The Student Room Group

sixth form options

I am honestly stuck on my a level options and have no idea what to pick.
I've checked many uni courses, and the course I'm looking into (architecture) requires physics OR maths, an "essay based subject" and references to art+design. would picking English language be way too much for an essay based subject? or could I get away with something like sociology?
Reply 1
hey, both sociology and English language are essay-based subjects so you can choose either, just make sure your A-level options are subjects that suit you and that you would be good at but trying something new can be exciting as well! 🙂 also make sure it is something that YOU want to do, don't pick it out of force or because you feel like you have to, most universities do have a preference for subjects but usually, they aren't compulsory. Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by hanni_nj
hey, both sociology and English language are essay-based subjects so you can choose either, just make sure your A-level options are subjects that suit you and that you would be good at but trying something new can be exciting as well! 🙂 also make sure it is something that YOU want to do, don't pick it out of force or because you feel like you have to, most universities do have a preference for subjects but usually, they aren't compulsory. Hope that helps!

thanks so much for your reply.

the thing is, the sixth form I'm applying for has these four blocks with about 4-5 subjects in each block, and they say once you've picked one subject in that block you cannot pick another one. since physics is my first choice, it limits me from choosing English lang, so I have to look for alternatives. I'm definitely not choosing English literature because of how annoying it is to me..

again many thanks for your reply 👍
Original post by aa.carrera
I am honestly stuck on my a level options and have no idea what to pick.
I've checked many uni courses, and the course I'm looking into (architecture) requires physics OR maths, an "essay based subject" and references to art+design. would picking English language be way too much for an essay based subject? or could I get away with something like sociology?

Very few unis want physics and maths for architecture, and the majority of courses don't specify any required subjects. What the majority do want is a portfolio of creative work as part of the application process, so taking a creative subject at A level will be a big help (about 50% of the modules of an architecture degree are design and the maths content is around GCSE level). What you do need to do is take subjects that you are good at and enjoy, as grade requirements are high. Don't go the maths and physics route if you don't have a flair for these subjects.

Have a look at the following thread showing the A levels required for architecture:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

My son has found that some content from his geography A level has been useful through his course - sense of place, environment and sustainability, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
Very few unis want physics and maths for architecture, and the majority of courses don't specify any required subjects. What the majority do want is a portfolio of creative work as part of the application process, so taking a creative subject at A level will be a big help (about 50% of the modules of an architecture degree are design and the maths content is around GCSE level). What you do need to do is take subjects that you are good at and enjoy, as grade requirements are high. Don't go the maths and physics route if you don't have a flair for these subjects.

Have a look at the following thread showing the A levels required for architecture:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

My son has found that some content from his geography A level has been useful through his course - sense of place, environment and sustainability, etc.

many many thanks for your reply,

I don't do many creative subjects as GCSE/BTEC apart from IT so i can't do much for architecture (unless a miracle occurs). my plan B however is picking chem/bio and something else to get into medicine and health instead. again many thanks👍
Reply 5
thanks so much for your reply.

the thing is, the sixth form I'm applying for has these four blocks with about 4-5 subjects in each block, and they say once you've picked one subject in that block you cannot pick another one. since physics is my first choice, it limits me from choosing English lang, so I have to look for alternatives. I'm definitely not choosing English literature because of how annoying it is to me..

again many thanks for your reply 👍

ohh that makes a lot of sense, i guess if your sixth form does a taster day where you can get a feel for subjects, you can see the other options that you can choose and decide which one interests you the most, see if the work layout is right for you for e.g. does it include a lot of writing etc and if it's relevant to what you want to do in the future etc. All the best luck! :smile:
many many thanks for your reply,

I don't do many creative subjects as GCSE/BTEC apart from IT so i can't do much for architecture (unless a miracle occurs). my plan B however is picking chem/bio and something else to get into medicine and health instead. again many thanks👍

Your welcome :smile:.

The following site is a very good resource to research careers:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest