The Student Room Group

How do i revise for my subjects? Please also recommend good resources (A-levels)

Hi guys, my first set of assessments are coming up (im in year 12) and my teachers haven't really given us any info as to how to revise. idk what the best way to revise for a-levels so am i right in thinking its the same way i revised for gcses?

i'm doing chem (aqa), maths (ocr), sociology (aqa), and eng lit (edexcel) and for chem, i think im okay i just dont have many decent resources. if you have any please let me know. maths is the same so again, please let me know any good revision sites/techniquies/resources you may have

for sociology, i have no idea whatsoever. i didn't do it at gcse to its completely new territotry. should i make flashcards for each piece of research we have come across? is there a good revision site i can use? would essay planning be good? i literally don't even know where to start

i think english is fine? im not sure if there really is anything they can test us on that i cant just use my skills from gcse on? we have just finished looking at some of the anthology poems and have just started Frankenstein and othello. so yeah please give me any good resources that have helped you achieved good grades

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Can't help with the other three, but for Maths, the best way to revise is just to do loads of questions. If you get a question wrong or can't answer it, work out why (and go back over that topic if needed). Any textbooks you have should be filled with questions, you can also access lots of them by topic on drfrostmaths.com. Once you have a thorough understanding of the entire syllabus (or just the AS syllabus) you can also do full AS/A level past papers which allow you to see a bigger mix of questions.
Reply 2
Original post by TazmeenX
Hi guys, my first set of assessments are coming up (im in year 12) and my teachers haven't really given us any info as to how to revise. idk what the best way to revise for a-levels so am i right in thinking its the same way i revised for gcses?

i'm doing chem (aqa), maths (ocr), sociology (aqa), and eng lit (edexcel) and for chem, i think im okay i just dont have many decent resources. if you have any please let me know. maths is the same so again, please let me know any good revision sites/techniquies/resources you may have

for sociology, i have no idea whatsoever. i didn't do it at gcse to its completely new territotry. should i make flashcards for each piece of research we have come across? is there a good revision site i can use? would essay planning be good? i literally don't even know where to start

i think english is fine? im not sure if there really is anything they can test us on that i cant just use my skills from gcse on? we have just finished looking at some of the anthology poems and have just started Frankenstein and othello. so yeah please give me any good resources that have helped you achieved good grades

I did Sociology (AQA) A-level and sat my A-levels in Summer 2019. For Sociology, it is vital that you understand all the different sociological theories well and learn the names of key sociologists and their studies for the topics you're studying, e.g. Merton's Strain Theory for Crime and Deviance. Also practice different exam style questions from short answer to essay-style exam questions and how to answer them. Check out The Sociology Guy, The Teacher Sociology and Hectic Teacher (Sociology).
for chem try 'physics and maths tutor', isaac physics (both of these also have chem) and khan academy

Heya!
Do you use flashcards, spider diagrams, mind maps etc? That would really work for chem :h: Study Mind offers free chem resources from past papers to revision notes if you are interested (they are all separated by topic so that you can focus on specific topics rather than a whole past paper). For maths and English, you could check out Physics and Maths tutor. The best way to approach maths is just doing lots of practice! For essay subjects, essay planning would be the best way to go about it! I did econ and would always plan out my essays before actually doing the question!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6

Hello sister,

In lock down I studied the all of A level maths by picking up maths book and doing the self assessment questions at the end of each chapter.

So, for the for subjects you need to create a four tables. Roughly, 12 rows and 3 columns
1 row/1 column- topic
2 row/ 2 column- specific topics- integration - subt method,etc
3 row/3 column- comments with target setting- e.g- web link help etc

Once you created 4 of these sheets then rest will fall into place. Start with your strongest subject and list down all the topics etc and fill in the rest of the rows and columns. Then start, doing the revision or assessments - plan every subject on different days and times.

If you are still struggling in maths , then post the relevant topic and I shall give the best link.

Shabs

Original post by JT_888
I did Sociology (AQA) A-level and sat my A-levels in Summer 2019. For Sociology, it is vital that you understand all the different sociological theories well and learn the names of key sociologists and their studies for the topics you're studying, e.g. Merton's Strain Theory for Crime and Deviance. Also practice different exam style questions from short answer to essay-style exam questions and how to answer them. Check out The Sociology Guy, The Teacher Sociology and Hectic Teacher (Sociology).

Quick Reply

Latest