The Student Room Group

My parents want the money in my Child Trust Fund. What do I do?

Hello, I have just turned 18. Today, I went to the bank to withdraw the money in my Child Trust Fund. When my mum initially told me about the trust fund, she said that at the time I was born, the government gave each child £250. She said that she and my dad had made the smart decision to put the money into an account with good interest rates and added to it over the years and that it was now at £1000. She told me that they had always planned to spend the money on my 18th birthday presents and party. My immediate reaction was that the £250 was mine and I wanted to decide what it was spent on. It took a lot of persuading (and arguments) but eventually my mum agreed that I would get the £250 and she would get the rest.

So anyway, today we go into the bank to withdraw the money and we are discussing what she is going to spend the remaining £750 on. I check with her that I am still getting the £250 and she says no. I suddenly panicked because at this point, I did not realise that the money went into my account not hers - she had told me the money was hers not mine. I quickly got upset and began insisting that the £250 went to me. She then proceeded to burst into tears in the bank and tell me what a horrible person I am for wanting this money when my parents are struggling financially.

I soon realised that the money was going into my account and it became clear that this money (and not just the £250) is mine. This is confirmed by the clerk who is doing the withdrawal.

My parents threw me an 18th birthday party and (according to my mum) spent £400 on food and drink. We are also doing a meal out to celebrate both mine and my cousin’s birthdays and my mum wants to use £160 of the money to pay for our half of the bill. A few months ago, me and my two best friends (who live in London) made plans to go see Magic Mike in London for our 18ths and my mum agreed to this. Today she tells me that she wants to use the money to pay for my Magic Mike ticket and trip to London. This is a detail she missed out when we made the plans.

I have been doing research on the CTF and have realised it is an account within itself. My parents did not ‘make a smart decision and choose a good account to put it in’ as my mum told me. I have also realised that I am entitled to all the money. It is mine. My parents say that they added to it over the years so anything over the initial £250 belongs to them. When I argue that the £250 must have accumulated interest which belongs to me, my mum says it accumulated barely any as the interest rates have been rubbish for the past 18 years.

I am happy for part of the money to go on my 18th birthday celebrations. But NOT on Magic Mike. I have said that if we can’t afford it, it’s fine and I won’t go but its not coming out of my trust fund. The rest of the money (about £440), I want to have. And I want to know exactly what my parents spend the rest of the money on.

My mum says I am being entitled and horrible and that she dislikes the person I have grown up to be. She says the money belongs to them and I have no right to it or to know what it is being spent on. Even when I say “Ok you can have the money”. She responds with “How dare you tell me that I am allowed the money? IT IS MINE”.

I am devastated by the situation and don’t know what to do. Please help.
(edited 1 year ago)
If the money is in a Child Trust Fund, it is entitled to the child once the turn 18. If the parents take the money and claim it as their own, that is theft and they can be sued.
Original post by elliemaex
Hello, I have just turned 18. Today, I went to the bank to withdraw the money in my Child Trust Fund. When my mum initially told me about the trust fund, she said that at the time I was born, the government gave each child £250. She said that she and my dad had made the smart decision to put the money into an account with good interest rates and added to it over the years and that it was now at £1000. She told me that they had always planned to spend the money on my 18th birthday presents and party. My immediate reaction was that the £250 was mine and I wanted to decide what it was spent on. It took a lot of persuading (and arguments) but eventually my mum agreed that I would get the £250 and she would get the rest.

So anyway, today we go into the bank to withdraw the money and we are discussing what she is going to spend the remaining £750 on. I check with her that I am still getting the £250 and she says no. I suddenly panicked because at this point, I did not realise that the money went into my account not hers - she had told me the money was hers not mine. I quickly got upset and began insisting that the £250 went to me. She then proceeded to burst into tears in the bank and tell me what a horrible person I am for wanting this money when my parents are struggling financially.

I soon realised that the money was going into my account and it became clear that this money (and not just the £250) is mine. This is confirmed by the clerk who is doing the withdrawal.

My parents threw me an 18th birthday party and (according to my mum) spent £400 on food and drink. We are also doing a meal out to celebrate both mine and my cousin’s birthdays and my mum wants to use £160 of the money to pay for our half of the bill. A few months ago, me and my two best friends (who live in London) made plans to go see Magic Mike in London for our 18ths and my mum agreed to this. Today she tells me that she wants to use the money to pay for my Magic Mike ticket and trip to London. This is a detail she missed out when we made the plans.

I have been doing research on the CTF and have realised it is an account within itself. My parents did not ‘make a smart decision and choose a good account to put it in’ as my mum told me. I have also realised that I am entitled to all the money. It is mine. My parents say that they added to it over the years so anything over the initial £250 belongs to them. When I argue that the £250 must have accumulated interest which belongs to me, my mum says it accumulated barely any as the interest rates have been rubbish for the past 18 years.

I am happy for part of the money to go on my 18th birthday celebrations. But NOT on Magic Mike. I have said that if we can’t afford it, it’s fine and I won’t go but its not coming out of my trust fund. The rest of the money (about £440), I want to have. And I want to know exactly what my parents spend the rest of the money on.

My mum says I am being entitled and horrible and that she dislikes the person I have grown up to be. She says the money belongs to them and I have no right to it or to know what it is being spent on. Even when I say “Ok you can have the money”. She responds with “How dare you tell me that I am allowed the money? IT IS MINE”.

The money is yours - your parents chose to add more but the whole lot is legally yours. Talk to the bank
it's your money, she can't take it. you could in theory take her to court for that
The money is entirely yours. Yes your mother is correct, interest rates have been dire (my 17 year old daughter started off with £500 from the government, but currently her CTF is at £486 which is rubbish - I've never added to it, I just save for her in a separate savings account). However that seems to be just about the only realistic thing your mother has said.
Original post by elliemaex
That money is legally yours and you should have all of it - I am not impressed by your parents behaviour

Latest

Trending

Trending