The Student Room Group

kicked out of college

didn't give me a heads up went into college on monday everything was fine. they had a 3 day teacher strike tues-thurs, tried to go in friday, was locked out of my account i knew what that meant. called them up and it's funny because she said i wouldn't pass but she doesn't know any of my abilities and is going off just by attendence when some of the students in that college is barely passing but still is on the course because of good attendence lmao, i took this subject in gcse too i did very well even though my attendence was very poor at that time too. i spoke to the schools welfare person way before this all happened and i had an appointment in a week i mentioned that to the main teacher of the subject but she said i can't attend that meeting because i won't be a student so i can't have access to the support in the school and i said but that meeting was discussing the reasons why i don't come in, in the first place and she changed the subject lmao this college is a joke and i've never felt more lonely until i joined this college. i have a meeting next week with my father and her, she told me she wasnt aware of this and but she'll go ahead with that meeting anyways. she said she'll tell him how they warned me and i didn't come in ect. (my father already knows i don't go in btw) this meeting was supposed to discuss on how to help me to come in and now it feels like she's just going try paint me out to be a bad person after she kicked me off. i felt little when she did all that, trying to make out that she'll just tell on me, whatever.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i got sent a letter way before this stuff happened too, telling me about a meeting where they'll help and discuss to improve my attendence but they just kicked me off, i don't know what to do with my life anymore.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
i got sent a letter way before this stuff happened too, telling me about a meeting where they'll help and discuss to improve my attendence but they just kicked me off, i don't know what to do with my life anymore.

When was that meeting, did you attend it and, if so, did you follow any recommendations made? If not, why not?
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
When was that meeting, did you attend it and, if so, did you follow any recommendations made? If not, why not?

the meeting is next week, this letter was sent in the beginning of the year before college started. so they just kicked me out before the meeting. the teacher i spoke to just used last year as an excuse to kick me out when this year its only been two weeks and the whole of the second week has been a teachers strike.
Reply 4
the meeting is next week, this letter was sent in the beginning of the year before college started. so they just kicked me out before the meeting. the teacher i spoke to just used last year as an excuse to kick me out when this year its only been two weeks and the whole of the second week has been a teachers strike.

But you knew your attendance was bad, so how long had that been going on for and what had you done to address it, other than speak with student welfare?
My guess is that since they've issued the first warning/meeting date your attendance has fallen further past an acceptable point.

If you just opt out of going this result will be inevitable.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
But you knew your attendance was bad, so how long had that been going on for and what had you done to address it, other than speak with student welfare?

it went on for a while but i was on and off, i didnt do anything else to address it, it took a lot in me to even go to someone for help lmao (student welfare) and i only done that recently
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
My guess is that since they've issued the first warning/meeting date your attendance has fallen further past an acceptable point.

If you just opt out of going this result will be inevitable.

i was supposed to have two weeks to improve it, i've only had four days due to the teacher strikes so its not going to be an insane improvement
Reply 8
Original post by Surnia

since i have a chance to speak with my teachers soon but with my parent shall i just tell the teacher why i haven't been coming in? i've just been saying "personal issues" ect and not really been telling her the actual reason. or is it too late : (
Reply 9
didn't give me a heads up went into college on monday everything was fine. they had a 3 day teacher strike tues-thurs, tried to go in friday, was locked out of my account i knew what that meant. called them up and it's funny because she said i wouldn't pass but she doesn't know any of my abilities and is going off just by attendence when some of the students in that college is barely passing but still is on the course because of good attendence lmao, i took this subject in gcse too i did very well even though my attendence was very poor at that time too. i spoke to the schools welfare person way before this all happened and i had an appointment in a week i mentioned that to the main teacher of the subject but she said i can't attend that meeting because i won't be a student so i can't have access to the support in the school and i said but that meeting was discussing the reasons why i don't come in, in the first place and she changed the subject lmao this college is a joke and i've never felt more lonely until i joined this college. i have a meeting next week with my father and her, she told me she wasnt aware of this and but she'll go ahead with that meeting anyways. she said she'll tell him how they warned me and i didn't come in ect. (my father already knows i don't go in btw) this meeting was supposed to discuss on how to help me to come in and now it feels like she's just going try paint me out to be a bad person after she kicked me off. i felt little when she did all that, trying to make out that she'll just tell on me, whatever.

This won't have come out of the blue. From what you say, it sounds like you have poor attendance and have not been engaging with the learning. You will have had letters, emails and warnings prior to this point. You will have been given specific targets to meet and will have failed to have met those targets hence the situation you now find yourself in. There is a lesson in life here somewhere.

It might be time to take a break, get a job and do something completely different. Then, when your motivation has returned perhaps you could try adult education and seek qualifications later on?
Reply 10
since i have a chance to speak with my teachers soon but with my parent shall i just tell the teacher why i haven't been coming in? i've just been saying "personal issues" ect and not really been telling her the actual reason. or is it too late : (

I don't know about 'too' late, but it's certainly late if you've got to the stage of being removed from the course. If you've got any supporting evidence, like medical information, take it with you. Plus, if you want to continue you'll have to be very convincing; don't bring into it that other people are scraping by, this is about you and your lack of engagement with the teaching and teachers. It's not just education on subjects, you learn personal qualities like communication and discipline. Sympathise with you for saying it was difficult to reach out, but that's why the welfare people are there. What would you do in a job, not turn up and expect to be kept on?

You don't have to respond to this part, just food for thought: are you going to be able to talk freely with a family member present or might you need some time one-on-one to explain the issues?
(edited 3 months ago)
I have worked in a college and my role included monitoring student attendance and setting up student disciplinary meetings for misconduct which also covered poor attendance.

Some students buried their head in the sands and failed to attend meetings to discuss matters.

In our college, decisions were made regardless of whether the student chose to engage or not with the processes.

I think some students thought no changes could be made to their status if they refused to be involved but that's not the case. It is only a 'surprise' to students if they choose to ignore our communications to them.

Your college should have a published policy that sets out student expectations around conduct and attendance, including the process for dealing with it and how students get withdrawn. Have a good read of it.

To me, it sounds like maybe your welfare meeting was set up in advance of your expulsion from college.

If you are no longer a student then it's game over, you have left it far too late to engage with the college. Perhaps they are having the welfare meeting as a courtesy to help you move on from college, discuss your next steps?
If there is a student union, then contact them to see if they can advocate for you, what the appeal process is (if any at this stage) and if they can check that the college has followed their procedures properly.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous #2
I have worked in a college and my role included monitoring student attendance and setting up student disciplinary meetings for misconduct which also covered poor attendance.

Some students buried their head in the sands and failed to attend meetings to discuss matters.

In our college, decisions were made regardless of whether the student chose to engage or not with the processes.

I think some students thought no changes could be made to their status if they refused to be involved but that's not the case. It is only a 'surprise' to students if they choose to ignore our communications to them.

Your college should have a published policy that sets out student expectations around conduct and attendance, including the process for dealing with it and how students get withdrawn. Have a good read of it.

To me, it sounds like maybe your welfare meeting was set up in advance of your expulsion from college.

If you are no longer a student then it's game over, you have left it far too late to engage with the college. Perhaps they are having the welfare meeting as a courtesy to help you move on from college, discuss your next steps?

the meeting with the student welfare person is different to the meeting i will have with the head of the course, she said i can't attend the welfare meeting if i'm not a student anymore i dont have access to the support even though i told her i was supposed to have the meeting to discuss the reasons for my bad attendence and try work around it
Reply 14
Original post by Surnia
I don't know about 'too' late, but it's certainly late if you've got to the stage of being removed from the course. If you've got any supporting evidence, like medical information, take it with you. Plus, if you want to continue you'll have to be very convincing; don't bring into it that other people are scraping by, this is about you and your lack of engagement with the teaching and teachers. It's not just education on subjects, you learn personal qualities like communication and discipline. Sympathise with you for saying it was difficult to reach out, but that's why the welfare people are there. What would you do in a job, not turn up and expect to be kept on?

You don't have to respond to this part, just food for thought: are you going to be able to talk freely with a family member present or might you need some time one-on-one to explain the issues?

i think i'll speak to her one to one before i sit with my parent and i'll explain properly, i kind of just avoided and stayed quiet while she talked to me last time because i didnt want to tell her my business but i think i just have to at this point
The main thing that you should do is read and understand the attendance/conduct/withdrawal process.

With the assistance of a Student Union or Student Council representative, you should identify if you are able to appeal the action to expel you.

When I worked for a college, there were clear guidelines on the student misconduct procedures and a firm time limit for the student to appeal a decision. Have you read these policies, what is the time limit and is there anyone who can support your appeal?

You are not a student there now and Im worried that you may misunderstanding the purpose of your meeting, that you feel if you belatedly explain why your attendance is poor, you will get reinstated. Do you even know what the purpose of the meeting is and what the possible outcomes are?

Ive seen college students sleep walk into being withdrawn, not engaging in any discussions or action plans and then being surprised that they can no longer study.

After the disciplinary outcome, they then don't understand how to make an effective appeal. If they challenge it at all, its too late or they don't have any grounds for it to be overturned.

What never happened in my Faculty was any withdrawn student ever being reinstated. Also, absolutely no further support or meetings were held after withdrawal except for a formal appeal process.
You wrote "it's funny because she said i wouldn't pass but she doesn't know any of my abilities and is going off just by attendence when some of the students in that college is barely passing but still is on the course because of good attendence lmao, i took this subject in gcse too i did very well even though my attendence was very poor at that time too."

I found this passage very alarming because you seem to minimise your behaviour and responsibilities as a student on the grounds that you are innately smart, smarter than the other students, so your poor attendance should be irrelevant.

It's probably because I have worked in FE/HE and know that the absolute minimum a student should do is to regularly attend class and only be absent due to sickness or similar and even then they should always keep the college informed why they were absent (its a basic student task).

And it's probably because I see College as prepararing its students to move towards employment, too, so attendance and punctuality is an absolute basic skill to retain a job.

If you miss a day's work without following the procedure to report an absence to an employer, that can lead to it being treated as misconduct. To go AWOL is likely to be classed as gross misconduct.

I hope you are able to get support and advice for your personal issues and transition into employment ok.
Reply 17
You wrote "it's funny because she said i wouldn't pass but she doesn't know any of my abilities and is going off just by attendence when some of the students in that college is barely passing but still is on the course because of good attendence lmao, i took this subject in gcse too i did very well even though my attendence was very poor at that time too."

I found this passage very alarming because you seem to minimise your behaviour and responsibilities as a student on the grounds that you are innately smart, smarter than the other students, so your poor attendance should be irrelevant.

It's probably because I have worked in FE/HE and know that the absolute minimum a student should do is to regularly attend class and only be absent due to sickness or similar and even then they should always keep the college informed why they were absent (its a basic student task).

And it's probably because I see College as prepararing its students to move towards employment, too, so attendance and punctuality is an absolute basic skill to retain a job.

If you miss a day's work without following the procedure to report an absence to an employer, that can lead to it being treated as misconduct. To go AWOL is likely to be classed as gross misconduct.

I hope you are able to get support and advice for your personal issues and transition into employment ok.

i understand also i know its a basic student task but i wasn't in the right mind to keep my teachers updated on why i was absent i was worrying about other things still not an excuse but yeah but i do hope she hears me out tomorrow, i dont really know what to expect or how to even bring it to the surface that i want to speak one to one about why i was absent so much since i'd be with my parent before i hand the phone over shall i just have a quick talk? i hope i do get the support too i just really want to do well, i know i can, i'm stopping myself by not attending i really hope she gives me another chance : ( im so nervous
Reply 18
The main thing that you should do is read and understand the attendance/conduct/withdrawal process.

With the assistance of a Student Union or Student Council representative, you should identify if you are able to appeal the action to expel you.

When I worked for a college, there were clear guidelines on the student misconduct procedures and a firm time limit for the student to appeal a decision. Have you read these policies, what is the time limit and is there anyone who can support your appeal?

You are not a student there now and Im worried that you may misunderstanding the purpose of your meeting, that you feel if you belatedly explain why your attendance is poor, you will get reinstated. Do you even know what the purpose of the meeting is and what the possible outcomes are?

Ive seen college students sleep walk into being withdrawn, not engaging in any discussions or action plans and then being surprised that they can no longer study.

After the disciplinary outcome, they then don't understand how to make an effective appeal. If they challenge it at all, its too late or they don't have any grounds for it to be overturned.

What never happened in my Faculty was any withdrawn student ever being reinstated. Also, absolutely no further support or meetings were held after withdrawal except for a formal appeal process.

i tried looking for information on appeals, student unions/councils but no luck on my situation. No, i dont know what the purpose of this meeting is anymore because this meeting was supposed to "Discuss expected behaviour and set further targets for improvement failure to improve will result with a final review with the principle and a possible withdrawal from the course" i had been withdrawn before the meeting which was kinda supposed to help me, she told me she gave warnings before christmas break so thats why i got withdrawn but this was sent out in the beginning of the year after christmas break and i was supposed to have two weeks to kind of improve. the course teacher didnt know i had this meeting i was supposed to have it with my tutor so she just decided to take the meeting into her own hands i guess. i havent had a meeting until this, this would be my first and i know you said i may be misunderstanding the purpose of this but this just seems all over the place to me i didnt get my two weeks of grace to improve this was the only time i was specifically supposed to be monitered and other times they said they were going to moniter me was until of june 2024 that is it. i havent really had specific targets directed to me or a proper conversation with them until the letter asking for a meeting.

I just got kicked out of 6form for poor attendance too when my grades are fine. I don't know what to do either. They suggested I do it privately at home because my health is whatcaused my low attendance. I cannot afford that so they told me to study at home and then in September go to a different 6form or college for year 13. Wtf am I meant to be doing until then and how tf am I meant to find a place that does direct entry for yr13. 6forms and colleges really need to fix tf up. If grades are fine, attendance shouldn't matter. Instead they should be providing support to get that attendance up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending