The Student Room Group

I'm not sure which A level to pick

I am planning to do computer science at university because it is really fascinating and I already do programming outside school quite a lot and It's really fun. I am predicted grade 9 in maths, further maths (aqa level 2), physics, chemistry, computer science (and a few other subjects but not relevant to this field). I am doing really well in computer science and I usually do A level algorithm questions and projects in class already since they're so easy. I am unsure if I should do Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Computer Science or Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Chemistry. I've had people tell me that Ivy League Universities usually prefer and physics and chemistry route and I'm really unsure what to do right now.
Reply 1
I would say the 2nd option as it keeps more doors open. They would still be absolutely great A-lever choices for a computer science degree, but would also allow you to do engineering, physics chemistry type degrees if you changed your mind a wanted to go down that route.
Original post by PawelPow
I am planning to do computer science at university because it is really fascinating and I already do programming outside school quite a lot and It's really fun. I am predicted grade 9 in maths, further maths (aqa level 2), physics, chemistry, computer science (and a few other subjects but not relevant to this field). I am doing really well in computer science and I usually do A level algorithm questions and projects in class already since they're so easy. I am unsure if I should do Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Computer Science or Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Chemistry. I've had people tell me that Ivy League Universities usually prefer and physics and chemistry route and I'm really unsure what to do right now.

Ivy League universities only exist in the US. They will not have a preference which A-level subjects you are taking. Are you applying to US universities?

Check the course on a couple of unis websites to see what (if any) subjects they specify.

As @artful_lounger says, are you applying to university in America then? Or have all these Americanisms just seeped unwittingly into your vocabulary and you're actually going to be applying to UK universities? It's relevant to the answer you need.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Ivy League universities only exist in the US. They will not have a preference which A-level subjects you are taking. Are you applying to US universities?

so they have no subject requirements at all? I want to major in econ but i am unsure if i should take A level math or not even tho im dreading that...UK unis all require math for econ so im confused if its the same case for ivy leagues.
Original post by rlolzor
so they have no subject requirements at all? I want to major in econ but i am unsure if i should take A level math or not even tho im dreading that...UK unis all require math for econ so im confused if its the same case for ivy leagues.

You don't declare your major until after you have started studying there for most US colleges.

You WILL need to study the content of A-level Maths and well beyond in any economics degree, especially in the US. I'd you do not like maths, do not atudy economics at degree level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending