The Student Room Group

Attendance at uni?

Second year undergrad home student at NTU with really bad attendance - I do catch up online and have good grades from last year. I just learn better watching lectures back on 1.25 x speed lol.
Can I get kicked out for bad attendance despite good grades?
Original post by samtopps
Second year undergrad home student at NTU with really bad attendance - I do catch up online and have good grades from last year. I just learn better watching lectures back on 1.25 x speed lol.

Hi @samtopps

Yes unfortunately you can be kicked off the course if your attendance is poor.

There is usually a minimum percentage they require you to attend. For example, my university requires something like 60% attendance. If you go below that consistently then you will probably start receiving emails from the university regarding your attendance. At some point, your course lead will also get in touch with you to figure out why you are not attending.

I am currently in my third year and I can assure you that I would not have achieved the grades that I wanted in my second year if I missed my in-person lectures. Going from Level 5 to Level 6 is a big jump in terms of how intellectually challenging the content is. Sometimes the only way to really understand all these new concepts is by having an expert (your lecturer) break them down and explain them to you in simpler terms. Plus, second and third year count towards your overall classification!

Don’t get me wrong I really struggled with my attendance in my first year too. But what worked for me was to tell myself over and over again that I didn’t have a choice. I just set my alarms, got up, and went to my lectures without even giving myself the time to talk myself out of going.

You are paying a lot of money for your degree so try to make the most of it!

I hope you can figure out a way to start attending more lectures:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Yeah, you can be removed for poor attendance. Your grades are irrelevant.
Reply 3
See it happen semi-regularly.
Original post by gjd800
See it happen semi-regularly.

Ooof.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @samtopps

Yes unfortunately you can be kicked off the course if your attendance is poor.

There is usually a minimum percentage they require you to attend. For example, my university requires something like 60% attendance. If you go below that consistently then you will probably start receiving emails from the university regarding your attendance. At some point, your course lead will also get in touch with you to figure out why you are not attending.

I am currently in my third year and I can assure you that I would not have achieved the grades that I wanted in my second year if I missed my in-person lectures. Going from Level 5 to Level 6 is a big jump in terms of how intellectually challenging the content is. Sometimes the only way to really understand all these new concepts is by having an expert (your lecturer) break them down and explain them to you in simpler terms. Plus, second and third year count towards your overall classification!

Don’t get me wrong I really struggled with my attendance in my first year too. But what worked for me was to tell myself over and over again that I didn’t have a choice. I just set my alarms, got up, and went to my lectures without even giving myself the time to talk myself out of going.

You are paying a lot of money for your degree so try to make the most of it!

I hope you can figure out a way to start attending more lectures:smile:

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
hii
I m bcu student and My attendence is low. how to improve it? I have only 6 weeks and in every week there are three days of lectures. kindly suggest something .
Original post by samtopps
HiiHope you are all wellI need your help guys. I got 65% of attendance but i have toincrease it upto 80%. only 6 weeks are left and in everyweek if I attend all lectures , I will get 100%. My qs is that Isit posible to reach on my goal in pending 6 weeks.. Kindlykindly reply ..
Original post by NavneetkaurThind
hii
I m bcu student and My attendence is low. how to improve it? I have only 6 weeks and in every week there are three days of lectures. kindly suggest something .
Hi @NavneetkaurThind

If you're having trouble with your attendance, it's probably best to start looking at the reason why you are missing classes and lectures. Is it a motivational thing? Something else like work or family life getting in the way? Or just getting up for uni making it harder to get yourself in for the lectures? Once you work out what it is that is perhaps lowering your attendance, maybe you can work on a way to improve it?

I would definitely get in touch with your tutors if you can to talk about the sessions you've missed and about ways you can bring your attendance back up.

Hope this helps. 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending