The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

University choice

I am from London and one of my options for uni would be Huddersfield- i am just wondering how the area is as a whole- im just worried about settling in
Original post by Anonymous
I am from London and one of my options for uni would be Huddersfield- i am just wondering how the area is as a whole- im just worried about settling in

Anon,

I am originally from London : )

What are you hoping to study?

Huddersfield is a small town, so if you want to come to a quiet area with countryside nearby, then it is suitable.

I haven't met many Londoners nor Southerners in Huddersfield. Most students commute or move to the area from nearby cities and towns and have family in the area.

There are a range of ages at the university. Students who come from A' levels and students who have studied before, or after several years have decided to retrain, so you may find a mixture of ages on your course. The average age of a student at Huddersfield is 27.

Most people are quite happy to chat though I do think people tend to stay with people who are similar to them. Huddersfield is a town so you can't compare it to London ( a capital city) when it comes to diversity, but you can find diverse food in the town centre e.g. a Turkish cafe, a Syrian coffee shop etc...

The university has a range of students from different backgrounds, though there is a large British Asian and White British community. There are also a lot of international students from China and Nigeria. There is also a Holocaust Exhibition and Learning Centre situated on campus and a Jewish society at the university, as well as other global/religious societies.

It is close to Leeds ( 20 minutes with the fast train) and it is also about an hour away from Manchester and York. So you can enjoy life in the city, but the trains are not the most reliable : ( so if you drive, it might be worthwhile bringing your car up.

It would be an adjustment from London, but if you are looking for a slower pace of life, which is less expensive, where you can focus on your studies but with the option of being close to some big cities, then I think Huddersfield fits the bill!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending