Reply 1
x=-4/3

f'(x):6x+8
=>6x+8=0
<=>x=-4/3

sorry its just guessed :biggrin:
Reply 2
clever_lad
"Complete The Square For the Following Quadratic, then state a value of x which gives the least/minimum value. quadratic: 3x^2 + 8x + 16"

i know how to complete the square, but i dont understand what the second part of the question is about...please help!!

The least value is the bottom of the parabola. In (x + a)2 , '-a' will be the value of x that you need as it will make the brackets zero. The lowest y coordinate will be the constant.
Reply 3
clever_lad
"Complete The Square For the Following Quadratic, then state a value of x which gives the least/minimum value. quadratic: 3x^2 + 8x + 16"

i know how to complete the square, but i dont understand what the second part of the question is about...please help!!

f(x) = 3[(x-1r1r3)^2+10r2r3] in completed square form
Reply 4
thankyou hex :smile:
Reply 5
Bhaal85
f(x) = 3[(x-1r1r3)^2+10r2r3] in completed square form

Thats 3 outside the whole equation. Bracket, x minus one and one third, close bracket squared, plus 10 and two thirds.
Reply 6
is my answer right?
at the bottom of the parabola is f'(x)=0... if f'(x)=0 then x=-4/3 :confused:
Reply 7
clever_lad
thankyou hex :smile:

No problem :wink:
Reply 8
Bhaal85
Thats 3 outside the whole equation. Bracket, x minus one and one third, close bracket squared, plus 10 and two thirds.

Therefore the vertex would be at x=4/3, positive not equal and Y=??? try and work it out. :biggrin:
Reply 9
cimmie
is my answer right?
at the bottom of the parabola is f'(x)=0... if f'(x)=0 then x=-4/3 :confused:

You differentiated it. Why?
Reply 10
Bhaal85
You differentiated it. Why?

To find the minimum.
Reply 11
clever_lad

This person just wanna know where the vertex, i.e co-ordinate of the lowest point. Not the gradient.

Which is at x=4/3 and Y=32
Reply 12
hex, i completed the square of 3x^2 + 8x + 16

the answer in completed square form is: 3(x + 4)^2 + 32

i then want to find the minimum/least value, and the value of "x" at which this occurs.

Is The minimum value zero, which occurs when x = -4? is this correct or not mate?
Reply 13
clever_lad
hex, i completed the square of 3x^2 + 8x + 16

the answer in completed square form is: 3(x + 4)^2 + 32

i then want to find the minimum//east value, and the value of "x" at which this occurs.

Is The minimum value zero, which occurs when x = -4? is this correct or not mate?

Thats not right. :eek: Look at my working out.
Reply 14
i am correct, you dont ahve a clue what you are talking about
Reply 15
Please can someone go through the 'completing the square' general case procedure for me? It's been a while since Methods you see...
Reply 16
clever_lad
i am correct, you dont ahve a clue what you are talking about

If you say so. I have an A level in maths. I am sure there are many people who will say the same thing, your arrogance has made you dull, dont expect anymore help from me.
Reply 17
ZJuwelH
Please can someone go through the 'completing the square' general case procedure for me? It's been a while since Methods you see...

Which method? Is it the basic one where the coefficient of x^2 is just one, or where its greater than one?
Reply 18
ZJuwelH

Sure, all quadratics can be written in the form x^2 +bx + c.

Now we can note by multiplying out that this is in fact equal to (x+(b/2))^2 + (c - b^2/4).

This procedure of getting the second equation from the first is called completing the square.

By extending this you can work out the more general formula for the solution of a quadratic.
Reply 19
Bhaal85
This person just wanna know where the vertex, i.e co-ordinate of the lowest point. Not the gradient.

Which is at x=4/3 and Y=32

yes but the solution of f'(x) = 0 will give us the minimum value of f(x), which is what we're looking for.

Latest