The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Middlesex University - Will I get kicked out if I only attend one or two classes a wk

I’ve seven classes a week. Will I get kicked out if I only go to once or two classes a week?

Scroll to see replies

You could quite possibly be subjected to disciplinary action, yes. I didn't go to Middlesex, but at mine the expectation was that if you were a home student, you'd attend at least 50% of lectures and 75% of your tutorials in a 2 week period, anything short of that and you'd get a warning about non engagement.
(edited 1 year ago)
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
I’ve seven classes a week. Will I get kicked out if I only go to once or two classes a week?
Screenshot of what I quoted, Middlesex Attendance policy:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Screenshot of what I quoted, Middlesex Attendance policy:
Just attend all the classes, that’s what you’re at uni for.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Just attend all the classes, that’s what you’re at uni for.

Content warning: suicide and self harm

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Do they actually track attendance? My undergrad didn’t for lectures so I just watched online (mature student, also commuting and working).

Tutorials we had to attend so I did.
Original post by Catherine1973
Do they actually track attendance? My undergrad didn’t for lectures so I just watched online (mature student, also commuting and working).

Tutorials we had to attend so I did.

My uni have said if we don't get 70% attendance in each module, we can't sit the final exam.
That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t commit suicide, she believes that university is necessary for survival, last time I dropped out twice in 2019, she gave me scissors to stab her. She’s suicidal & has depression, I’d rather not be kicked out.
I’m currently experiencing an autistic burnout & have an anxiety disorder, suffer from agoraphobia. Going to university is extremely difficult for me, being amongst or surrounded by people is extremely difficult for me.

Have you spoken to your uni wellbeing/disability services about this? They may be able to put certain adjustments in place to make attending easier for you, or at the very least have it on file that you will struggle to attend for reasons beyond just not being bothered (I'm also autistic, and my uni reasonable adjustments plan explains that I may not always be able attend, with advice for me and my teaching staff on how to work around that). They could also support you with your mother, it can't be good for your mental health to feel responsible for hers.

The 3 week statement means exactly what it says, but doesn't necessarily mean that other attendance issues won't also lead to withdrawal. Just attending once every 3 weeks means you won't fall foul of that specific rule, but they could still take issue with your attendance being low in a more long term sense and have consequences for that.

Why would you want to spend £9,250 per year and only attend once or twice a week?

Are you not worried that in addition to the education you'll be missing out on, you'll also miss important announcements about when assignments are due, or what topics you should read-up on before the next lecture?
That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t commit suicide, she believes that university is necessary for survival, last time I dropped out twice in 2019, she gave me scissors to stab her. She’s suicidal & has depression, I’d rather not be kicked out.
I’m currently experiencing an autistic burnout & have an anxiety disorder, suffer from agoraphobia. Going to university is extremely difficult for me, being amongst or surrounded by people is extremely difficult for me.

In that case I agree with the above, you need to speak to disability and well-being services and your academic department about your circumstances.

Depending on the unis monitoring policy, you are liable to face disciplinary action for the attendance levels above, (best case). As we move back to face to face teaching, I don’t see how you’d be able to complete the course in this way.

Imagine if you are an employer and your employee only turned in one day per week. They oils be history.

why are you doing this? It’s like you are hitting the self destruct button.
Original post by DataVenia
Why would you want to spend £9,250 per year and only attend once or twice a week?

Are you not worried that in addition to the education you'll be missing out on, you'll also miss important announcements about when assignments are due, or what topics you should read-up on before the next lecture?

That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni

Content warning: Mention of someone with suicidal thoughts

Spoiler

Original post by Oxford Mum
Imagine if you are an employer and your employee only turned in one day per week. They oils be history.

why are you doing this? It’s like you are hitting the self destruct button.

That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t hurt herself.

That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t hurt herself. she believes that university is necessary for survival, last time I dropped out twice in 2019, She’s suicidal & has depression, I’d rather not be kicked out.

Also, currently seeing if it’s possible for me to be a home based student.
That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t hurt herself, she believes that university is necessary for survival, last time I dropped out twice in 2019, She’s suicidal & has depression, I’d rather not be kicked out.

Also, currently seeing if it’s possible for me to be a home based student.
That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t hurt herself, she believes that university is necessary for survival, last time I dropped out twice in 2019, She’s suicidal & has depression, I’d rather not be kicked out.

Please, please, please tell someone. I cannot stress this enough. Professional help is needed.
Original post by iL1L
Please, please, please tell someone. I cannot stress this enough. Professional help is needed.

Exactly this. There may be measures in place that can help you.
Original post by iL1L

Oh...for me or for my mam because she already sees a therapist. I'll be okay if I don't have to go to university. Being around people is a problem for me and I always get panic attacks in those environments and when I have to talk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending