The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

University of Strathclyde 2023 Applicants Thread

Hi everyone! Here is our thread for 2023 applicants I look forward to chatting with you all over the next few months and helping you with any information you need about studying with us at the University of Strathclyde!

My name is Caitlin and I work within our Recruitment and International Office at the university. It's my job to give you as much info as I can to make sure you're making the right decision for you when you're considering your university choices. Feel free to ask me anything about our courses, entry requirements, scholarships and the uni/Glasgow in general! Happy to help We also have our brilliant University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador that can help with any questions you have about student life. Just tag or PM us if you'd like to chat!

Here's a few questions below to help you introduce yourselves too:

What course are you applying for? Where are you applying from?

Where else are you applying?

How are you feeling about starting uni?

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Scroll to see replies

Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi everyone! Here is our thread for 2023 applicants I look forward to chatting with you all over the next few months and helping you with any information you need about studying with us at the University of Strathclyde!

My name is Caitlin and I work within our Recruitment and International Office at the university. It's my job to give you as much info as I can to make sure you're making the right decision for you when you're considering your university choices. Feel free to ask me anything about our courses, entry requirements, scholarships and the uni/Glasgow in general! Happy to help We also have our brilliant University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador that can help with any questions you have about student life. Just tag or PM us if you'd like to chat!

- Caitlin

can you apply for more than one course in the same department?
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by Anonymous
can you apply for more than one course in the same department?

Hello! Which course is it you're interested in? :smile: The answer is it depends! Some of our courses fall under a shared flexible programme (e.g. our BA Humanities and Social Sciences subjects and our BA Business in particular) so if you apply to more than one of those it may be a wasted choice on your UCAS form, as the faculty will only make one offer. Most courses will be quite flexible in how you can change between subjects once you start, so you should apply to one knowing that you'll be able to pick up and change between other subjects once you start. If you're interested in something like Engineering, however, if you have two different areas of interest (e.g. Biomedical and Mechanical) then you could apply to both of those programmes and try to write a strong personal statement which would apply for both.

Let me know what your area of interest is and I can confirm :biggrin:

- Caitlin :h:
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am interested in a few different engineering courses and haven't been 100% sure on which one to go for.
Hi

I want to apply for a humanities subject at Strathclyde, but I am short of the 1st sitting standard entry requirements. I achieved AAABC while the standard entry requirements are AAAA.

I am taking three advanced highers in S6. In two of the advanced highers I achieved an A at higher, and in the other I achieved a B.

Now, the second sitting requirements for the course is AAAAB. Does this mean I simply need to achieve an A and a B at advanced higher, or does Strathclyde not double count highers and advanced highers?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JohnMatt11
Hi

I want to apply for a humanities subject at Strathclyde, but I am short of the 1st sitting standard entry requirements. I achieved AAABC while the standard entry requirements are AAAA.

I am taking three advanced highers in S6. In two of the advanced highers I achieved an A at higher, and in the other I achieved a B.

Now, the second sitting requirements for the course is AAAAB. Does this mean I simply need to achieve an A and a B at advanced higher, or does Strathclyde not double count highers and advanced highers?

Thanks in advance.

@University of Strathclyde @University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi

Thanks in advance.

Hey @JohnMatt11 :smile: Thanks for your query! Normally if you don't achieve the first sitting entry requirements after S5 if we are making a conditional offer then we'd look for you to achieve the second sitting requirements. We do double count Advanced highers (e.g. if you receive an A at Higher English and an A at Advanced Higher English we see this as 2 As). So if you already have AAABC and the second sitting requirements are AAAAB then we'd potentially be asking for another A from any of your subjects.

Our BA Humanities programme is very competitive so it's worth bearing this in mind while you are applying. Having the grades or almost meeting the requirements does not guarantee an offer, so it's important to be aware of this and to also make sure your personal statement and teachers reference are as strong as they can be. We receive more applications for this programme than there are spaces available so we cannot guarantee an offer.

For info, we also can consider students from a Widening Access background. For more information on this and to see if you are eligible you can see here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/wideningaccess/. If you meet this criteria then you would be eligible for an offer under our minimum entry requirements.

Best of luck with your application, drop me a message if I can help with anything else!

Hey @JohnMatt11 :smile: Thanks for your query! Normally if you don't achieve the first sitting entry requirements after S5 if we are making a conditional offer then we'd look for you to achieve the second sitting requirements. We do double count Advanced highers (e.g. if you receive an A at Higher English and an A at Advanced Higher English we see this as 2 As). So if you already have AAABC and the second sitting requirements are AAAAB then we'd potentially be asking for another A from any of your subjects.

Our BA Humanities programme is very competitive so it's worth bearing this in mind while you are applying. Having the grades or almost meeting the requirements does not guarantee an offer, so it's important to be aware of this and to also make sure your personal statement and teachers reference are as strong as they can be. We receive more applications for this programme than there are spaces available so we cannot guarantee an offer.

For info, we also can consider students from a Widening Access background. For more information on this and to see if you are eligible you can see here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/wideningaccess/. If you meet this criteria then you would be eligible for an offer under our minimum entry requirements.

Best of luck with your application, drop me a message if I can help with anything else!

Thanks Caitlin - I just have one more question. If I applied to Politics and International Relations for example, can my personal statement and references focus solely on Politics or would I need to discuss both?
Thanks Caitlin - I just have one more question. If I applied to Politics and International Relations for example, can my personal statement and references focus solely on Politics or would I need to discuss both?

Hey @JohnMatt11 :biggrin: I'd say you don't need to discuss both in equal measure, and that it would be ok for the majority of the Personal Statement to be centred around Politics if that's where your core interests are; however it'd be good to give a bit of a 'nod' to international relations as a subject area. Consider how the two areas cross over, and if you have any specific areas of interest within Politics you can mention briefly the importance of this on an international level. The two are naturally interlinked so you'll likely find as you're writing your PS that there are some easy ways to make it flow :smile: Let me know if you've any other qs!

Original post by laurasheppard05
When might offers possibly come through if you’ve already applied?

Hello @laurasheppard05 :smile: This is a great question but unfortunately there's not one fixed answer I can give you! Our departments can make offers throughout the year, and some may begin to make some offers before the January deadline. Others, however, will wait until after the deadline and make offers once all applications are in. My main piece of advice is not to worry about when you'll receive an offer. I know it can be daunting and a pressured time of year while you wait, but until you hear otherwise you are still being considered for the course. If you start to hear others being made offers then don't let this panic you, as again, until you hear otherwise you are still being considered.

Universities have until mid-May to make all of their decisions on applications, however I'd say most of our academic selectors will be aiming to have decisions out by March/start of April.

Hope this helps, good luck! :biggrin:

Reply 10
hello,

I applied for MSc Advanced computer science for Jan'23 intake. I am from India. I am currently waiting for an offer letter from the university.

How long till I get a response from the university? Thanks in advance.

International Business with Languages, Glasgow
Glasgow Uni & Cali

(I got AAAAB in S5 and I’m taking a further 4 highers!)

- Caitlin

Computer Science - Scotland Aberdeen

Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh (offer received) and St Andrews

Very Excited
Hi Caitlin,

I have an enquiry about the pharmacy course. I noticed that recently the admissions requirements changed and now applicants “may have to complete situational judgement tests and/or be interviewed”. I was wondering if you could possibly explain what is meant by “and/or”, would some applicants have the option to either sit a situational judgment test or go through an interview? And would you mind giving a little overview of what to expect?

I was also wondering if the university sends out a confirmation email that they’ve received your application, as I haven’t been sent mine yet and I’m a bit worried that the university might of not received my application.

Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
International Business with Languages, Glasgow
Glasgow Uni & Cali(I got AAAAB in S5 and I’m taking a further 4 highers!)

Hey Anon! Exciting choice :smile: I'm a staff member working at the University but I actually graduated from our MIBML programme in 2018! I studied International Business with Marketing and French and really loved it.

Good luck with your application! :dance:

Original post by hetMakadia
Computer Science - Scotland Aberdeen

Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh (offer received) and St Andrews

Very Excited

Hey @hetMakadia :biggrin: Great choices! Congratulations on already receiving an offer from Edinburgh, well done :clap2:
Good luck with the rest of your applications!
Original post by d1anasaur
Hi Caitlin,

I have an enquiry about the pharmacy course. I noticed that recently the admissions requirements changed and now applicants “may have to complete situational judgement tests and/or be interviewed”. I was wondering if you could possibly explain what is meant by “and/or”, would some applicants have the option to either sit a situational judgment test or go through an interview? And would you mind giving a little overview of what to expect?

I was also wondering if the university sends out a confirmation email that they’ve received your application, as I haven’t been sent mine yet and I’m a bit worried that the university might of not received my application.

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Hello @d1anasaur :biggrin:
Great question. This is the first year we've interviewed for applicants coming in to the MPharm programme and interviews are likely to take place in February/March time. It is likely to be an interview style, asking questions around your suitability for the course and your understanding of the profession. If you are invited for an interview/situational judgement test then you'll receive more information about this prior to interview so the department can let you know what to expect.

If you'd like further info regarding the interview process just now you can get in touch with the Pharmacy department at [email protected] - they'll be able to advise in more detail :smile:

With regards to checking we've received your application, would you like to drop me a PM with your UCAS ID and I can confirm this for you? We don't always send out confirmation emails straight away to applicants but I'm happy to check that for you if it helps :h: I'm sure that if everything looks ok on your UCAS Hub then everything will be ok on our end too, but feel free to message me and I'll check that if it'd reassure you!
Original post by ssc427
hello,

I applied for MSc Advanced computer science for Jan'23 intake. I am from India. I am currently waiting for an offer letter from the university.

How long till I get a response from the university? Thanks in advance.

Hello @ssc427 :redface: Pleased to hear you're interested in studying with us next year! When did you submit your application? Our departments will be working their way through applications on a rolling basis at the moment so I'd expect you'll hear soon. Normally we'd advise of an approximate response time of 2 weeks for Postgraduate programmes, but it can be sooner than this.

Reply 18
Hello @ssc427 :redface: Pleased to hear you're interested in studying with us next year! When did you submit your application? Our departments will be working their way through applications on a rolling basis at the moment so I'd expect you'll hear soon. Normally we'd advise of an approximate response time of 2 weeks for Postgraduate programmes, but it can be sooner than this.

Hello Caitlin,
thanks for the reply.

It's been more than 2 weeks since I applied. Should I contact the university or something. Please give some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Hey @hetMakadia :biggrin: Great choices! Congratulations on already receiving an offer from Edinburgh, well done :clap2:
Good luck with the rest of your applications!

Thanks!
How long roughly does Strathclyde take to give cs offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending