The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Student at Aberdeen Uni while living in Dundee??

Ok, so I'm now in my last year of school (S6) and I'm planning on applying to some universities. I am looking at courses in music but specifically in music education (a career in teaching is my main interest) which is offered at Aberdeen. Basically what I want to ask is do you think studying in Aberdeen while staying in my hometown of Dundee is possible?
Original post by hemispheres1978
Ok, so I'm now in my last year of school (S6) and I'm planning on applying to some universities. I am looking at courses in music but specifically in music education (a career in teaching is my main interest) which is offered at Aberdeen. Basically what I want to ask is do you think studying in Aberdeen while staying in my hometown of Dundee is possible?

How often will you need to attend?

What is your door to door time in the morning rush hour using whatever mode of transport you plan to use?

Where are the available placements?
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Know a few people who’ve done that (even from Fife/Edi up to Aberdeen) it’s a great uni with amazing uni lifestyle but you may miss this not living there and not have full experience (which you may get from Dundee uni, which is a very good Uni too)
Original post by 3Engineer141592
Know a few people who’ve done that (even from Fife/Edi up to Aberdeen) it’s a great uni with amazing uni lifestyle but you may miss this not living there and not have full experience (which you may get from Dundee uni, which is a very good Uni too)

Yeah that’s the downside I think I probably won’t experience the full “Uni life” that everybody talks about lol. My uncle who just graduated is urging me to move away for Uni cuz it isn’t as fun if you stay at home apparently (which sounds about right haha) and he regrets not moving.
Hi, just want to say that we can't really advise on what decision you should make but I can lay out some of the details of what commuting would involve.

Depending on your schedule commuting would be doable, but may essentially be like commuting for a full time job. Different modules do have different amounts of teaching hours but during first year you are taking 4 modules a term in this course which can add up. You may be able to timetable these classes so you aren't on campus 5 days a week (you can often timetable classes for 4 or occasionally even 3 days a week) but that could still involve needing to be here for 9am especially if you pack your classes into a few days. You can have a look at the modules and even a representative timetable by clicking the module links in the 'What You'll Study' section of the course page here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/804/XW13/music-education/

It's also worth noting that the University is not super near the city's transport stations in Union Square, and so if you were taking the train for example it would either be another bus ride or a 40 minute walk to campus. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit doom and gloom but just want to be sure I give you an accurate picture of what you'd be looking at if you decided to commute.

That all being said it is still a possibility if you did want to stay at home for whatever reason, and the uni terms last for about 2 and a half months or so, so it would not be a matter of commuting the whole year round. It's obviously a personal decision where you need to weigh up the practicalities of transport as well as the personal factors of uni social life and home life, but if you would like any further information or advice please get back in contact.
Especially if you have any questions about how to apply or details about living on campus, we can certainly help! All the best.

- Matthew, Enquiry Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending