The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Interested in engineering? Why not consider Materials Science?

Poll

Have you heard of the subject ‘Materials Science and Engineering’?

We are here to answer your questions about the subject area, what you might study and what kind of career you can expect to get when you graduate.

The subject of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) is an exciting, broad, practical, and interdisciplinary engineering discipline that uses scientific principles from physics, chemistry, and biology to understand, design, discover, and develop new and better materials. It is an enabling discipline for all other types of engineering, as everything we use is made of a material. The screen on which you are reading this, your clothes and electrical devices you are wearing, the building you are in and even you are made from different types of materials. We all live in a ‘material world’.

Take a look around at the materials in front of you, do you know why they have been chosen for that application? Can you think of better alternatives?

It is easy for us to take materials for granted, but every material has been developed and selected to provide the best performance and cost for the job they are used for. However, there are many material challenges still to solve. Higher performing materials for batteries are needed for next generation energy storage, improved lightweight composites for more efficient transportation and new electrical and optical materials to continue the development of digital technologies. These can only be solved through research in Materials Science and Engineering.

What do you think are the greatest environmental challenges today and how do you think new and improved materials might help?

Making materials more sustainable is a high priority. It is recognised by governments worldwide that to meet energy, climate and environmental goals, advances in materials are needed. Research is underway into the removal of rare earth and toxic elements from current materials, development of lower carbon dioxide generating building materials, improved medicine and drug delivery, materials for nuclear waste management and making alternatives to plastics - all of these are fundamental to realising a better future.

Do you have any ideas of how we can make materials more sustainable? What applications do you think should be looked at first and why?

As everything is made of a material, it could be said that all other engineering disciplines rely on the research and developments performed by MSE. With an estimate that 70% of technological innovations occur due to an advancement in materials, it is no wonder that MSE is an incredibly fast-developing field that is always at the cutting edge of technology. You may never have heard of us, but we are there, leading the way and it is your chance to find more about what we do here!

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Good morning! Say I was someone interesting in studying this kind of degree but it's not an area I've studied a lot in the past, what would you say would be the most challenging aspects to get started? What would be some techniques to adapt to these? I do think making materials more sustainable is extremely important and the sciences have always interested me. Thanks and have a great day! :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi, I'm in Y13 and I'm torn between MSE and chemical engineering at the moment. What are the benefits of choosing material science over chem eng or other engineering degrees? I just can't work out which one would be best for me, as I am interested in lots of different aspects of engineering, but really enjoy chemistry in particular. Thanks
Thanks @LaprasOfHyrule for your question. While you may have never studied Materials Science and engineering as a ‘subject’, if you have taken physics and chemistry you will have definitely studied some of the key content that our amazing subject uses. For example, in understanding atomic bonding you can gain insight into how forces might give rise to stresses and strains, and It's those kinds of links between the disciplines that are exciting to understand and exploit to make better materials, and make materials better! (and that's what we do!)

A core concept in materials is how to characterise materials. By linking the material structure, properties, processing and performance together you can learn how to obtain the properties and performance needed for the required applications at the largest scales. This could involve experimental or modelling work applying it to understand atoms to aircraft. There are many material challenges to solve which require this kind of linking. From better performing materials for batteries for next generation energy storage to improved lightweight composites for more efficient transportation to the new electrical and optical materials that are needed to continue the development of digital technologies .. and that's only naming a few!

Making materials sustainable is also a high priority. We can also gain inspiration from nature, which provides a rich selection of sustainable, high performing materials to try and copy, from the stronger than steel silk that spiders spin to hard durable materials such as abalone shells. Research is also underway into the removal of rare earth and toxic elements from current materials, development of lower carbon dioxide generating building materials, improved medicine and drug delivery, materials for nuclear waste management and making alternatives to plastics - all of these are fundamental to realising a better future.

You can actually watch more about what we do here at Sheffield through the Henry Royce institute

I hope that helps answer your question!
Julian
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm in Y13 and I'm torn between MSE and chemical engineering at the moment. What are the benefits of choosing material science over chem eng or other engineering degrees? I just can't work out which one would be best for me, as I am interested in lots of different aspects of engineering, but really enjoy chemistry in particular. Thanks

Thanks for your question. It is always a tough choice especially when the subjects are not taught as "MSE" at GCSE or A’level. The key thing to remember is that there are no bad choices in the world of engineering. As the disciples are so interdisciplinary choosing one almost always ends up with you using two or three to solve a problem! (and almost always involves MSE!)

When you say you enjoy chemistry, I guess one question is what part of chemistry do you find interesting?
Our subject of MSE is an exciting, broad, practical, and interdisciplinary engineering discipline that uses scientific principles from physics, chemistry, and biology to understand, design, discover, and develop new and better materials and then process them into a device or a product for test or use. (you can watch a bit more about us here). It is an incredibly fast-developing field that is always at the cutting edge of technology and ideal for anyone driven by scientific curiosity, who relishes problem solving and enjoys interdisciplinary work. Ultimately it is a fantastic subject for those that want to make a difference in the world around them.

I can't comment too much on Chemical processing (which itself is a really good subject to choose) but it does have some elements of Materials Science and Engineering in, however they are more involved with ‘balance of plant’ - that is, things beyond the materials and devices that are required in process engineering. This could be for rates of gasses, fluids and slurries. They typically look at optimising the process of engineering rather than the actual material. Really interesting and important too!

Finally, one thing i do strongly suggest though is to come and visit us on a pre application open day and see for yourself!

Julian
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by UniofSheffield
We are here to answer your questions about the subject area, what you might study and what kind of career you can expect to get when you graduate.

The subject of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) is an exciting, broad, practical, and interdisciplinary engineering discipline that uses scientific principles from physics, chemistry, and biology to understand, design, discover, and develop new and better materials. It is an enabling discipline for all other types of engineering, as everything we use is made of a material. The screen on which you are reading this, your clothes and electrical devices you are wearing, the building you are in and even you are made from different types of materials. We all live in a ‘material world’.

Take a look around at the materials in front of you, do you know why they have been chosen for that application? Can you think of better alternatives?

It is easy for us to take materials for granted, but every material has been developed and selected to provide the best performance and cost for the job they are used for. However, there are many material challenges still to solve. Higher performing materials for batteries are needed for next generation energy storage, improved lightweight composites for more efficient transportation and new electrical and optical materials to continue the development of digital technologies. These can only be solved through research in Materials Science and Engineering.

What do you think are the greatest environmental challenges today and how do you think new and improved materials might help?

Making materials more sustainable is a high priority. It is recognised by governments worldwide that to meet energy, climate and environmental goals, advances in materials are needed. Research is underway into the removal of rare earth and toxic elements from current materials, development of lower carbon dioxide generating building materials, improved medicine and drug delivery, materials for nuclear waste management and making alternatives to plastics - all of these are fundamental to realising a better future.

Do you have any ideas of how we can make materials more sustainable? What applications do you think should be looked at first and why?

As everything is made of a material, it could be said that all other engineering disciplines rely on the research and developments performed by MSE. With an estimate that 70% of technological innovations occur due to an advancement in materials, it is no wonder that MSE is an incredibly fast-developing field that is always at the cutting edge of technology. You may never have heard of us, but we are there, leading the way and it is your chance to find more about what we do here!

Spoiler

Do you have any tips for a personal statement/the application process for people applying for this course? :smile:

Also what are the requirements for the course? Do you have a link to a course information page for those who may need it?
(edited 1 year ago)
How does the MSE course different from a more traditional engineering degree?

Are there employers who would prefer one over the other?
Thanks @BurstingBubbles for your question. Yeah, so our entry requirements for our BEng (3 year course) are AAB (or equivalent) requiring two from Chemistry, Physics or Maths (YEP, we don’t REQUIRE maths if you have physics and chemistry as we will teach you what you need on the course!)
Our MEng (4 years) has entry requirements of AAA or equivalent (again including two Chemistry, Physics or Maths) - you can read more about all our courses from our pages here.

Our process starts with your application being received by our team through UCAS. If you look to meet the course requirements we shall invite you to an interview, which includes an informal chat with one of our academic team and a chance for you to ask all the questions you have to both staff and current students about studying with us. These have ranged from “what materials do you work with?”, “how many hours of contact time do you have?”, to “do you have a brass band society i could join?”
(Answers: Everything you can think of and more, up to 24 hours per week, yes)

My top tips for writing personal statements for our courses are to be honest and open! We read a lot of statements that start with “it all began when I started reading Stuff matters by Mark Miodownik ...”, and while it is a good book (and if you haven't read it, I do recommend it), explaining more specifically why YOU want to study MSE and what you want to do with it in the future is much better!

Try to include specific examples of what has inspired you and also what you like doing. There is nothing better than reading a rounded personal statement that covers not only your academic achievements but your interests and accomplishments outside of college and school!

I hope that helps and good luck in your applications!

Julian
Great question @04MR17 - when you say more 'traditional engineering degree' do you mean Mechanical, Civil etc? While they are the ones we might first think of, historically MSE can be traced further back, as it is one of the oldest types of engineering there is (think blacksmith for example who are materials engineering!)

Materials graduates gain success in many different careers and areas such as science, engineering, finance, business and even law. Some choose to continue studying (PhD, MSc) while many go directly into a job after graduation. In our MSE course not only do you get the interdisciplinary skills but gain industrial experience from the industrial contact on our course (for example on our MEng you have our industrial training programme, a 3-5 month paid placement and undertake the 'artefacts' project). You will find most MSE graduate prospects are high too, you can see that for example on here

The MSE courses differ only from other engineering courses in their focus. A student on a typical materials course would study through lectures, practicals and tutorials how different classes of materials behave, including ceramic, composite, metals, nano-materials, and polymers. This includes understanding the unique properties of each class and the fundamental scientific reasons of why they occur. Processing is also a large part of the subject, learning, for example, the benefits and challenges of using additive manufacturing (e.g. 3D printing) versus a typical sintering or casting method. While some of this is taught in other disciplines (e.g. mechanical, aerospace) materials students are experts on materials, and as mentioned before - as every is made of a material, that MSE expertise, underpins all other types of engineering!

Julian
Original post by UniofSheffield
Thanks @BurstingBubbles for your question. Yeah, so our entry requirements for our BEng (3 year course) are AAB (or equivalent) requiring two from Chemistry, Physics or Maths (YEP, we don’t REQUIRE maths if you have physics and chemistry as we will teach you what you need on the course!)
Our MEng (4 years) has entry requirements of AAA or equivalent (again including two Chemistry, Physics or Maths) - you can read more about all our courses from our pages here.

Our process starts with your application being received by our team through UCAS. If you look to meet the course requirements we shall invite you to an interview, which includes an informal chat with one of our academic team and a chance for you to ask all the questions you have to both staff and current students about studying with us. These have ranged from “what materials do you work with?”, “how many hours of contact time do you have?”, to “do you have a brass band society i could join?”
(Answers: Everything you can think of and more, up to 24 hours per week, yes)

My top tips for writing personal statements for our courses are to be honest and open! We read a lot of statements that start with “it all began when I started reading Stuff matters by Mark Miodownik ...”, and while it is a good book (and if you haven't read it, I do recommend it), explaining more specifically why YOU want to study MSE and what you want to do with it in the future is much better!

Try to include specific examples of what has inspired you and also what you like doing. There is nothing better than reading a rounded personal statement that covers not only your academic achievements but your interests and accomplishments outside of college and school!

I hope that helps and good luck in your applications!

Julian

Really helpful information for everyone, thank you :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending