The Student Room Group

Teaching

I am an early years practitioner however I’m looking to change career as I’ve not had nice experiences in nurseries, the staff are always horrible and this has put me off. I’m interested in primary teaching but I have always been really bad at maths, I’m absolutely fine with other subjects but maths has always been a struggle, can you still be a teacher if this is the case? I feel maths ruins everything for me as I am scared to go into a career if maths is involved.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Jadewilliamsonx
I am an early years practitioner however I’m looking to change career as I’ve not had nice experiences in nurseries, the staff are always horrible and this has put me off. I’m interested in primary teaching but I have always been really bad at maths, I’m absolutely fine with other subjects but maths has always been a struggle, can you still be a teacher if this is the case? I feel maths ruins everything for me as I am scared to go into a career if maths is involved.

Hi @Jadewilliamsonx
Your fear of maths is very common so do not feel like you are alone. In order to become a primary teacher, you will need to have GCSEs in maths, english and science of grade C / level 4 or above. If you do not have the maths, you can either redo a GCSE (most local councils offer free GCSE tuition to adults) or some providers may accept an equivalency qualification instead. You would need to speak to the provider to get advice. Even if you have the GCSE in maths, some people are still not confident. Most teacher training providers will provide support to help you in this, I know many of my student teachers got additional support from their university.

You did not mention whether you already have a degree, but feel free to contact Get into Teaching to talk through the matter further. We are all ex-teachers and the service is free.

Good luck!

Tracy
Original post by Get into Teaching

Hi @Jadewilliamsonx
Your fear of maths is very common so do not feel like you are alone. In order to become a primary teacher, you will need to have GCSEs in maths, english and science of grade C / level 4 or above. If you do not have the maths, you can either redo a GCSE (most local councils offer free GCSE tuition to adults) or some providers may accept an equivalency qualification instead. You would need to speak to the provider to get advice. Even if you have the GCSE in maths, some people are still not confident. Most teacher training providers will provide support to help you in this, I know many of my student teachers got additional support from their university.

You did not mention whether you already have a degree, but feel free to contact Get into Teaching to talk through the matter further. We are all ex-teachers and the service is free.

Good luck!

Tracy

Thank you Tracy! I don’t have exam level maths as I really struggled at school and was always in the bottom class. Even trying to get that level of maths gives me anxiety but I’m scared and I’m avoiding any job that involves maths but I shouldn’t be avoiding jobs just because I’m not so good at something but I did definitely have difficulties with maths at school, I sometimes wonder is it a learning difficulty. I’d be okay with the maths until I had to teach the older kids maths I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Jadewilliamsonx

Hey - you are not bad at maths. You just need to spend some time practicing. Primary maths is not hard and confidence in teaching only comes from confidence gained through practice. Maths is a skill, not a knowledge base so the more you practice, the easier it gets. It is like riding a bike, cooking or playing a musical instrument. Practice makes perfect. Please don't let a lack of practice put you off a potentially rewarding career.
Reply 4
Regardl of how you feel, the bottom line is you need to get a GCSE in maths of C or above or else you can't switch to primary. It's a hard rule from the DoE. So get that GCSE and the. Worry about the after when it comes
Original post by FeiFeiLi
Regardl of how you feel, the bottom line is you need to get a GCSE in maths of C or above or else you can't switch to primary. It's a hard rule from the DoE. So get that GCSE and the. Worry about the after when it comes

Yeah true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending