The Student Room Group

what a-levels should i take and what job should study for?

So I'm in yr11 now due to decide on my a-levels but I'm not too sure at the moment. I'm also not exactly sure what I want to be when I'm older. Either a real estate agent, maybe lawyer (just started thinking of it), marketing or something in business that pays well:smile:

My a-level options include the following: English lit, business, core maths, sociology/psychology, biology/chemistry and politics (just started thinking of the last 3 so not too sure).

I guess it will be hard to know what subjects to pick as I'm not sure for my future job so I need help deciding:
what a-levels should I pick?
what job should I study towards?
should i take 3 or 4 subjects?
is it worth doing biology/chem/politics/core maths?
-thank you:smile:
Original post by rddvelvet.x7
So I'm in yr11 now due to decide on my a-levels but I'm not too sure at the moment. I'm also not exactly sure what I want to be when I'm older. Either a real estate agent, maybe lawyer (just started thinking of it), marketing or something in business that pays well:smile:

My a-level options include the following: English lit, business, core maths, sociology/psychology, biology/chemistry and politics (just started thinking of the last 3 so not too sure).

I guess it will be hard to know what subjects to pick as I'm not sure for my future job so I need help deciding:

Hi @rddvelvet.x7 !

It's great that you are thinking ahead for what sort of career you will want in the future.
The first thing I would say is to think about what subjects you enjoy the most. Nobody can tell you what subjects to pick but from the sounds of it, you might want to look into a studying a business degree which could lead you to many different career paths.

My advice would be to research more into the careers you are thinking about and have a feel for what feels like the best for you. All of the A-Levels you have mentioned are great and all give you options for your future!

Best of luck! 🙂

Emily
Second Year Creative Writing
Original post by rddvelvet.x7

Hi @rddvelvet.x7

It is really good to be looking ahead to the future but don't worry if you don't have all of the answers now! I would recommend choosing A Level subjects that you enjoy as lots of subjects will give you transferrable skills for future careers and you are most likely to do better if you enjoy what you are doing 🙂
In terms of how many A Levels, I would recommend only doing 3 for the full term (as in sitting the exams). If you want to start with 4 and then drop one then that could be useful but no one will ask for 4 A Levels and often doing 4 will result in all of your grades suffering slightly as none can get enough of your attention for you to the best of your ability.
To figure out what you may like to do as a future career, I would recommend looking into different work experience that you can do as it is only through trying things that you can begin to figure out your own passions.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest