The Student Room Group

Histopathology application 2023

Scroll to see replies

In reply to Anonymous #6 comment/question:

Yeah so if you look at last year's thread, the interview score to be appointable was said was 106/152 - dont know if it changes every year based on applicants and how people do overall OR if its fixed, but I know of people last year who were appointable and scored more than 106 but still didn't get an offer

That being said I dont know if they ranked every place or not, but Im pretty sure there are more people appointable than the number of jobs - especially as there might be people that are appointable and get through to the preferencing section but who actually want to do another speciality- i think if the amount of people allowed to preference matched exactly with how many jobs there are on offer then they would end up having vacancies because some people might not take their offer up if they get an offer in a different speciality
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 81
I have no idea if this is accurate but if you're looking for past applicant rankings by deanery then here's a spreadsheet I found floating around on the internet. It tells you the lowest rank of applicant that received offers in each area for 2020 and 2021.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RM_N9EbyID-tNDX4fMb2KQzH2zyV6eZlKhWJg3lJHVo/edit#gid=1158027594
(edited 1 year ago)
Can we assume if we are still able to preference that we have passed the cut off for interviews?
scotland is fantastic for training - places like glasglow
Original post by FATchristopher
Can we assume if we are still able to preference that we have passed the cut off for interviews?

I don't think there will be an official answer on this but this is what I think is likely
Reply 85
Anyhow have an idea when ranking would be released?
Original post by UJMA
Anyhow have an idea when ranking would be released?

I wish I knew, waiting is too stresfull.
Monday 12/03
Are there really only 5 places in Scotland this year and none in Glasgow? Seems mad considering its usually 9 or 10 posts?
Original post by histolyfe
Are there really only 5 places in Scotland this year and none in Glasgow? Seems mad considering its usually 9 or 10 posts?

Scotland is a fantastic place to train from what i heard from current trainees. Are you planning to go to Scotland also?
Reply 90
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to go about the preference ranking? I've heard the training programmes are pretty consistent across the UK. As someone applying from abroad I don't have any insight on how to decide which cities to move to other than cost of living and the city lifestyles or weather. Is London really that difficult to afford to live in with a two household income? I basically don't have any ties to any particular city so I don't even know how to decide how to rank all fifty programmes.

Any advice appreciated and good luck to all!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ninc
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to go about the preference ranking? I've heard the training programmes are pretty consistent across the UK. As someone applying from abroad I don't have any insight on how to decide which cities to move to other than cost of living and the city lifestyles or weather. Is London really that difficult to afford to live in with a two household income? I basically don't have any ties to any particular city so I don't even know how to decide how to rank all fifty programmes.

Yeah, London is expensive! Tbh I’d just rank them all, but start with places that are affordable! Rightmove or google the ST1 schools areas
Original post by ninc

Scotland is a fantastic for training - places like glasglow. London is sh*t & overated tbh
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 93
Original post by johnsmiths99
Scotland is a fantastic for training - places like glasglow. London is sh*t & overated tbh

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. Would you know if the rotations around Glasgow far away from each other? Regarding London, is the training crap because of how busy the hospitals there are, or is the city in general just crappy and overrated?
Original post by ninc
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. Would you know if the rotations around Glasgow far away from each other? Regarding London, is the training crap because of how busy the hospitals there are, or is the city in general just crappy and overrated?

Training in London is not great - very service provision like, not good for trainees. Consultants are overwelmed with workload to actually teach you anything. Training in Scotland - Glasglow/Edinburgh is consistently ranked high among trainees.
Reply 95
Original post by johnsmiths99
Training in London is not great - very service provision like, not good for trainees. Consultants are overwelmed with workload to actually teach you anything. Training in Scotland - Glasglow/Edinburgh is consistently ranked high among trainees.

That's really helpful, thank you!
Reply 96
Original post by Kathrynjaneway
Yeah, London is expensive! Tbh I’d just rank them all, but start with places that are affordable! Rightmove or google the ST1 schools areas

Thank you! Good shout, i will have a look at right move to try and get an idea of the housing situation
Reply 97
Where did you find this treasure of an excel sheet? 🥹

Original post by you58
I have no idea if this is accurate but if you're looking for past applicant rankings by deanery then here's a spreadsheet I found floating around on the internet. It tells you the lowest rank of applicant that received offers in each area for 2020 and 2021.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RM_N9EbyID-tNDX4fMb2KQzH2zyV6eZlKhWJg3lJHVo/edit#gid=1158027594
Original post by rokzie

the user has literally linked it in their post.
Reply 99
Original post by rokzie

It has been shared for some time on Reddit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending