The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Middlesex University - Will I get kicked out if I only attend one or two classes a wk

Scroll to see replies

I think you should talk to someone as well
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Original post by iL1L
I think you should talk to someone as well

Hello, il1l and everyone who is following this thread as unfortunately I couldn't find the thread starter.
Thank you for your question my name is Rebecca I am a student ambassador for Middlesex University.

Student Finance requires us to report your attendance to them an if you are studying on a student visa then we will need to report your attendance to the home office.

This is from our student attendance policy which you can access here https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/165160/atp.pdf#:~:text=Middlesex%20University%20Student%20Attendance%20Policy.%20The%20University%20Regulations,of%20International%20Students%29%20require%20attendance%20to%20be%20monitored.

Things students should know about Attendance
Many parts of the University now use an electronic register that will generate
reports showing student attendance.
It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that their attendance is recorded
If a student misses two consecutive sessions on a module component that is using
the electronic system they will receive an email from [email protected]
reminding them of their obligations.
If a student misses two consecutive sessions on a module component that is not
using the electronic system you may be contacted by your Module Tutor,

Programme Leader, or Student Achievement Officer reminding you of your
obligations.
If you are absent from three consecutive sessions you will be advised to make
contact with a Student Achievement Officer.
If you miss four consecutive sessions you will be required to make an appointment
with a Student Achievement Officer.
Spot checks will be carried out to ensure that the attendance policy is not being
circumvented; students should therefore make sure they have their student card
when attending classes.
Your punctuality and attendance are important; if you are frequently late or your
attendance falls below the required amount specified in your programme handbook
your student record will be reviewed. Following this you may be withdrawn for your
module/programme.
Any queries must be referred to [email protected]

So ultimately no you will not be able to attend only a few classes from your programme as you have made a fulltime commitment to study, which means a five day a week commitment if you are not in classes you will need to be studying. If this isn't possible for you, you can consider out part time study option that is available for some courses you will need to check on our website if your course has this study mode available.

I hope this helps answer your question if you have any more questions feel free to message me. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve seven classes a week. Will I get kicked out if I only go to once or two classes a week?

@Middlesex University

That is not what I’m at Uni for. I’m in uni so my ma doesn’t hurt herself.

I’m currently experiencing an autistic burnout & have an anxiety disorder, suffer from agoraphobia. Going to university is extremely difficult for me, being amongst or surrounded by people is extremely difficult for me.
Oh...for me or for my mam because she already sees a therapist. I'll be okay if I don't have to go to university. Being around people is a problem for me and I always get panic attacks in those environments and when I have to talk.

Hello, Anonymous
Please contact Middlesex Universities care and concern team by calling the Middlesex University Security team on this number here 02084116200 and ask to speak to the Designated Safeguarding officer from 9am on Monday they are trained professionals that will be able to help and support you to be successful with your studies and possibly contact the local authority if you need support outside of university. There is help out there you just need to ask. You can also contact the Middlesex University Care and Concern team by email here [email protected]

I am also on the Autism spectrum and have been through some similar difficulties during my studies so I understand how isolating it can feel. Even though it feels like you are alone there is help and support out there and you deserve to achieve your dreams and be happy.

If you need any more contact details or general information feel free to message me. But please contact our support services as they will be able to arrange support for you.

These are also some useful links
Disability Service support
https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/support/disability-and-dyslexia

Counselling and Mental Health Services at MDX
https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/support/counselling-and-mental-health

Samaritans
https://www.samaritans.org/
Original post by Middlesex University
Hello, il1l and everyone who is following this thread as unfortunately I couldn't find the thread starter.
Thank you for your question my name is Rebecca I am a student ambassador for Middlesex University.

Student Finance requires us to report your attendance to them an if you are studying on a student visa then we will need to report your attendance to the home office.

This is from our student attendance policy which you can access here https://unihub.mdx.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/165160/atp.pdf#:~:text=Middlesex%20University%20Student%20Attendance%20Policy.%20The%20University%20Regulations,of%20International%20Students%29%20require%20attendance%20to%20be%20monitored.

Things students should know about Attendance
Many parts of the University now use an electronic register that will generate
reports showing student attendance.
It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that their attendance is recorded
If a student misses two consecutive sessions on a module component that is using
the electronic system they will receive an email from [email protected]
reminding them of their obligations.
If a student misses two consecutive sessions on a module component that is not
using the electronic system you may be contacted by your Module Tutor,

Programme Leader, or Student Achievement Officer reminding you of your
obligations.
If you are absent from three consecutive sessions you will be advised to make
contact with a Student Achievement Officer.
If you miss four consecutive sessions you will be required to make an appointment
with a Student Achievement Officer.
Spot checks will be carried out to ensure that the attendance policy is not being
circumvented; students should therefore make sure they have their student card
when attending classes.
Your punctuality and attendance are important; if you are frequently late or your
attendance falls below the required amount specified in your programme handbook
your student record will be reviewed. Following this you may be withdrawn for your
module/programme.
Any queries must be referred to [email protected]

So ultimately no you will not be able to attend only a few classes from your programme as you have made a fulltime commitment to study, which means a five day a week commitment if you are not in classes you will need to be studying. If this isn't possible for you, you can consider out part time study option that is available for some courses you will need to check on our website if your course has this study mode available.

I hope this helps answer your question if you have any more questions feel free to message me. :smile:

Hey there, is it possible for a student to not be withdrawn for missing attendance because they’re a home based student? I’m not talking about distance learning courses, I’m talking about courses that are on campus, is it possible for disabled students to be home based?
Hey there, is it possible for a student to not be withdrawn for missing attendance because they’re a home based student? I’m not talking about distance learning courses, I’m talking about courses that are on campus, is it possible for disabled students to be home based?

Hello, Anonymous
Thank you for your reply, my name is Rebecca I am a student ambassador for Middlesex University.
Are you currently studying at Middlesex University? If yes then what course are you currently studying and what year of study? Unfortunately, if you don't attend classes, you will be failed for the parts of the modules that require engagement and attendance with the course. You will also be likely to be asked to attend a review of your engagement with the course with senior staff if you do not attend. You may also be asked to leave the course if you fail modules on the course due to your lack of engagement with the course content.

Its also important to note that studying from home for a course is not a reasonable adjustment for students with disabilities for the entirety of the course where the course is not designed to run fully distanced or full online.

Please do let me know what you are studying and what year of study you are in with Middlesex University.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

As per post 24, you need to get in touch with them directly :sadnod:
Original post by Middlesex University
Hello, Anonymous
Thank you for your reply, my name is Rebecca I am a student ambassador for Middlesex University.
Are you currently studying at Middlesex University? If yes then what course are you currently studying and what year of study? Unfortunately, if you don't attend classes, you will be failed for the parts of the modules that require engagement and attendance with the course. You will also be likely to be asked to attend a review of your engagement with the course with senior staff if you do not attend. You may also be asked to leave the course if you fail modules on the course due to your lack of engagement with the course content.

Its also important to note that studying from home for a course is not a reasonable adjustment for students with disabilities for the entirety of the course where the course is not designed to run fully distanced or full online.

Please do let me know what you are studying and what year of study you are in with Middlesex University.

Thank you :smile:

Thank you, Rebecca, for your very detailed responses.

this reminds me why it is so important to have university representatives on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending