The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

LSBU Clearing

I had applied to a course in Adult Nursing with foundation year at LSBU however I have been declined a place although I met the requirements is it possible for me to apply to another course at the university or will they decline me again as I really want to study at LSBU
Original post by Anonymous
I had applied to a course in Adult Nursing with foundation year at LSBU however I have been declined a place although I met the requirements is it possible for me to apply to another course at the university or will they decline me again as I really want to study at LSBU

Not everyone who meets the entry requirements will gain a place - even in Clearing. If they have 10 spaces available, and 15 people who meet the requirements apply through Clearing then 5 people are going to be left disappointed.

It's absolutely possible for you to apply to another course at LSBU.

Before you do, however, it might be worth giving their Clearing hotline a quick call and asking whether there's a particular reason you weren't offered a place on their Adult Nursing with a Foundation Year course. It they say, "We just had more applicants than spaces", then fine. However, they might say something like, "Our records show that you don't have GCSE Maths or English", or something which might have a more fundamental impact on many courses.
London
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your response I understand this so much better now. The main reason I was confused is due to the wording of the email I recieved which stated "Unfortunately we are unable to make you an offer to study at LSBU this year." I'm not sure whether this is an automated email. However, the email could be a general indication referring to the subject I had chosen or referring to any course at LSBU. If you have any further knowledge of this please let me know. I rang LSBU again and made a query as to whether I could apply for another course or what my options may be and I am waiting for a call back. Do you think this would be worthwhile?
Thank you so much for your response I understand this so much better now. The main reason I was confused is due to the wording of the email I recieved which stated "Unfortunately we are unable to make you an offer to study at LSBU this year." I'm not sure whether this is an automated email. However, the email could be a general indication referring to the subject I had chosen or referring to any course at LSBU. If you have any further knowledge of this please let me know. I rang LSBU again and made a query as to whether I could apply for another course or what my options may be and I am waiting for a call back. Do you think this would be worthwhile?

I suspect the text "Unfortunately we are unable to make you an offer to study at LSBU this year." is, as you suggest, as automated e-mail which applies to the particular course to which you applied and isn't saying, "We won't be able to make you an offer for any course at LSBU this year."

What course are you going to try for next?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
I suspect the text "Unfortunately we are unable to make you an offer to study at LSBU this year." is, as you suggest, as automated e-mail which applies to the particular course to which you applied and isn't saying, "We won't be able to make you an offer for any course at LSBU this year."

What course are you going to try for next?

I'm honestly so thankful that you have responded to me I truly feel that I don't have the support of family or friends so even for your small replies I am so grateful. I want to stay in the health and social care sector my initial main interest is midwifery however I was unsuccessful therefore went to adult nursing with foundation year as that can also lead to midwifery. Now, I'm thinking about a foundation health and social care course with LSBU and I'm not sure if that is available as it appears in the LSBU course page but not on UCAS please advise me. Thank you so much for your help!
I'm honestly so thankful that you have responded to me I truly feel that I don't have the support of family or friends so even for your small replies I am so grateful. I want to stay in the health and social care sector my initial main interest is midwifery however I was unsuccessful therefore went to adult nursing with foundation year as that can also lead to midwifery. Now, I'm thinking about a foundation health and social care course with LSBU and I'm not sure if that is available as it appears in the LSBU course page but not on UCAS please advise me. Thank you so much for your help!

There web site isn't terribly clear, is it?

The impression I get is that when you pick "Health and Social Care - Foundation Year" from their "Find your course" page within the Clearing section of their site, you're not selecting a specific course called "Health and Social Care". Instead I think they're using it as an umbrella term for that type of couse.

I say this as when you visit the page for that course, here, and click Apply, you get a list of courses, each with their own code, rather than a single "Health and Social Care" course and code:

LSBU - Health and Social Care - Foundation Year - Apply.PNG

It might be that it's a common foundation year amongst them all, but that you have to effectively pick the "path" you want to take to a particular undergraduate degree. This might be why we don't see a course called "Health and Social Care - Foundation Year" via UCAS.

If you've been turned down for both Midwifery and Adult Nursing (with a Foundation Year), even when you felt that you had met the entry requirements (at least for the latter), then I do think it's worth talking with them to establish what the issue might be.

You said earlier that you are waiting for a call back. So hopefully you can establish for which of their courses within the "Health and Social Care - Foundation Year" umbrella (if indeed that's what it is) you would have the best chance of success.

I would suggest that you take care not to apply to just any course in order to gain entry. You'll be studying it for four years, so it really needs to be something you'd enjoy. Good luck! :crossedf:
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
There web site isn't terribly clear, is it?

The impression I get is that when you pick "Health and Social Care - Foundation Year" from their "Find your course" page within the Clearing section of their site, you're not selecting a specific course called "Health and Social Care". Instead I think they're using it as an umbrella term for that type of couse.

I say this as when you visit the page for that course, here, and click Apply, you get a list of courses, each with their own code, rather than a single "Health and Social Care" course and code:

LSBU - Health and Social Care - Foundation Year - Apply.PNG

It might be that it's a common foundation year amongst them all, but that you have to effectively pick the "path" you want to take to a particular undergraduate degree. This might be why we don't see a course called "Health and Social Care - Foundation Year" via UCAS.

If you've been turned down for both Midwifery and Adult Nursing (with a Foundation Year), even when you felt that you had met the entry requirements (at least for the latter), then I do think it's worth talking with them to establish what the issue might be.

You said earlier that you are waiting for a call back. So hopefully you can establish for which of their courses within the "Health and Social Care - Foundation Year" umbrella (if indeed that's what it is) you would have the best chance of success.

I would suggest that you take care not to apply to just any course in order to gain entry. You'll be studying it for four years, so it really needs to be something you'd enjoy. Good luck! :crossedf:

I'm very worried though as all the health and social care subjects state (applications closed for 2023) perhaps there are no places left. Do you know what the basis for clearing is? Is it first come, first serve? As I applied through priority clearing meaning I got a call on results day in a matter of 2 minutes after clearing had opened I am mainly passionate about midwifery what do you suggest I do?
Reply 7
Also do you think the foundation nursing associate degree would be a good option? Is it possible for me to know which subjects are still available in Clearing?

SEARCH

MENU

Foundation Degree NURSING ASSOCIATE (DIRECT ENTRY) FDSC
I'm very worried though as all the health and social care subjects state (applications closed for 2023) perhaps there are no places left.

That would certainly seem to be the implication, yes.

Do you know what the basis for clearing is? Is it first come, first serve? As I applied through priority clearing meaning I got a call on results day in a matter of 2 minutes after clearing had opened I am mainly passionate about midwifery what do you suggest I do?

Different universities will handle this is different ways. Suppose you're a university and you have 10 places left on a particular course. You could adopt one of these strategies:
1. Award the places to the first 10 candidates who contact you who meet the entry requirements.
2. Take the details of every candidate who calls you during the first 24 hours (or some other arbitrary time period) and then sift through to work out which candidates are best. Then contact those 10 candidates and give them permission to "formally" apply via UCAS Hub. Confirm the place of each candidate as each formal application arrives.
3. Tell every candidate who calls (and who meets the eligibility requirements) they they have permission to "formally" apply via UCAS Hub. Then, at your leisure (and knowing that these candidates can't formally apply elsewhere as you can only apply to one Clearing place at a time) choose the best 10. Confirm the place of these candidates and reject the rest, potentially days later.

Fortunately, LSBU don't appear to use strategy 3. From what you've described, it sounds more like they're using strategy 2. Would you agree?

As a result it's not "first come, first serve", meaning that the fact that you were able to apply so quickly for midwifery was of little benefit - as it seems that there were other better qualified applicants, unfortunately. :frown:

I know you said earlier that you "really want to study at LSBU", but is it time to start looking at other universities? It's a week since results day, so the number of Clearing spaces will be getting fewer and fewer.
Also do you think the foundation nursing associate degree would be a good option? Is it possible for me to know which subjects are still available in Clearing?

I'm afraid I don't know enough about about their Foundation Degree NURSING ASSOCIATE (DIRECT ENTRY) FDSC course (which does claim to still be available via Clearing) to say whether or not it's a "good option" for you. The course description says, "Successful completion of this course gives you registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) as a Nursing Associate. It can also be a stepping-stone to becoming a Registered Nurse or progress in your career within the health and social care sector." So that's sounds like it might be very useful for you.

It does say, however, that, "You will attend university once a week and work-based learning the rest of the week." I has assumed that you were particularly keen to study at LSBU because of it's location. If that's the case, then it's be worth establishing whether the "work-based learning the rest of the week" would be convenient for you, location-wise.

The courses which still have placed should be as detailed on their Find your course page.
Reply 10
Thank you so much for the information it has been very helpful. I changed my course to Business management and was verbally given an unconditional offer on the telephone. They told me I would receive an email shortly, which I still haven't received for an odd reason. I've contacted the clearing team once again and they resent the email and it still didn't come so I am waiting for another call back. However, I received a text message which had misspelt my name congratulating me on my offer and a reminder for me to not forget to refer myself via UCAS. There appears to be another issue where I have put Adult nursing with foundation year as my clearing choice and it is still unconfirmed although I already have the knowledge that applications for this course is closed. Do you know how I could remove this choice and add the Business management course as there is no decline option because I haven't been offered the place and rather states "unconfirmed" and that provider's have until 18/10/2023 to respond. I don't want to delay my application. I tried to call UCAS many times regarding changing my application however, there was only automated responses even during opening hours and not an actual person at the other end to advise me. I won't be able to try to contact UCAS until Tuesday due to bank holiday. Or would I have to ask LSBU directly to reject me so that I can go back into clearing, as they haven't accepted or rejected, and I feel left hanging.
Thank you so much for the information it has been very helpful. I changed my course to Business management and was verbally given an unconditional offer on the telephone. They told me I would receive an email shortly, which I still haven't received for an odd reason. I've contacted the clearing team once again and they resent the email and it still didn't come so I am waiting for another call back. However, I received a text message which had misspelt my name congratulating me on my offer and a reminder for me to not forget to refer myself via UCAS. There appears to be another issue where I have put Adult nursing with foundation year as my clearing choice and it is still unconfirmed although I already have the knowledge that applications for this course is closed. Do you know how I could remove this choice and add the Business management course as there is no decline option because I haven't been offered the place and rather states "unconfirmed" and that provider's have until 18/10/2023 to respond. I don't want to delay my application. I tried to call UCAS many times regarding changing my application however, there was only automated responses even during opening hours and not an actual person at the other end to advise me. I won't be able to try to contact UCAS until Tuesday due to bank holiday. Or would I have to ask LSBU directly to reject me so that I can go back into clearing, as they haven't accepted or rejected, and I feel left hanging.

Wow, Business Management? Quite a change in tack. Congratulations on the offer! :smile:

If LBSU have sent an e-mail twice now and it hasn't arrived, I'd do two things. (1) Check your Junk / Spam folder, and (2) Check that they have your e-mail address exactly right.

As for the fact that your Adult Nursing with Foundation Year application via Clearing is still unconfirmed, the only people who can fix that are LSBU. Even UCAS can't fix that from there end (as I understand it). LSBU need to update that status.Their web site says "Lines are open 24 hours", so you shouldn't need to wait until Tuesday to get that fixed.

Hi There!

Congratulations on your offer at LSBU!

Please give us a call on the Clearing Hotline on 0800 923 8888 to discuss your current UCAS status and if there is anything outstanding for your offer. If you have not received any emails I would also ask them to check your email address is correct!

Feel free to drop us a direct message also and we can see if we can help further with this.

Many thanks, Rachel
LSBU Admissions
nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending