The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Bhaal85
The answer is:

Y=3((x-2)^2-2r1r3)

Expand this bracket and you get the original equation:

y = 3x^2 - 12x + 5
fantastico!!!! the minimum value, is the minimum value that the y coordinate can be, when we have found the value of x from solving that simple linear equation...i get it!!! and we find this minimum value (y co-ordinate), by solving the quadratic equation (either by differentiation or completing the square) and seeing that the last value at the end of the simplified equation is "-7".i think i get it now.
Reply 122
lollipop

U want it to be the MINIMUM. If 3(x-2)^2, say equalled 2. Then...+2-7, only gives -5

We're not saying 3(x-2)^2 = 2, we're saying x =2! I think me and Bhaal are going to implode pretty soon....
Unregistered
fantastico!!!! the minimum value, is the minimum value that the y coordinate can be, when we have found the value of x from solving that simple linear equation...i get it!!! and we find this minimum value (y co-ordinate), by solving the quadratic equation (either by differentiation or completing the square) and seeing that the last value at the end of the simplified equation is "-7".i think i get it now.

Good stuff (y)
Reply 124
LMAO please calm down

come on now, lets call it quits. Its 12, and we really ought to be in bed sleeping. Instead we are debating over a maths question......lol, I never though this day would come....
Reply 125
theone
We're not saying 3(x-2)^2 = 2, we're saying x =2! I think me and Bhaal are going to implode pretty soon....

'I think I deserve some apprecition, so any REP would be fine'

*blows up into a million pieces*
yes i know, for when x = 2, the minimum value (the y-coordinate this takes) = - 7. using these 2 points, we can then draw the vertex, correct? and if we double differenciate, we can see if its a min or max turning point aswell, correct?
Reply 127
lollipop
LMAO please calm down

come on now, lets call it quits. Its 12, and we really ought to be in bed sleeping. Instead we are debating over a maths question......lol, I never though this day would come....

I'm sorry but this must be the 20th odd time i've explained how to complete the square, and anyway who doesn't get it after that many times just isn't paying enough attention.
lollipop
LMAO please calm down

Lol!!! I agree, I'm off now, I'll see y'all later.
Reply 129
i never sed x didnt = 2. I also sed that x=2 y=-7

lol
Reply 130
lollipop
if we expand he equation

3(x-2)^2 -7
3(x^2 - 4x + 4) -7
3x^2 - 12x + 12 -7
3x^2 -12x +5

Ooh, does that not eqaul the original equation??? I think it does! lol

no, cause you cant have the seven outside like it is.
Reply 131
lollipop
i never sed x didnt = 2. I also sed that x=2 y=-7

lol

thought we we're calling it quits?
Reply 132
Bhaal85
no, cause you cant have the seven outside like it is.

it must be conatined in the bracket like 'a((x-p)^2+q)'
i know how to complete the square and differenciate, i just wanted to clarify the terminology, and you have. i understnad what "minimum value" and "value of x which gives this minimum value" and "minimum/maximum turning point" mean....................ok? happy now?
Reply 134
We are

Please calm down Bhaal85...sorry if i caused any aggro.
Reply 135
Unregistered
i know how to complete the square and differenciate, i just wanted to clarify the terminology, and you have. i understnad what "minimum value" and "value of x which gives this minimum value" and "minimum/maximum turning point" mean....................ok? happy now?

I think the question is are you happy now?
Reply 136
Unregistered

As Jamie Oliver would say 'Luvely Jubberly'
Reply 137
Sorry theone, I would give you rep but it won't let me (but I only gave rep to bhaal this past 24 hrs didn't I...?), don't worry, tomorrow night lad!
Reply 138
so.... can someone explain the process again? :biggrin:
Reply 139
ZJuwelH
Sorry theone, I would give you rep but it won't let me (but I only gave rep to bhaal this past 24 hrs didn't I...?), don't worry, tomorrow night lad!

Nice One! Cheers mate.

Latest