The Student Room Group

stuggling with college, is 20 too late for uni?. please give some advice

i hate the course i'm doing. i did a creative course in my 1st year (i just passed) and switched to a health care couse (due to thinking about money) and now i'm retaking 1st year (it's a two year course like most btecs). my attendance is bad and i got told they'll withdraw me on friday but i still feel some hope of them keeping me on. applications for colleges are done for 2023 and now are all for 2024/5. if i took this year off to find a job and then start again next year i'd basically be two years behind in uni.

unless i do the 2nd year of my creative course but if my 1st year i got just a pass and the second year i got two distinction * will that be good enough? enough points? i guess it depends on the uni.

i have to retake maths and if i did get taken off idk where i'll retake it or how i'll pay for it. finding a job is so hard. i'm 17 at the moment but i'll be 18 next year. i feel like everyones got everything sorted and i'm just so behind.
Original post by standupstar94
i hate the course i'm doing. i did a creative course in my 1st year (i just passed) and switched to a health care couse (due to thinking about money) and now i'm retaking 1st year (it's a two year course like most btecs). my attendance is bad and i got told they'll withdraw me on friday but i still feel some hope of them keeping me on. applications for colleges are done for 2023 and now are all for 2024/5. if i took this year off to find a job and then start again next year i'd basically be two years behind in uni.

unless i do the 2nd year of my creative course but if my 1st year i got just a pass and the second year i got two distinction * will that be good enough? enough points? i guess it depends on the uni.

i have to retake maths and if i did get taken off idk where i'll retake it or how i'll pay for it. finding a job is so hard. i'm 17 at the moment but i'll be 18 next year. i feel like everyones got everything sorted and i'm just so behind.

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time but there is no need to worry about being left behind. Not everyone has to go to uni before or during their 20's. Many people, especially in my family have gone to university in their late 30's and my mum did a short uni course when she was 50.
Please try not to think about being left behind. You're still so young. As long as you keep going at your own pace and manage to keep striving for what you want and need, I believe you will make it.
The more you stress, the more pressure you'll put on yourself. If you do get withdrawn and don't know where to take your maths, ask your current place of study for advice. As for affordability, it's not ideal but maybe taking a trip down to the job centre will help, they may be able to give
you some advice and help you to find a job. I hope this advice helps xx
Reply 2
Original post by FireAngel96
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through a tough time but there is no need to worry about being left behind. Not everyone has to go to uni before or during their 20's. Many people, especially in my family have gone to university in their late 30's and my mum did a short uni course when she was 50.
Please try not to think about being left behind. You're still so young. As long as you keep going at your own pace and manage to keep striving for what you want and need, I believe you will make it.
The more you stress, the more pressure you'll put on yourself. If you do get withdrawn and don't know where to take your maths, ask your current place of study for advice. As for affordability, it's not ideal but maybe taking a trip down to the job centre will help, they may be able to give
you some advice and help you to find a job. I hope this advice helps xx

hey this is an update. on wednesday there was a collective attendance meeting and they basically just warned us, i'm just scared to go into class since i missed so much work i'm going to go in friday and see if i am kicked off or not by going to class but hopefully i am not and by next week i'll really fix my attendence.
Original post by standupstar94
hey this is an update. on wednesday there was a collective attendance meeting and they basically just warned us, i'm just scared to go into class since i missed so much work i'm going to go in friday and see if i am kicked off or not by going to class but hopefully i am not and by next week i'll really fix my attendence.

If they've just warned you then it can't be too bad. If they wanted you out, they wouldn't have let you stay. I don't know about you, but I see this as a second chance to turn your attendance around. If you are off sick or off college for any reason, just make sure you have proof like a doctor's note or appointment letter. Then that'd probably force their hand to keep you on. That's just my perspective.
Reply 4
Original post by FireAngel96
If they've just warned you then it can't be too bad. If they wanted you out, they wouldn't have let you stay. I don't know about you, but I see this as a second chance to turn your attendance around. If you are off sick or off college for any reason, just make sure you have proof like a doctor's note or appointment letter. Then that'd probably force their hand to keep you on. That's just my perspective.

they told me they'll kick me off on tuesday then the next day was the meeting and the meeting was a warning to everyone so i'm just confused. i'll go in anyways and see if anything happens tomorrow, also thank you for being supportive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending