The Student Room Group

Histopathology application 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hampineapple
The questions were reasonable, I was just really nervous and all the answers I have prepared gone out of my head, I started word-vomiting without really thinking about what I said. I have not had interviews in a while and was probably underprepared. I finished early and one of the panellist said I could leave now. I feel like that's not a positive sign. The picture interpreting station I found very hard as I am not sure what they wanted. Didn't know how to prepare for that station either.

What was your portfolio score to be shortlisted for interview? I did not get shorlisted for interview. My portfolio score is 19
Original post by HistopathApp
Hi, my score was 38. I don't know what the lower limit for interview was I'm afraid

Congratulations to all who did the interviews and I hope things work out for all of you.
I’m going to apply for the training next year so I have been reading about the process. Currently I’m a GP but have been considering pathology for a while now so I think it’s about time to apply.

I just can’t find much information online about the actual structure of the interview after hours and hours of looking. It’s like a dark hidden secret lol
Can anyone enlighten me a little? The type of questions asked, stations etc. What is the picture station people talk about is it a histo slide?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Reply 42
It is not. They show you a painting by an artist and you have to tell them what you can see on the picture.
Reply 43
Interviews were online this year and we had the picture station, histopathology career related questions, then 5 min break and clinical scenario and a management/leadership scenario.
Original post by GSCr
Interviews were online this year and we had the picture station, histopathology career related questions, then 5 min break and clinical scenario and a management/leadership scenario.

Cheers, you're legends. Art appreciation, I like it. Is the clinical scenario a pathology based scenario or just a general medical one? Just wondering how much pathology i'll need to learn/revise prior to going in if I get an interview next year?
Again thanks
Reply 45
Just a general. You don’t need to know much about pathology apart from very basics which you can get from the interview book-there is only one book that has been published a few years ago, they publish slightly updated version of it every year.
Are they going to announce our rankings on Monday ?
Original post by johnsmiths99
What was your portfolio score to be shortlisted for interview? I did not get shorlisted for interview. My portfolio score is 19

I believe cut off score was at least 27 for this year
Original post by rollingpanda
Are they going to announce our rankings on Monday ?

I think on Monday we just rank our preferences for location but I could well be wrong
Original post by HistopathApp
I think on Monday we just rank our preferences for location but I could well be wrong

But how we can choose before knowing our scores ? I will rank depending on my score
Where are people thinking they’d like to train?
Original post by Anonymouszz

Scotland. How about you?
Can I just double check something? In the email they sent they talk about a "no preference" column, a "not wanted" column and the "preference" column where we put are ranked jobs, but my oriel account only has the "not wanted" and the "preference" column, not a "no preference".
Is that the case for everyone?
I mean I dont think I would ever rank anything in a "no preference" column as I either can commute/live somewhere or I cant cause of my partners jobs we are limited to the south but i just wanted to double check I was not losing my mind haha
Good luck everyone, hoping we all get what we want!
Original post by rollingpanda
But how we can choose before knowing our scores ? I will rank depending on my score

Yeah last year they said that you get your rank and score after jobs come out, so we probably wont hear until after the 13th of March
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah last year they said that you get your rank and score after jobs come out, so we probably wont hear until after the 13th

thank you, but How I can choose without knowing my ranking 😂 quite odd I believe
Reply 55
Original post by skye_7
Can I just double check something? In the email they sent they talk about a "no preference" column, a "not wanted" column and the "preference" column where we put are ranked jobs, but my oriel account only has the "not wanted" and the "preference" column, not a "no preference".
I mean I dont think I would ever rank anything in a "no preference" column as I either can commute/live somewhere or I cant cause of my partners jobs we are limited to the south but i just wanted to double check I was not losing my mind haha

Mine looks like that too. There is no "no preference" column.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 57
Congrats everyone on completing interviews! Does anyone know if there's a difference between the preference choices with the exact same names, but different number of places? And does anyone know what LAT1 stands for?
Just googled it, comes up as ‘locum appointed training’ but not sure how it’s relevant to us

Original post by skye_7
Reply 59
What does it mean if I was able to rank preferences yesterday but today I’ve been sent an email that said unsuccessful at interview. The preferences tab is gone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending