The Student Room Group

Biology to occupational therapy??

Hi,

I have been thinking a lot about myself and what I want from life and I have realised that I want to help people and to support them in life. I decided to do a biology degree, and have started my second year, but I don't see myself going down this pathway at all.

I have wondered whether anyone else has been in this situation? I am seriously considering dropping out and rethinking my career as it is so different to what I'm currently doing. Looking at plants an doing bio related tests is really interesting but it is not fulfilling my drive to support others or to have an impact on their lives.

Before now, I considered trying to get onto a graduate medicine course but I now believe that my interests and ambitions are more linked to person centred care rather than the scientific application to human health. I want to be able to have a close impact and relationship with people I am working with and to help them to live their lives, whether this is adults with learning disabilities or children struggling in schools.

Would anyone be able to provide any advice for me on this? Financially, dropping out would not be the most viable option for me as I have already used my 'gift' year of funding and have started my second year but nothing feels right and I can't seem to see the point in what I'm doing. This has made me become very behind on work and I am struggling with my mental health because of it. I have spoken to my academic advisor about this and she has said that I can either carry on and try to do a graduate course or to drop out now, get work experience in the field and perhaps a job to pay for my accommodation (which is another issue!!) then reapply when I feel more stable in my decisions.

Does anyone know what they would do in my situation?? Any replies are greatly appreciated 😊
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by juniper_542
Hi,

I have been thinking a lot about myself and what I want from life and I have realised that I want to help people and to support them in life. I decided to do a biology degree, and have started my second year, but I don't see myself going down this pathway at all.

I have wondered whether anyone else has been in this situation? I am seriously considering dropping out and rethinking my career as it is so different to what I'm currently doing. Looking at plants an doing bio related tests is really interesting but it is not fulfilling my drive to support others or to have an impact on their lives.

Before now, I considered trying to get onto a graduate medicine course but I now believe that my interests and ambitions are more linked to person centred care rather than the scientific application to human health. I want to be able to have a close impact and relationship with people I am working with and to help them to live their lives, whether this is adults with learning disabilities or children struggling in schools.

Would anyone be able to provide any advice for me on this? Financially, dropping out would not be the most viable option for me as I have already used my 'gift' year of funding and have started my second year but nothing feels right and I can't seem to see the point in what I'm doing. This has made me become very behind on work and I am struggling with my mental health because of it. I have spoken to my academic advisor about this and she has said that I can either carry on and try to do a graduate course or to drop out now, get work experience in the field and perhaps a job to pay for my accommodation (which is another issue!!) then reapply when I feel more stable in my decisions.

Does anyone know what they would do in my situation?? Any replies are greatly appreciated 😊

Hi @juniper_542

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling unsure about your current path - it can be really difficult at university when so many people appear to have their path figured out.

I'm currentlly in my 2nd year of the MSc Occupational Therapy course at the University of Southampton. It's a pre-registration course too so I'll come out with the same result as if I'd done the undergraduate course it's just that I had already completed a degree in BSc Education and Psychology. I was unsure what I wanted to do following my degree and almost stumbled across Occupational Therapy and I haven't looked back since.

As you highlighted - if you are interested in occupational therapy there are two routes - changing course and starting fresh next year or completing your degree and then taking the postgraduate route. There is also the option of 4 year apprenticeships for occupational therapy so you can learn and work at the same time.

In terms of funding, currently the masters occupational therapy course is funded like an undergraduate course in which tuition fees are covered by a loan and you get the normal means tested maintenace loan. This is different from how normal masters courses are funded and definitiley helps financially. Eligible healthcare courses (including OT) currently also get a bursary to help with funding the course and time on placements.

Unfortunatley, only you can make the direct choice of what you do. If you finish your course and do the masters or end your degree and restart OT next year you'll be at university for 5 years either way (3 year undergrad + 2 year OT MSc or 2 years biology/working + 3 year OT BSc). One thing that helped me when I was choosing degrees was to do a pros and cons list so you may find it helpful to do this with your choices too. It might also be helpful if your university runs an occupational therapy degree to see if you can contact any lecturers to find out more about the course or if you're thinking of another university for OT to go to their open day. Although it can be really difficult to obtain, shadowing OTs is also a great way to understand the profession.

I hope that helps - of course if you have any specific questions about occupational therapy or about doing the masters route please let me know - I'd be more than happy to try and answer your questions! It's always great to hear when someone is interested in OT.

Katie
Unviersity of Southampton rep
Reply 2
Hi
Please I just got an.offer for msc occupational please I need your advise pls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending