The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

3 Tips on Writing a Personal Statement

Hi! My name is Estelle and I’m a 3rd-year Psychology student studying at the University of Huddersfield. Since we’re steadily approaching the deadline for UCAS applications in January, I thought it’d be a good idea to post some helpful tips and advice on how to structure your personal statement when applying to university!

1. Mention your future plans.
Talk about your career aspirations are, if you have them. What are you long term goals for the future? Try your best to express this uniquely and show your individuality. If you don’t have any plans for a career, talk about what you’re hoping to gain from your university degree and your time studying.

2. Complete your first draft.
Don’t stress too much about creating a perfect personal statement the first time around. If you start early, you’ll have plenty of time to spend reading through, correcting information and redrafting your work until you’re happy with it. Don’t worry too much about exceeding the word limit, the important thing at this point is just making sure your personal statement says “this is me”. It’s much easier to cut down content compared to trying to find things to fill up blank pages.

3. Proofread and edit.
Taking the time to proofread is so so vital to your application! Making sure you don’t submit your statement with spelling or grammatical mistakes can make such a difference! Show your friends and family. Have as many different eyes read through your work as possible. The more people you show, the more feedback you’ll get and this can make your final draft that much better. Differentiate between what feedback is good and which you can pass on, then do a final polish and read through and give yourself a pat on the back! If you have any tips you’d like to share, feel free to respond!

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending