The Student Room Group

Careers

Hello everyone!

I have spent the past few weeks researching for potential careers for myself, and I simply have not been able to find the right career for me. I think that I would like a career within Science / Maths / Computer Science / Writing, but I'm not entirely sure and I'm very indecisive, especially after weighing the pros and cons for each potential career which would be suitable for me.

I would like a career which I would enjoy doing, where I can be pushed and challenged, I can be well-paid and one which would also suit my intellectual capabilities.

I wanted to find the ideal career for me so that it would be easier to pick my A-Level choices (which I'm not entirely sure about either) and then make the necessary decisions from there, because I know that for University courses, if you don't pick a particular subject, then you won't be accepted to study that course.

I would be thankful for any help or advice! :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TerinOlanrewaju
Hello everyone!

I have spent the past few weeks researching for potential careers for myself, and I simply have not been able to find the right career for me. I think that I would like a career within Science / Maths / Computer Science / Writing, but I'm not entirely sure and I'm very indecisive, especially after weighing the pros and cons for each potential career which would be suitable for me.

I would like a career which I would enjoy doing, where I can be pushed and challenged, I can be well-paid and one which would also suit my intellectual capabilities.

I wanted to find the ideal career for me so that it would be easier to pick my A-Level choices (which I'm not entirely sure about either) and then make the necessary decisions from there, because I know that for University courses, if you don't pick a particular subject, then you won't be accepted to study that course.

Have u ever considered going into teaching
Hello everyone!

You don't need to pick a career form here, there are lots of options en-route. Think about your best 4 subjects and from them, pick a flexible combination - if you have a standout best subject, then look at degrees for that subject and pick A levels that fit. You could easily pick a combo that fits Science, maths and CompSci options - writing as a career requires to fixed A levels, nor even a specific degree.
Original post by Syed998
Have u ever considered going into teaching

I have (such as through becoming a University Lecturer or Professor), and enjoy sharing my knowledge to others, but I'm shy so I'm not sure if I would have the courage to publicly speak on a regular basis.
Original post by threeportdrift
You don't need to pick a career form here, there are lots of options en-route. Think about your best 4 subjects and from them, pick a flexible combination - if you have a standout best subject, then look at degrees for that subject and pick A levels that fit. You could easily pick a combo that fits Science, maths and CompSci options - writing as a career requires to fixed A levels, nor even a specific degree.

If I narrowed it down to 4 subjects, would this essentially mean that I do 4 A-Levels? Should I do 4 A-Levels?

Also, because I am very indecisive, I feel that if I don't decide on a career (or a couple of careers which interest me) in the near future, then this indecisiveness will continue throughout my A-Levels and then lead me to the same problem when choosing my University course. By then it would have really been useful if I had known the career I want to pursue.
(edited 8 months ago)
If I narrowed it down to 4 subjects, would this essentially mean that I do 4 A-Levels? Should I do 4 A-Levels?

Also, because I am very indecisive, I feel that if I don't decide on a career (or a couple of careers which interest me) in the near future, then this indecisiveness will continue throughout my A-Levels and then lead me to the same problem when choosing my University course. By then it would have really been useful if I had known the career I want to pursue.

No, it would mean you do 3 A levels, dropping the option that is the least, best fit so if the answers to the top 4 are maths, physics, comp sci and PE, you drop PE as an idea, because it doesn't fit degree wise with any of the others)

Being indecisive now is because you don't have enough life experience to make well informed decisions. You need to get more life experience, not make bad decisions for the sake of it.
(edited 8 months ago)
No, it would mean you do 3 A levels, dropping the option that is the least, best fit so if the answers to the top 4 are maths, physics, comp sci and PE, you drop PE as an idea, because it doesn't fit degree wise with any of the others)

Being indecisive now is because you don't have enough life experience to make well informed decisions. You need to get more life experience, not make bad decisions for the sake of it.

I'm not entirely sure which 3 A Levels to pick. I was thinking Maths, Chemistry and Biology, but then if I decided to change career paths and do Computer Science at University, then Further Maths would be useful, especially for Oxbridge. That would mean 4 A Levels...

And thank you for reassuring me that it is OK to be indecisive! But would you say that there is a particular point of life where deciding on your career path would be good?
(edited 8 months ago)
I'm not entirely sure which 3 A Levels to pick. I was thinking Maths, Chemistry and Biology, but then if I decided to change career paths and do Computer Science at University, then Further Maths would be useful, especially for Oxbridge. That would mean 4 A Levels...

And thank you for reassuring me that it is OK to be indecisive!!

Maths, Chemistry and Biology are a really flexible set of A levels that leave you with loads of different directions. Speak to your school about Further Maths and the 4 A level option. Can you do Further Maths in one year?
Maths, Chemistry and Biology are a really flexible set of A levels that leave you with loads of different directions. Speak to your school about Further Maths and the 4 A level option. Can you do Further Maths in one year?

When you say doing Further Maths in one year, do you mean doing Further Maths in Year 12 as an AS, and then dropping it in Year 13?
Original post by TwisterBlade596
When you say doing Further Maths in one year, do you mean doing Further Maths in Year 12 as an AS, and then dropping it in Year 13?

Yes. Research some degree courses where this is acceptable.
Yes. Research some degree courses where this is acceptable.

OK - I will make sure to do that.

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending