The Student Room Group

Desperate need of advice

Hi,
Basically I need advice, currently studying a BTEC National ICT L3 alongside applied business studies. Through out the first year I discovered psychology, so I started to read some revision guide about the subject, and I loved it , I really found some interesting experiment and theories

Anyways, during my academic tutoring day, I told my tutor I plan to go to uni but have not decided yet what to do. So what dose my tutor do. She calls my head of year, so me my mum and my tutor and my head are in the room.

My head year asked me are you going to do something in ICT as it is the main subject. I said no he asked me why I said to him I find it dull and now boring. Which I don’t regret saying. Anyways I was feeling depressed and it reflected on my work, my tutor said I was failing I should be on distinction (As) not Ms and Ps (Bs and Cs). This gave boost and they carried on saying anything is achievable so forth etc! but then my mentions to my head of year that I am interested psychology .

My head year goes to me you will find it difficult as English writing is not strong point of yours! Then my tutor starts supporting him! They sait too much of a risk play it safe with your degree so forth , he even said u have to readalot theerfor u aren’t goanna be able to cope well that was that was what not he exactly but very close to something like that

Please some one me gives some advice as writing is not my strong point and in psychology you need be able to express your views across etc what my tutor said. Therefore I will struggle.
Reply 1
For a start, who knows you best, your tutor and head of year, or you?

And secondly, who's future is it, your teachers or yours?

What i'm trying to get at is that it is you who should be making decisions about what you want to do in the future, and it is you that should judge what you can and cannot achieve. I let teachers and parents doubt my ability to do a particular subject, which put me off it, and it's something I really regret now.

If you are really interested in psychology then go for it! There is no point doing IT if it is not something you actually want to do. If you are in first year of college/6th form, maybe you can take up psychology as an AS next year. If you are in final year, maybe just look around at uni courses, see if there are any you would be interested in and could do with the qualification you are getting at the moment.

As for writing ability, I'm not sure, we all have our strong points and weaknesses. I am not great at writing either, and essays have been a bit of a problem, but I am slowely improving. And so long as you are interested in what ever you are writing about, I think that is the main thing.

Latest