The Student Room Group

Would you be in favour of affirmative action for university admissions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WADR
But that isn't how it works in practice. You can't get a job as a surgeon just because you're black. You have to be suitably qualified and experienced.
And millionaires don't qualify for scholarships, etc. and won't be struggling to find a job in the first place. :confused:

The whole point of affirmative action is to redress an imbalance caused by discrimination based on skin colour. Ignoring race only helps those who don't suffer discrimination based on race.

No one is talking about getting a job, we are talking about university admissions so idk why you keep talking about jobs.
The thread is should we take race into account in admissions process. The answer is no. Affirmative action is just another form of discrimination as I said class and wealth is a far bigger factor to consider than race.
Reply 21
Original post by ALEreapp
No one is talking about getting a job, we are talking about university admissions so idk why you keep talking about jobs.
The thread is should we take race into account in admissions process. The answer is no. Affirmative action is just another form of discrimination as I said class and wealth is a far bigger factor to consider than race.

I don't see a problem with favouring both in order to redress an imbalance. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Both black people and disadvantaged whites are under-represented in many universities, especially the better ones. Why are some people so set against helping the black people but happy to help the whites?

And the same response applies with your millionaire argument. They wouldn't be at the end of the queue hoping for a helping hand. They would already have gone to the best schools, had extra help, got excellent grades - or daddy buys them a place.
Come on, really? Affirmative action is wrong cuz black millionaires? :rolleyes:
Original post by WADR
I don't see a problem with favouring both in order to redress an imbalance. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Both black people and disadvantaged whites are under-represented in many universities, especially the better ones. Why are some people so set against helping the black people but happy to help the whites?

And the same response applies with your millionaire argument. They wouldn't be at the end of the queue hoping for a helping hand. They would already have gone to the best schools, had extra help, got excellent grades - or daddy buys them a place.
Come on, really? Affirmative action is wrong cuz black millionaires? :rolleyes:

You don’t redress imbalance by inflicting more discrimination. Skin colour is irrelevant to who we should help, we should be helping anyone who needs help but that should be irrespective of skin colour and skin colour should be irrelevant to any of that help.
I do find it funny how you focus on one single sentence, affirmative action would give that BAME millionaire a helping hand just because of skin colour whilst pushing down someone who’s not been afforded those privileges just because they aren’t BAME. Why do some people think BAME people are not capable of achieving things in their own? Why do some people think they need to be spoon fed in order to achieve things? It’s a very strange concept.
Affirmative action is wrong cuz racism 😊
Original post by WADR
But that isn't how it works in practice. You can't get a job as a surgeon just because you're black. You have to be suitably qualified and experienced.
And millionaires don't qualify for scholarships, etc. and won't be struggling to find a job in the first place. :confused:

The whole point of affirmative action is to redress an imbalance caused by discrimination based on skin colour. Ignoring race only helps those who don't suffer discrimination based on race.

I have friends who parents in early 90s brought their council properties in London for around £10000 to £15000 now the properties are worth over a million. They are on a low income but because the value of their home their property millionaires the neighbours on the same income who never brought their home their children can get scholarships.
Reply 24
Original post by looloo2134
I have friends who parents in early 90s brought their council properties in London for around £10000 to £15000 now the properties are worth over a million. They are on a low income but because the value of their home their property millionaires the neighbours on the same income who never brought their home their children can get scholarships.

That is rubbish. I have been through the application process myself and it is based purely on income. The value of your home is not taken into consideration.
Nice try though. I bet some people were nodding their heads and thinking "yeah, so unfair that black people get help!"

And no one bought a council house in London in the 90s for £10-15K. Add a nought and I might believe you.
Original post by WADR
That is rubbish. I have been through the application process myself and it is based purely on income. The value of your home is not taken into consideration.
Nice try though. I bet some people were nodding their heads and thinking "yeah, so unfair that black people get help!"

And no one bought a council house in London in the 90s for £10-15K. Add a nought and I might believe you.

Why are not asking why Traveller children and white working class boys from the North East seaside town are going unfunded schools and not passing their GCSEs.
Reply 26
Why are not asking why Traveller children and white working class boys from the North East seaside town are going unfunded schools and not passing their GCSEs.

People are asking. The main answer is real-terms cuts in education funding, year on year, by the Tories - plus ever-increasing bureaucracy which hampers teachers from actually teaching. Another answer is parents who don't care about their children's education or think it's important. These are problems that affect most demographics.

BTW, no one misses out on primary or secondary education because of black children going to school. Time to give this a rest, methinks.
Reply 27
Original post by WADR
How strange that you call a well-intentioned, if possibly flawed, means of addressing systemic and institutional racism as "revolting".
When added to all your other posts on a variety of such issues, your agenda has become all too clear.
We shall not be corresponding again.

Not especially, at least to those who dont believe in racial discrimination. Given your, amusing response, i can only presume that that is precisely what you believe in.
Thats, of course, leaving aside your warped logic that if something is done with the best of intentions its okay. Need i remind you that the path to hell is paved with such things. Does this mean you sympathise with the eugenicists, racial purists, sexists etc. because their beliefs came from a 'good place'? :smile:
Original post by ALEreapp
Why do some people think BAME people are not capable of achieving things in their own?
Why do some people think they need to be spoon fed in order to achieve things? It’s a very strange concept.

Affirmative action is wrong

Generally all the same reasons why some people believe that females, those raised by single parents, gay people, orphans, people with a few specific disabilities/physical difficulties and estranged students who fled abusive households or insanely toxic relatives are utterly incapable of positively achieving on their own.

Mostly due their own delusional mass rock bottom expectations of huge groups of other people that the generally barely know.
Occassionally also a combination of personal obsessive snobbery (sometimes including inverse snobbery or fake sjw agendas that they don't completely believe in), grandstanding habits and tiresome ancient dogmatic commitments.
It's often a range of patronising and smugly obnoxious 'saviour syndrome' type of attitudes being directed at those specific groups that they are targeting as 'doomed to fail' or 'hopeless cases' unless their recommended intervention is implemented.
With a sizeable proportion far too arrogant to ever consider some subtlety with their smug handouts-condescending tones of voice-fake pity routines.
Many have just lost of all the common sense they once had and overdosed after many years of getting high on their own 'lord bountiful' public personas.

The reality tends to be that their own delusional rock bottom expectations in relation to those groups that they target are completely irrational and they very frequently have the situation backwards.
Having pointed the finger of charity/pity floods at the very individuals that already have all the ingredients for long term success that they themselves utterly lack.
Ten times their work ethic, at least twice their academic & professional talents, a million times better people skills, much more ambitious and less than 2% of their egos.
Yet still insist upon viewing as 'helpless incompetents' in desperate need of their help.
Reply 29

Well, one should have thought it was obvious, thosae are the wrong sort of disadvantaged. The eternal irony of said movements (which in of themselves are technically good, if somewhat perverse in this sense) is less helping all needy people but only specific groupings.
Be it Ukrainian war victims, whilst leaving the others to burn. Specific poor minorities whilst ignoring the others etc.
Lifes cruel, unfortunately. Although, the least the proponents of such policies could do is own up to the inherent slant (or simple bigotry) of their beliefs. Given the responses youve seen though, i rather doubt theyre capable of such honesty.
Nah take me in because you genuinely believe in me, don't take me in to tick some quota box and then when I actually complain about having received proper discrimination (if I were to receive it) it won't be taken seriously just be a case of "muh the university is diverse" and stuff, "how can there be discrimination?" kind of thing in my opinion.

Don't use me a pawn to fuel your (talking about the unis) agenda, look at my grades, schooling background, special education needs, economical background then be done with me and accept/reject me based on faith and merit, no need to put my race into the equation (even if I always choose to specify it) it's not relevant. Also none of the "first/not first generation to go to uni" stuff either.

Dang the tone of this comment what the heck man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending