The Student Room Group

Ophthalmic dispensing to optometry

Hi,

I am currently studying the DO course. I've achieved around 80% average year 1 and 75% average 2nd year. Nearly all except 1 module i got 65% above in. Due to covid assessments and teaching have been affected.

I did not do well at A level so moved onto this course but i was wanting to do optom after. i know you need a 2:1 to do the degree after or a conversion course after you have worked 2 years as A DO.

But as i am doing great in this course i was wondering if its possible to just transfer to optom year 1 and save myself a year at uni.

has anyone done this before or know what unis may let me do this

thankss
Hi you are better to apply now directly to first year Optom ASAP, as you are a third year DO student. Don’t bother doing your PQE’s and FQE’s as qualified DO’s aren’t treated any differently unless you want to do the conversion course with Bradford which btw is 20k, that’s right. £20,000.00 and when you apply post two year qualification they sometimes will tell you to do the CLO course with ABDO College if they have a high amount of applicants that year. My honest opinion is GO FOR OPTOM ASAP and with a high 2:1 / First you’ll definitely get in through the normal route.
Also forgot to mention EVERY uni that offers Optom will take you on given your grades in DO but the best one to apply to for an easy entry are the new uni’s that have started to offer Optom like Bristol UWE or Plymouth. If you don’t mind sharing, which uni are you studying DO? Is it ARU?
Reply 3
Original post by Nojudgment
Hi you are better to apply now directly to first year Optom ASAP, as you are a third year DO student. Don’t bother doing your PQE’s and FQE’s as qualified DO’s aren’t treated any differently unless you want to do the conversion course with Bradford which btw is 20k, that’s right. £20,000.00 and when you apply post two year qualification they sometimes will tell you to do the CLO course with ABDO College if they have a high amount of applicants that year. My honest opinion is GO FOR OPTOM ASAP and with a high 2:1 / First you’ll definitely get in through the normal route.

Also forgot to mention EVERY uni that offers Optom will take you on given your grades in DO but the best one to apply to for an easy entry are the new uni’s that have started to offer Optom like Bristol UWE or Plymouth. If you don’t mind sharing, which uni are you studying DO? Is it ARU?

Im in second year at the moment i wanted to move from this to optom in September to year 1. Do you think its worth it. And at the moment at Bradford but i dont mind going to any uni i heard Huddersfield is new as well to optometry.

And yes id rather do the optometry bsc thn conversion because itll take me less time and i havnt done pqes and stuff yet plus because of covid there delays n limits to how many can do them so id probably leave them till end of 3rd year so woulsnt do them
Reply 4
Hi, I am now in a similar position now that you were in at the time you posted this I was wondering what you ended up doing and if you managed to get into optom with that route I am about to go to Bradford to do the 3 year DO course but im wondering if its possible for me to save a year when I eventually do optometry.
Reply 5

Original post by MJ115
Hi, I am now in a similar position now that you were in at the time you posted this I was wondering what you ended up doing and if you managed to get into optom with that route I am about to go to Bradford to do the 3 year DO course but im wondering if its possible for me to save a year when I eventually do optometry.

Hi sorry for the late reply.
I managed to get a first and get into optometry. I did ask during 2nd year to transfer but they will ask for A levels as usual. If you do the 3 years
And get 65% overall or higher in the DO degree you can get into optometry. I know a few people who did an access or foundation year in Huddersfield and got onto optom that way.

However if you go down the route I have student finance will not fund anything and you will have to pay for the degree and Any additional cost
Original post by HB135
I managed to get a first and get into optometry. I did ask during 2nd year to transfer but they will ask for A levels as usual. If you do the 3 years
And get 65% overall or higher in the DO degree you can get into optometry. I know a few people who did an access or foundation year in Huddersfield and got onto optom that way.

However if you go down the route I have student finance will not fund anything and you will have to pay for the degree and Any additional cost

Congratulations for getting into optom!! If you don’t mind sharing how and where did you apply for it and which one did you get into?
’m currently studying year 1 ophthalmic dispensing, I don’t have good a levels but want to go to optom. Any routes available after I do three year course?
Original post by HB135

What do you mean student finance won’t fund you? They won’t fund you for the foundation year? Or for the the course you’re applying to?

So for example if I do the Science Extended Diploma at Huddersfield and transfer to The University Of Manchester for Optometry/Pharmacy, SFE won’t fund my degree for Manchester?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending