The Student Room Group

Medical Student Electives 2023

Hi everyone, I'm currently a 4th year medical student trying to plan my elective abroad for this summer along with a group of friends. I haven't seen anyone post about electives this summer so I'm wondering if anyone could help inspire me. Does anyone have any plans/experience with particular companies (which to avoid/go for)? What country is a good, safe place to go for a great trip & opportunity to meet nice people? Thanks :smile:
Hi, not really related to the original Q but I'm curious does every uni do an elective? I personally think it's ridiculous they think we have the money laying round for their pointless extra-curricular placement
Reply 2
can I come?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I'm in the same process trying to plan an elective - I recommend 'The Electives Network' (https://app.electives.net/access-info#hospitals) which you can access via 'medical protection' (I created a free account). It gives you a list of every possible hospital you can do an elective in within every country - just to get you inspired!

As a side note, just wondering whether anyone planning an elective in the US has been successful this year as I've had great difficulty finding a good hospital that'll accept UK medical students (and isn't too pricey). Thanks :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, would like to ask if anyone knows how to apply for a elective in the Royal Papworth Hospital?
I did an elective in Vietnam (cool to see some of the ways things worked, but not much English so i had no idea what was going on) and Malaysia (got signed off on day 2 and went travelling).

It all depends whether you're going for medical experience or life experience. I was going for the latter, and found the trip to Malaysia much more beneficial, but that's just me.
Reply 6
Hi, I'm planning on going to Cebu in the Philippines for my elective this summer. Was wondering if anyone else was going?
Reply 7
Original post by EMJ95
Hi, I'm planning on going to Cebu in the Philippines for my elective this summer. Was wondering if anyone else was going?

hey! im going to Cebu June-july, which hospital are you at?x
Reply 8
Hi, also a 4th year student looking to go on more of a 'life experience' elective than medical. Was just wondering what hospital in Malaysia you went to- where it was possible to get signed off on day 2? Thanks so much
Original post by MedCourse
I did an elective in Vietnam (cool to see some of the ways things worked, but not much English so i had no idea what was going on) and Malaysia (got signed off on day 2 and went travelling).

It all depends whether you're going for medical experience or life experience. I was going for the latter, and found the trip to Malaysia much more beneficial, but that's just me.
Reply 9
Does anyone know which hospitals in Australia accept us? Some are charging crazy fees and I’m just looking for a life experience
Original post by EMJ95

Hi interested in Cebu - did you organise through a company or directly with a hospital
Original post by Carolineeve

Hi interested in Cebu - did you organise through a company or directly with a hospital
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, also a 4th year student looking to go on more of a 'life experience' elective than medical. Was just wondering what hospital in Malaysia you went to- where it was possible to get signed off on day 2? Thanks so much

It was Hospital KL - specifically the ED. Keep in mind that it may have changed (this was 2016!). A friend did Ophthalmology there and had to stay the entire time.
Is there anyone who has gone or is planning on going to New Zealand?
Original post by Carolineeve

Original post by Anonymous

Hi!

Im also a 4th yer med student planning to go to Vietnam this June. Anyone in cho ray hospital in ho chi minh?
Original post by med123456789

Directly through Cebu doctors hospital

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending