on sending a1s the wrong way loooool.

no worries good luck

no worries good luck

hello, I know this is random..but I can't find anyone else to ask..what time does a day at Greenhead finish..they never told us what time we will be leaving school so none of my classmates know...
It's different for everyone, but last lesson finishes at 3.55. Your induction will probably finish at about 12 or 1 from what I remember.
hello, I know this is random..but I can't find anyone else to ask..what time does a day at Greenhead finish..they never told us what time we will be leaving school so none of my classmates know...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending