The Student Room Group

UCAS Midwifery 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hol_b2
Hi everyone! Hoping someone might be able to help me. I’ve applied for midwifery at Bournemouth Uni for sept 2023 start.

I have revived this email message from them

We have carefully considered your application and we regret to inform you that you have not been selected for interview at this time. This course receives a large number of applications for a small number of places, so only applicants that meet all our shortlisting criteria are invited to interview at this stage.

However, we recognise the strength of your application and have therefore placed your application on our waiting list. We will contact you later in the year if a place becomes available, normally by the end of May.“

Anyone have experience with this, how likely is it that I will get a chance to get invited for interview? Is it only if others pull out or just until the first lot of interviews are done? It’s so frustrating, I know I just need to be patient and wait and see but if anyone has had similar or knows any extra info I would love to hear from you ☺️!

Holly xx

The waiting list is like you said if anybody pull's out of the course. They will go down the list until they fill the amount of places up.
Depending on where about you are on the list you may get a opportunity still.

Yes every university in the UK has a limited amount of places for midwifing which makes it more competitive than other course's.

Keep faith in yourself and hopefully you will be invited to a interview if others pull out.

A NHS registered midwife
Original post by Tracey_W
Unfortunately all anybody else can suggest is examples of what they might have put into there personal statement as it's up the individual candidate to write there own information.

I think that Nicky1310 is absolutely right about doing her personal statement etc early as it gives you time to research about other things you might need for a interview.
I was exactly the same as her when I did my adult nursing applications and get rejected still every year for about 5 years on the trot until I eventually put down midwifing and got offered that over adult nursing which actually saved me going back to university to do the shortened top-up degree course.

I would say be yourself and do all your research and revision for any potential interview okay.

hiya i have my midwifery interview next week and I'm currently preparing, do you have any tips?
Reply 22
The waiting list is like you said if anybody pull's out of the course. They will go down the list until they fill the amount of places up.
Depending on where about you are on the list you may get a opportunity still.

Yes every university in the UK has a limited amount of places for midwifing which makes it more competitive than other course's.

Keep faith in yourself and hopefully you will be invited to a interview if others pull out.

A NHS registered midwife

Thank you! I really appreciate your reply and words of encouragement ☺️👍!
I shall let you know if I hear back from them!
Fingers crossed!!!! X
Original post by Chantal_
hiya i have my midwifery interview next week and I'm currently preparing, do you have any tips?

Try not to be nervous when you do your interview but if you are the interviewers will hopefully make you feel comfortable throughout it.
If you are completely nervous throughout your interview then you may not get a offer. ( But you never know what can happen)
You'll need to put enough information over to the interviewers to have a good opportunity of being offered a place on the course.
Do plenty of revision for it and if you received anything from the university about what you are to prepare for the interview then follow this.

PM if you have any questions you want help with ok.

Good luck with your interview next week.
Original post by hol_b2
Thank you! I really appreciate your reply and words of encouragement ☺️👍!
I shall let you know if I hear back from them!
Fingers crossed!!!! X

You are welcome ☺️
N worries about trying to assist you.
You'll need to wait until you know what is happening but there's always the opportunity that you may be asked to do an alternative course like adult nursing!!!

Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully you will get some good news.😀👍
Hi!

ive also applyed to go to Oxford Brookes! As well as Liverpoole john moores, middlesex, salford and northumbria a group chats a good idea :smile:
Original post by alice20042022
Hi!

ive also applyed to go to Oxford Brookes! As well as Liverpoole john moores, middlesex, salford and northumbria a group chats a good idea :smile:

Hi @Alice20042004,

Fab to hear you've applied to us - good luck with your applications and decision making :smile::smile:

All the best,

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
Try not to be nervous when you do your interview but if you are the interviewers will hopefully make you feel comfortable throughout it.
If you are completely nervous throughout your interview then you may not get a offer. ( But you never know what can happen)
You'll need to put enough information over to the interviewers to have a good opportunity of being offered a place on the course.
Do plenty of revision for it and if you received anything from the university about what you are to prepare for the interview then follow this.

PM if you have any questions you want help with ok.

Good luck with your interview next week.

My interview is remote so ill be answering pre-recorded questions while being timed so hopefully that will help with nerves, thank you for the tips!
Original post by University of Salford
Hi @Alice20042004,

Fab to hear you've applied to us - good luck with your applications and decision making :smile::smile:

All the best,

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep

Thankyou!!!😊😊
Hey guys, I'm trying to start a group for midwifery applicants as I am struggling to find any.

https://chat.whatsapp.com/Dfb8AaTcjSW5nhRlCP53xA

Feel free to join and send the link to others you know, too.
My interview is remote so ill be answering pre-recorded questions while being timed so hopefully that will help with nerves, thank you for the tips!

Hi Chantel xx
Thanks for your reply 😃

So you having a remote online interview which hopefully will help you keep your nerves at bay ☺️.

Just make sure you are 100% satisfied with your answers that you giving before moving onto the next question etc but obviously within the time limit you are allocated.

There's no worries about trying to give you some ideas on what to do okay 🙂🙂🙂

Keep me posted and if you have any thing you want asking about you are welcome to PM anytime okay.

Best of luck with your interview ☺️☺️
Original post by alice20042022
Hi!

Hello, alice20042022
Great to hear you have applied to study with us. My name is Rebecca I am a student ambassador for Middlesex University.

One thing I found useful about studying at Middlesex was the equal focus on theory and practical skills that helped me develop my skills to go into my chosen career.

If you have any questions about studying at Middlesex or student life feel free to message me :smile:
Hi Chantel xx
Thanks for your reply 😃

So you having a remote online interview which hopefully will help you keep your nerves at bay ☺️.

Just make sure you are 100% satisfied with your answers that you giving before moving onto the next question etc but obviously within the time limit you are allocated.

There's no worries about trying to give you some ideas on what to do okay 🙂🙂🙂

Keep me posted and if you have any thing you want asking about you are welcome to PM anytime okay.

Best of luck with your interview ☺️☺️

hiya just to update i didn't think the interview went that well initially but I ended up receiving a conditional offer! thank you for the tips :smile:
hiya just to update i didn't think the interview went that well initially but I ended up receiving a conditional offer! thank you for the tips :smile:

Hi Chantal 😚

Thanks for your update on how you got on with your interview ☺️
Don't worry about how you think it went because as long as you have put enough information over in the interview you'll be fine okay.
But obviously you must have done something right if you have been given a conditional offer for it.... Is it one of your popular university you want to go to for midwifery.

It's not a problem giving you some advice on what you should do at the interview.😀

I'm here if you want to ask me anything okay as you can always PM message okay, and have you got any more interviews to do still....!!
Well done for getting a conditional offer xx
Hi Chantal 😚

Thanks for your update on how you got on with your interview ☺️
Don't worry about how you think it went because as long as you have put enough information over in the interview you'll be fine okay.
But obviously you must have done something right if you have been given a conditional offer for it.... Is it one of your popular university you want to go to for midwifery.

It's not a problem giving you some advice on what you should do at the interview.😀

I'm here if you want to ask me anything okay as you can always PM message okay, and have you got any more interviews to do still....!!
Well done for getting a conditional offer xx

it's not my top choice but it will most likely be my insurance choice as it gave me a low offer and I wouldn't mind going there, since then I've done two other interviews and I think I've got the hang of the type of questions they ask and the interview technique which is great :smile: Thank you!
it's not my top choice but it will most likely be my insurance choice as it gave me aow offer and I wouldn't mind going there, since then I've done two other interviews and I think I've got the hang of the type of questions they ask and the interview technique which is great :smile: Thank you!.

Hi

Although it was not your number one choice at least you have a backup just incase you may need it if you weren't given any other offers.

You'll find that each university may ask questions differently from others. But hopefully you are getting better at answering questions with each interview you do.

Just remember that it doesn't matter what university you go to as long as you are qualify as a midwife meeting at the end of the course. Each university are guided by what the NMC set's out for the course and the only difference is how every university will provide it..

There is no idea problems with trying to assist you with things 🙂🙂🙂🙂
Reply 36
Original post by VanillaTwilight1
hey guys, i’m a first year student midwife so did the application process not too long ago. just thought i’d jump on in case anyone had any questions!

Hey I was just wondering if you can give some advice for the personal statement and what they actually look for. I'm going to apply for 2024 :smile:
Original post by Nasiha0912
Hey I was just wondering if you can give some advice for the personal statement and what they actually look for. I'm going to apply for 2024 :smile:

Of course I can only speak for what I put in mine and I’m sure they look for lots of different types! I included a history of what led me to midwifery and any significant points. I focused on what midwifery meant to me and advocating. I linked this into my previous studies and experience eg I was a politics student so linked this! Talk about your skills and how these can be specifically linked to values and roles in midwifery. Add in some recent knowledge- maybe something in the news to show you’re keeping up to date- eg perhaps this motivates you or you find this part interesting. Make sure to focus on the woman as well when talking about midwifery! Also a lot of Universities have step by step guides online for what they’re looking for so check those out! I hope this helps :smile:
Hi

Although it was not your number one choice at least you have a backup just incase you may need it if you weren't given any other offers.

You'll find that each university may ask questions differently from others. But hopefully you are getting better at answering questions with each interview you do.

Just remember that it doesn't matter what university you go to as long as you are qualify as a midwife meeting at the end of the course. Each university are guided by what the NMC set's out for the course and the only difference is how every university will provide it..

There is no idea problems with trying to assist you with things 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Original post by Nasiha0912

Hi @Nasiha0912,

Great to hear you’re interested in applying for Midwifery!

From your personal statement, we are really looking to see your passion and interest in the subject area.

Any relevant work experience will always benefit a personal statement. While this experience doesn’t have to be limited to Midwifery, any care work would be helpful. We’d also like to see some evidence of transferable skills which are expected as part of the role of a midwife.

This work experience will make your personal statement stand out from the rest and is highly desirable.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks,
Charlotte - University of Salford Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending