The Student Room Group

Mock MMIs

Hi, I’m applying for medicine starting in 2023 and have began my interview prep. I was just wondering if doing mock MMI circuits are a necessary part of prep?
Hi, I am a final year med student. When I applied I got one invite for interviews and an offer thanks to that. I did not attend any mock circuits because I was not living in the UK at that time. I felt hugely underprepared and I regret not attending mock MMIs. Now that I am applying for jobs as a doctor through the UKFPO, I have to do interviews as well and I am planning on doing another 3 mocks before my interviews (I have already done two) - I am seeing such a difference in prep from one mock to the other. Mocks are honestly fundamental if you want to be well-prepared. Many societies and organisations organise free mocks or some very cheap ones. Good luck
Hi Sofia,
Mock MMIs are a really common way that students use to prepare. The general feedback that we hear from students is that our mock MMIs prepare them in 2 different ways- it not only gives the student experience in asking common interview questions, but it also gives the student a taste of what the atmosphere of an MMI is like. A MMI is fast paced with lots of moving around, which is very different to the sit down exams that you would have done previously, and a lot of students aim to simulate that environment. We run a weekly MMI circuit if you're interested in finding out more.

Having said that, it's really important to state that you don't have to have done mock MMIs in order to do well in one. I know of multiple people who did no such mocks, but who instead planned and practiced their answers with their families/close friends, and these are people who are currently approaching the end of their medical degrees.

In conclusion, MMI mocks can be really useful depending on how you've prepared so far, but they are by no means necessary to do well in the real thing. The important thing is to focus on the 'common' questions that could come up and making sure that you have 2-3 detailed points filled with reflection and linking your achievements to medicine.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by MedicMind
Hi Sofia,
Mock MMIs are a really common way that students use to prepare. The general feedback that we hear from students is that our mock MMIs prepare them in 2 different ways- it not only gives the student experience in asking common interview questions, but it also gives the student a taste of what the atmosphere of an MMI is like. A MMI is fast paced with lots of moving around, which is very different to the sit down exams that you would have done previously, and a lot of students aim to simulate that environment. We run a weekly MMI circuit if you're interested in finding out more.

Having said that, it's really important to state that you don't have to have done mock MMIs in order to do well in one. I know of multiple people who did no such mocks, but who instead planned and practiced their answers with their families/close friends, and these are people who are currently approaching the end of their medical degrees.

In conclusion, MMI mocks can be really useful depending on how you've prepared so far, but they are by no means necessary to do well in the real thing. The important thing is to focus on the 'common' questions that could come up and making sure that you have 2-3 detailed points filled with reflection and linking your achievements to medicine.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind

Hi! I have an upcoming interview at UEA, in mmi format, and was wondering if you have any advice on how to prepare and what the MMI structure is? e.g., are drug calculations for instance, involved? I'm quire nervous about this interview and am not sure where to begin my preparation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending